New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 109605 times)

Offline sounder211

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #270 on: Feb 25, 2013, 02:21 PM »
 ::) I've been told the Alewifes may have been taken out of the lake by DEC... :-\
"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #271 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:47 PM »
How would the DEC take them out?

Offline yarn em in

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #272 on: Feb 25, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Some of you guys are crazy. No body ever said anything about the trout dying .  They said the alewife are dead .  And the trout  are just adjusting from eating meat to Eatin plants ,Like they use too . before alewifes were introduce . The only thing people were talking about was how there were not as many 15in and smaller trout in the nets . But one of the reasons is because they were eating alewife,  if you look up the grow rate  it  is twice as fast  as it use to be when they ate mostly plants .so fish that would apear to be older by size . Would actually be a year or years younger. Than they are.  this would make them seam to apear to be starving , while they wait for the rest of there body to catch up . Just like a person would if the swithched from Eatin meat to plants , u would lose weight .  I don't think a fish like a lake trout would starve in a lake full of fish . When people start to say they see trout dead then we should start to worry . Hope fully Dec will figure out some kind of bait situation. Like smelt .befor any did die  . Now there's not as many  alewife smelt would do good . Cause  competition for food and they actually eat smaller smelt and the eggs . Alewife Can get so bad they can take up to 95%  of the fish mass in a lake .
huh? ??? :cookoo:

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #273 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:42 PM »
Some interesting reading from 1996 on the history of the fishery..........

http://www.oneonta.edu/academics/biofld/PUBS/SOL/sol33.html

Sorry, no help for the vegetarian Lake Trout theory.

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #274 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:16 PM »
Haha not acuually plants  but bugs .  . Invetabrates and sculptins .

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #275 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:37 AM »
Some interesting reading from 1996 on the history of the fishery..........

http://www.oneonta.edu/academics/biofld/PUBS/SOL/sol33.html

Sorry, no help for the vegetarian Lake Trout theory.

I hope everyone takes the time to read that.

Offline sounder211

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #276 on: Feb 26, 2013, 08:32 AM »
How would the DEC take them out?

I would think either by netting or a targeted kill but I don't know for sure. It's obvious that suddenly they are gone and the trout are thinner ???.
"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #277 on: Feb 26, 2013, 11:29 AM »
I would think either by netting or a targeted kill but I don't know for sure. It's obvious that suddenly they are gone and the trout are thinner ???.

That is about the most far-fetched thing I have EVER heard.

1st question: Why?

2nd question: How?

Alewive populatioins are a volitile, cyclical thing, they simply suffered a massive die-off coupled with increased predation.  End of story.

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #278 on: Feb 26, 2013, 12:32 PM »
That is about the most far-fetched thing I have EVER heard.

1st question: Why?

2nd question: How?

Alewive populatioins are a volitile, cyclical thing, they simply suffered a massive die-off coupled with increased predation.  End of story.

:clap: :thumbsup: ;D

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #279 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Well I gotta say that out of the last dozen Lakers that I put on the ice I have only seen a couple that were "skinny". Today two were landed and they were well proportioned and some of the better coloring I've seen they had that dark skin with dark spots compared to the skinny silver ones. Makes me wonder how there can be two totally diffrent looking fish of the same species, there is more to it than starving fish IMO.

Also today the guy I fished with and I witnessed probably hundreds of suckers moving through our holes, this took place for well over an hour so how many of them were there, every time we looked down the holes today the bottom was moving with these BAITFISH hmmm??? 

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #280 on: Feb 26, 2013, 07:22 PM »
I hope everyone takes the time to read that.

It's definitely time well spent! I remember reading the "State of the Lake" report when it 1st came out.
I haven't always agreed with some of the positions taken by the BFS, but the fisheries portion of that report was some nice work. 

Offline robbie321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #281 on: Feb 27, 2013, 03:17 PM »
have been fishing on otsego lake a lot this year I'm getting 1 or 2 walleye a day but mostly lakers is any one limiting out, Ive tyred all kinds of jigs an lures just minnow are working

Offline jjankuv

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The texture of the meat on cold water fish is yum!
« Reply #282 on: Feb 27, 2013, 07:53 PM »
can some one tell me what to use for a jig and bait i would like to hook on  a lake trout?

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #283 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:21 PM »
can some one tell me what to use for a jig and bait i would like to hook on  a lake trout?

