New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 109609 times)

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #240 on: Feb 19, 2013, 10:26 AM »
I was wondering if he said something to the person.     

Sorry, I thought you meant his English. My bad.

Offline lowe budget outdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #241 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:38 AM »
To bad for u if u don't like my English yes I said something guy good thing for him I respect my elders. I don't care who u are if u Gota drill a hole 5 foot from some one else's tipup that u don't even know is pretty sad thats all

Ouch!  thats tough on a big lake like that!   What did you say?

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #242 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:54 AM »
I don't care about your english, i was wondering if you said something to the person that moved in on you. 

Offline lowe budget outdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #243 on: Feb 19, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Like I said I did u know as a  fisherman it's disrespectful to do that too ppl. He was saved on me having respect for my elders. But the next guy mite not b so nice to u. From now on I think I stick to 3 mile lot off ppl don't like to fish the deep water for sum reason but it pays off my friend caught a 9 pound walleye the other day around 60 foot of water

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #244 on: Feb 19, 2013, 02:46 PM »
To bad for u if u don't like my English yes I said something guy good thing for him I respect my elders. I don't care who u are if u Gota drill a hole 5 foot from some one else's tipup that u don't even know is pretty sad thats all

Sorry fella, it reminded me of a post in the Grumpy Old Men Shanty,  ;D, http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=250005.0

Offline mohawkmonsters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #245 on: Feb 21, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Hey just think now that the perch have been beat down maybe there won't be buses coming to Hyde anymore couldn't believe it last week first time in my whole life saw buses at Hyde bay and yes I had guys put 20 tip ups 10 yards from me this year

Offline papacoondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • love the lakers
« Reply #246 on: Feb 21, 2013, 04:00 PM »
if u don't like crowds, just move away far enough so when u set up nobodies around u. its a big lake that's all I do
and have will good luck no matter where i set up. 

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #247 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:09 PM »
if u don't like crowds, just move away far enough so when u set up nobodies around u. its a big lake that's all I do
and have will good luck no matter where i set up.

x2

Offline beachshanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #248 on: Feb 21, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Does anyone know what the hours for access to Glimmerglass (i.e., do they close the gate after a certain point in the evening)?

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #249 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Anyone else see that guy driving his car onto the ice from Glimmerglass this morning?

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #250 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:21 PM »
yeah I saw that, what was up with that it was still parked there when I came off at noon, is that even legal? it was the only excitement I saw on the ice today dont even know why I brought my rod and tip ups out.  ;D ;D

Offline adkmountainken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #251 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:25 PM »
heading there in the morning.

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #252 on: Feb 23, 2013, 04:39 PM »
4 or 5 years ago, I was fishing out of Glimmerglass on Maybe 7" of ice, I looked towards Cooperstown and thought I saw headlights coming up the lake. Sure enough a few minutes later some fool came speeding past my shanty in a small car heading toward Springfield. I figured him for a gonner for sure. They must have lived because I never heard about anyone going through.

It takes all kinds I guess.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #253 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Yeah I've seen that on the north end several times. One day a guy came from c-town got off at Springfield the course of the day he made 3 trips back and forth doing bout 60 mph down the lake

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #254 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:28 PM »
AN of those stories happen involve a blue Ford Ranger with orange flames down the doors?

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #255 on: Feb 23, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Two years ago I seen a (min van) taxi driving up and down the lake picking guys up

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #256 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:29 PM »
AN of those stories happen involve a blue Ford Ranger with orange flames down the doors?

Wait a minute! I NEVER had my Ranger on the ice! Many other of my vehicles have been out on Otsego, but never the Ranger. ;D ;D ;D

BIGJim223

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #257 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:30 PM »
hey Jim has the bite slowed out there yet? got my back to work orders and gotta get my ice fix in while I can.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #258 on: Feb 23, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Sounds like the bite is pretty good. I have not been out since the 14th due to work, but reports are good. TheSystem and MrsSystem had some nice fish this morning, and I was told the perch are hitting real good if you can stay on them.
  I may go out for a couple hours tomorrow, but have to be back for a Daytona 500 party at 1pm.

BIGJim223

Offline Snowrd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #259 on: Feb 23, 2013, 10:11 PM »
Any word on how the ice conditions are down at 3 mile? I am planning on hitting it on Thursday. I normally fish off of Glimmerglass, looking to try something new.

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #260 on: Feb 24, 2013, 03:08 AM »
Sounds like the bite is pretty good.  TheSystem and MrsSystem had some nice fish this morning, and I was told the perch are hitting real good if you can stay on them.
BIGJim223

I'm glad somebody did good. Both times this week out there, it royally sucked. Couldn't even find the perch! And 2 weeks ago we caught and released 2X our limit on perch.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #261 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:28 AM »
All kinds of ice around 3 mile, just a skim of snow on top, easy walking.  If you're reading this now, you've already missed your parking spot!

