The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Catching Bait  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Catching Bait
« on: Feb 14, 2020, 08:48 AM »
Do any of you folks catch your own bait for ice fishing? If so what do you use?
I’m gonna drown some 4-6 inch creek chubs tonight.

Keep yer worms warm!

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
Re: Catching Bait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:07 AM »
I have heard people use dog food.  If I have any left over pepperoni pizza I catch nice chubs and minnows with the pizza.  Otherwise old bread also works!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:10 AM »
I used a pole and line with a pinched barb. Problem is that you’ve gotta weed through the pesky trout.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:20 AM »
Drop a minnow trap in a deep hole in the creek with some pepperoni pizza...you will catch enough after one or two drops.

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2020, 10:53 AM »
I have 2 streams by my house and catch my own bait. I use dog food in mine. I have also found using a black minnow trap verses an unfinished trap you will catch a lot more in the black trap. Don't know why just know it to be a fact.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2020, 11:20 AM »
Makes sense- a black trap would be harder to see.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2020, 11:53 AM »
I have a small pond with golden shiners in it. Along with a small piece of bread I put a crushed saltine cracker in each trap. The cracker crumbs form a cloud around the trap that draws the minnows in like crazy.

Offline Dpatton2118

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2020, 12:46 PM »
I always used little kite-nets in a deep creek hole- carry a piece of bread or other food you can ball up to make sink, and just toss pieces of bait on top of where the net is sunk on the bottom. You just have to be quick on the pull.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:35 AM »
I seem to do better with my traps in the warmer months. In the winter I find I catch more in an hour or so with rod and reel. You just have to pinch the barbs and handle them carefully. Sometimes I get big fall fish like these.

Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2020, 07:38 PM »
 I bought a black trap a couple of years ago(all Walmart had at the time).... so far the only thing I've got has been some tiny sunnies at a local lake. Was hoping to get the shiners that cruise the shoreline. Also soaked it in a creek a couple of times with no luck. Tried dog food + bread/crackers I was starting to think the black stands out too much  ???

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2020, 05:27 AM »
In my black trap I use a piece of tortilla balled up. The lard in the tortilla helps keep it from falling apart. I know it’s not pizza but it works. Winter is tough for traps. If I put mine in a little creek overnight in warmer temps I almost always end up with a nice bucket of red fins and daces. Chubs are usually too big for the small traps.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline rabbitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2020, 02:07 PM »
I’ve never tried in Winter but I do have a suggestion.   I read years ago that fish detect sugar very well.  I had always just used plain bread but after reading that article in Fur Fish and Game,  I started smearing jelly on the bread.  My catch rate easily tripled with the jelly.  I don’t know how well it will work in winter but it’s worth a try.   Anytime I set a minnow trap, I always put jelly on the bread now.   

Offline Borealis82

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A bad day of ice fishing is like a sore peter...
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2020, 08:27 PM »
I always throw a slice of American cheese in with my bread and I feel it has greatly increased my trap numbers. I have no reasoning other than I was out of bread once and that's all I had and ended up with a trap full of bait lol. Note on the black traps from Walmart.....buddy and I have both experienced having all our chubs swim back out of them. Checked it and had a decent amount but left it in longer only to come back and have none. I'm switching back to the old galvanized one.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:12 AM »
I’m gonna throw a trap tomorrow and see how it goes. The jelly and cheese are both interesting ideas.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:11 AM »
I let mine soak with saltines and hamburger bun over the whole weekend.  Not a single minnow.  I may get out the fly rod and nymphs to catch some chubs.  Regarding the black vs galvanized discussion.  I've also noted poor catching from the black painted traps.  I actually bought a second trap (a galvanized one)because of this issue. 

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2020, 04:30 PM »
I had a great time fishing for bait except I keep catching trout, I hate trout lol.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Pulled my trap yesterday only had 32 mostly medium and larges. I only use dog food.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2020, 09:45 AM »
I have used dog food velveta cheese cat food plain white bread works best for me.3-5 hrs of time also produces most numbers.pulled out a trap years ago that I left in all night and there was no minows but a dead water snake and some crayfish muching on the dead snake

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2020, 09:49 AM »
I agree that 3.5 - 4 hours max.  Either they swim out or I dunno but I would agree I left one over night...nothing but crayfish.

Offline ddgst7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Check out my IG @perfect_drifter412
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2020, 01:31 PM »
Cheese cubes, they gorge on it and get little pot bellies and the cheese makes em stinky!
Army Vet OEF 2012-2014
Clam Nanook XL Thermal
Haat Custom Rods
Mags Custom Rods

Offline Kevin m

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2020, 03:38 PM »
Tried putting jelly on my bread and i caight mor chubs than i have all winter.  Unfortunately did not translate into any real fish.  Got skunked yesterday at Arthur through the ice, then got skunked on the allegheny today out of the kayak.

Offline rabbitslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2020, 06:58 PM »
Awesome!   I’m glad it worked for you. Unfortunately, I don’t have many tricks for catching the actual target fish.   

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2020, 05:26 AM »
I need to try this jelly thing....

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2020, 08:49 AM »
Cheese cubes, they gorge on it and get little pot bellies and the cheese makes em stinky!
its complex?if you use your caught bait today or tomorrow throw all your kitchen scraps in your trap like eggs,cheese dog and cat food etc etc etc youll get em.buttttttttttttttttt t if you got a tank your water gonna be soiled in a day with all the fecal matter no lol, so i use a canocat food crack lid or punch holes in it it smells they go in trap but dont eat it?then i modify holes in trap pinch them closed not all the way but your pinky size they squeeze in but cant swim out?MO JR told me if you dont see bait in deep hole move in creek till you see them thats the hole for you
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:11 AM »
If I did that all I would catch is catfish

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2020, 01:02 PM »
One more little secret, last year I took a 5 gallon pale w/lid and drilled a bunch of 3/16" dia holes in sides, top and bottom. I store my bait from one trip to the next in the stream next to my house. Bait stays nice and healthy all winter long. Down side is it can be a PITA to get the bucket out when the stream freezes over. Much better than changing water in tanks airaters and filters though.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2020, 01:48 PM »
One more little secret, last year I took a 5 gallon pale w/lid and drilled a bunch of 3/16" dia holes in sides, top and bottom. I store my bait from one trip to the next in the stream next to my house. Bait stays nice and healthy all winter long. Down side is it can be a PITA to get the bucket out when the stream freezes over. Much better than changing water in tanks airaters and filters though.
I do the same. Gotta watch out for high water. Can mess with your bait bucket, get debris in, etc

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.