There are lots of great choices in jigs and lures.  Here are my three favorites:

Swedish Pimple, #7, White

3/4 oz Buck Shot Spoon in Rainbow Color

White Tube Jig

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Mike

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
« Reply #284 on: Feb 27, 2013, 09:40 PM »
Hows the ice holding up after this rain crap?  Me and my grandfather may make the 1 1/2 hour drive to try to get our first lakers if the ice looks good.  Any tips to get a laker or two? 

Offline mohawkmonsters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #285 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:17 AM »
Trapper there are two strains of lake trout in the lake different looks for each strain also different looks among same strains

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #286 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:46 AM »
Trapper there are two strains of lake trout in the lake different looks for each strain also different looks among same strains

That explains it, wasnt sure if that was the diffrence or not. Seems the silver colored ones are the ones that are in rough shape.

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #287 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Hows the ice holding up after this rain crap?  Me and my grandfather may make the 1 1/2 hour drive to try to get our first lakers if the ice looks good.  Any tips to get a laker or two?

scroll up the page, or read through the thread  good luck ;D

Offline tatoice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #288 on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:20 AM »
I fished otsego a few weeks ago and got skunked.  I was wondering if i could get some tips on fishing this lake.  We fished the cooperston end and couldnt even catch a perch.  i was wondering if the glimmerglass end would have better luck.  my brother is new to ice fishing and we get skunked everytime i take him so i just wanna get some fish on the ice.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline Glimmerglassking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #289 on: Mar 01, 2013, 06:14 PM »
fish there a lot in warmer weather. always wanted to ice fish there.  How deep were you fishing - thought it would be good there.

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #290 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Lakers have been all over the water column this year. I've hit fish everywhere from 10' to 90'. I'm not sure how the boys fishing the deeps just north of 3 mile have been doing, but the deeper water out of Glimmerglass has produced.

Spread your sets from top to bottom if your fishing Tip ups. I like the top 3' to 5' feet under the ice for at least 1 or 2 of my sets. Brown's, Salmon and even Lake Trout sometimes like to cruise just under the ice. 

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #291 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:29 PM »
I'm a rookie at Lakers and I'm going to Otsego in the morning. With tip-ups is it on with a #8 treble and 3-4ft of 8lb flourocarbon for a leader? And with Lakers do you usually let em take it for a minute or two or hit em as soon as you can? And how do you stop bigger minnows from tripping the tip-up? Went to Fish307 in Lake George and picked up some hunts. They said they will work good. They're probly 4 inches long. Any info would be great. Thanks...

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #292 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Sorry for being a rookie but I was also told to space the sinkers out. Like 1 ft apart. Is this ok, or just go with 1 sinker a foot up? Thanks again...

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #293 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:43 PM »
I set the hook when they stop also use #4 red octopus or #6 red eagle claw with 4" 8lb floro leaded with sinker a foot up. My t/u's have tenison adjust w/o that not sure how to keep the min. from trippin. Good luck was dead for me out there today

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #294 on: Mar 01, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Sorry for being a rookie but I was also told to space the sinkers out. Like 1 ft apart. Is this ok, or just go with 1 sinker a foot up? Thanks again...

I use a single sinker 12" above my bait. For a leader I use 6 lb Fluorocarbon with a #4 or #6 Baitholder or a #8 Treb. I know guys that swear by 10 lb. but I have always preferred lighter line. You can lose more fish, but you get more runs. Just remember to play them soft when you bring them in.   

I have never tried spacing sinkers on a tip up rig, so I can't say how well it works.

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #295 on: Mar 02, 2013, 04:15 PM »
Well I finally made it to Otsego with 3 friends of mine. We fished off Glimmerglass. My buddy was the only one to catch anything. 1 Laker 20 inches, and the 1 in the picture 31 inches. Both off the same tip-up. 25 ft of water but only 7 ft down. No flags anywhere else. Seen a couple other anglers catch a couple Lakers too. I got plenty of fillets so it didn't really matter cause I know I'll be back. Good times. Anybody got a hit of where the chance of catching a good walleye in the lake would be? PM me if needed. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #296 on: Mar 02, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Wow. I guess I should of resized it or something lol. Sorry. Not sure how to do that.....

Offline Griffin1661

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #297 on: Mar 08, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Anyone know the conditions of Otsego?

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #298 on: Mar 08, 2013, 01:42 PM »
yea i was kind of wondering how shore and everything is at glimmerglass?tthanks for any input

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #299 on: Mar 08, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Going tomorrow. Not looking forward to dragging the portable with the snow on the ice!
Last weekend to try and figure out the Walleyes before the closer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.