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #262 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:18 PM »
heres a liitle info on alewifes from the NY bait fish book. I read this and though some of this info might pertain to otsego im no expert but mabe this is what happened.

Alewife(alosa pseudoharegus)

The alewife is an anadromous species, leaving the marine environment to spawn in freshwater in the spring. sea-run alewifes may grow to 12 inches in length. There are some landlocked populations, most notably in the great lakes and some finger lakes. fish from these populations tend to be smaller, reaching an average of 6 inches in length. The alewife has a vertically compressed body, relatively large eyes, and a serrated belly, which accounts for its other common name the saw belly. They are greenish gray on the back and silver on the sides. They are an open water species that primarily feed on plankton throughout there lives.

Alewifes are considered a critical forage species for pacific salmon in lake ontario and lake trout in some finger lakes (and obviously food for lake trout in Otsego) They are also a popular baitfish for a variety of large game fish. However non native landlocked alewife populations may also negatively affect aquatic ecosystems in a number of ways. Alewifes may become so abundant that they can affect a lakes plankton community and ultimately disrupt the ecology of the system. They also may directly affect sportfishing and other native fish populations by eating their eggs and fry and by competing with these species for available food resources Alewifes contain high levels of thiminase, an enzyme that limits thiamin, which is critical in the development of fish embryos. WHEN ALEWIFES CONSTITUTE THE PRIMARY PREY OF LAKE TROUT AND SOME OTHER PREDATORY SPECIES, THE RESULTING THIAMIN DEFICIENCY DIMINISHES THE PREDATORES ABILITY TO REPRODUCE SUCCESSFULLY.

ALEWIFES ARE PRONE TO ANNUAL, SOMETIMES MASSIVE DIE-OFFS; TYPICALLY IN MID WINTER, EARLY SPRING AND SUMMER. WHEN LARGE SCALE DIE OFFS OCCUR, THIS CAN AFFECT THE POPULATIONS OF PREDATORY FISH THAT RELY ON ALEWIFES AS A PRIMARY FOOD SOURCE. In addition, the large numbers of dead and dying fish on shorelines that may result from these events often cause fish and public health concerns.

After I read this I thought of a few points from the summary ,
A: If Alewifes feed on plankton and now there are zebra mussles in the lake and they also feed on plankton, did they have a direct effect on the alewife population?

B:Did the alewife population just have a massive die off like the summary say they are prone to?

C: Has the lake trout population suffered because of thiamin deficiency.( I thought of this from an article I read about the loss of lake trout spawning in otsego lake.

So in my conclultion After seeing pictures of the lake trout and lakers Iv caught this year on otsego ( 25-30inch lakers that dont weigh 4 lbs) I say you better get after them now who knows how long it will take if ever they will rebound in the lake.   ??? :-\ :-\ :'( ???

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #263 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:38 PM »
Interesting post. Thanks!

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #264 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:39 PM »
guess i'll be down on Tuesday to see what I can find. ;D

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #265 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:17 PM »
Kept 1 for the Smoker! A 26" Laker that hit before that little front went through. Overall a SLOW day.

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #266 on: Feb 24, 2013, 10:23 PM »
Some of you guys are crazy. No body ever said anything about the trout dying .  They said the alewife are dead .  And the trout  are just adjusting from eating meat to Eatin plants ,Like they use too . before alewifes were introduce . The only thing people were talking about was how there were not as many 15in and smaller trout in the nets . But one of the reasons is because they were eating alewife,  if you look up the grow rate  it  is twice as fast  as it use to be when they ate mostly plants .so fish that would apear to be older by size . Would actually be a year or years younger. Than they are.  this would make them seam to apear to be starving , while they wait for the rest of there body to catch up . Just like a person would if the swithched from Eatin meat to plants , u would lose weight .  I don't think a fish like a lake trout would starve in a lake full of fish . When people start to say they see trout dead then we should start to worry . Hope fully Dec will figure out some kind of bait situation. Like smelt .befor any did die  . Now there's not as many  alewife smelt would do good . Cause  competition for food and they actually eat smaller smelt and the eggs . Alewife Can get so bad they can take up to 95%  of the fish mass in a lake .

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #267 on: Feb 25, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Lake trout eating plants??

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #268 on: Feb 25, 2013, 11:30 AM »
But some of the other people here are crazy?  ::) Lake Trout eating plants...that's  good..

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #269 on: Feb 25, 2013, 01:35 PM »

should I stop by the store and grab a head of lettuse before I go out next time. ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.