New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 109359 times)

Offline mohawkmonsters

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #210 on: Feb 15, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Went wends day ice was 6to9inches on Hyde bat was like walking on an orange peel pretty cool slot limit

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #211 on: Feb 16, 2013, 08:00 AM »
A buddy of mine lost a box of various laker jigs off 3 Mile Point Wednesday. If you or anyone hears about finding a tackle tray of jigs, he would be very happy to get them back. We all know how much it costs to replace our gear, so hopefully someone found them and will get in contact with me and I will hook you up with the guy that lost them. Send me a PM if you hear anything.
Thanks!

BIGJim223

Offline curtile024

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #212 on: Feb 16, 2013, 07:37 PM »
how is the ice this weekend?

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #213 on: Feb 16, 2013, 09:11 PM »
was out at 3 mile today ice is hard and you can walk along way very easy. It was arough day for us today as we went from 160ft down to 45 ft spudding holes every 100yds or so and only marked 3 fish. I was hoping this was just aphase, but think things have really changed on Otsego

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #214 on: Feb 17, 2013, 07:32 AM »
We all have seen the skinny lakers this year and it is being blamed on the forge decline. I also have seen some very nice healthy looking lakers this season, we had two on the ice yesterday one great looking fish big fat belly about 24", and one 25" skinny as a rail looked like a basesball bat big out of proportion head down to nothing at the tail. Along with this the walleyes do not appear to be starving and looking all skinny like the lakers.
Just a thought and question could the lakers have some kind of diesease maybe??

Offline mikvia46

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #215 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:41 AM »
It probably didn't help the health of the Laker population that there was no ice fishing last year. I think more fish need to be taken or it will get worse. Maybe  there will be more fishing pressure here April thru September? 

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #216 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:18 AM »
The population is not the problem, it is the avalaible food sorce.Normally you would see clouds of alwives thruout the lake but the last 2 years, that has not been the case. Usually during the winter ice months the lakers are in the deepest part of the lake because of the desired temperature and thats were the bait was too. No bait no lakers. Now the lakers are forced to go into shallow water looking for whatwver they can find to eat even if it is not their comfort zone. Walleys are fat so maybe they ate all the alwives. Dec stocked thousands upon thousands in there or maybe the alwaves cant reproduce because of alga problems.One thing is for sure and that is the lakers need some food. Hoping the dec will stock smelt. Im no expert, just an opinion.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #217 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:35 AM »
One thing is for sure and that is the lakers need some food. Hoping the dec will stock smelt. Im no expert, just an opinion.
I totally agree that they need some food and think smelt would help ALL species in there stay healthy.

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Feb 17, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Smelt use to be in there so its deff posible .

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #219 on: Feb 17, 2013, 12:34 PM »
Smelt were in the lake for a short time before, but then disappeared. What happened to them before, and what makes you think they will succeed in
the lake this time? Just a thought. Also, the alewives are an invasive species; they are an ocean fish not native to freshwater lakes. Because of this
they are sensitive to factors such as changes in water temperature and population die offs. I don't believe the walleyes wiped them out because for
most of the year the walleyes are in different parts of the lake. Years ago the lake had a substantial population of whitefish and lake ciscoes. These
served as a food source for the lake trout and they occupied the same areas in the lake so it was easier for the trout to feed on them. Something
happened to the whitefish because they are now seen very rarely in the lake. I don't believe there is a simple solution to what has caused an
imbalance in the lake between the forage base and the game fish population. Hopefully the state is studying the situation and can offer some
sort of solution. Until then, it is what it is.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #220 on: Feb 17, 2013, 12:38 PM »
I believe(though i'm not a biologist) that the illegal introduction of the alewives wiped out the smelt. 10 years ago when we went down to 3-mile it wasn't out of the question to bring up good numbers of 10+ lb lakers and even saw some beauty browns being caught. I think in time if the DEC restocks the lake with smelt(as I have heard they are going to do) the lakers will again thrive along with the rest of the fish.

Steve

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #221 on: Feb 17, 2013, 01:44 PM »
There are still at least a few big browns in there...Last weekend I hooked a monster. Watched it hit my swim bait right below the hole, after swiping at it several times. Finally struck and I fought him to the hole, but he broke me off while I was trying to grab him. Easily 30" and thick, probably 12 pounds.  :sick: :%$#!:Oh well, that's fishing. Anyway, the potential is still there. Restocking some smelt would do wonders for this lake.

-Zach

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #222 on: Feb 17, 2013, 03:27 PM »
There are still at least a few big browns in there...Last weekend I hooked a monster. Watched it hit my swim bait right below the hole, after swiping at it several times. Finally struck and I fought him to the hole, but he broke me off while I was trying to grab him. Easily 30" and thick, probably 12 pounds.  :sick: :%$#!:Oh well, that's fishing. Anyway, the potential is still there. Restocking some smelt would do wonders for this lake.

-Zach

Zach, so sorry ya missed that Brown! I share your pain! Been fortunate enough to have also jigged a few up but I'm sure you'll agree it's not an easy thing to do! Can only imagine what a rush that was hooking it! Wish you luck on the next one!

Mke

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #223 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:29 PM »
Guys, Gals here is some good reading that may answer some of your questions on the lake trout population in Otsego Lake. You might be surprised to learn that the absence of alewives in Otsego lake is most likely not attribute to skinny lake trout.

http://www.oneonta.edu/academics/biofld/PUBS/ANNUAL/2003/%28131%29Diet%20of%20Lake%20Trout%201.pdf

http://docsfiles.com/pdf_lake_trout_in_otsego.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/69252.html

If the catch of small lake trout remains very low in the 2012 netting, it will be recommended that the year round salmonid fishery, primarily lake trout, be ended and the season changed to the statewide April 1-October 15 trout season.

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #224 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:49 PM »
The last reference has an interesting ending:
If the catch of small lake trout remains very low in the 2012 netting, it will be recommended that the year round salmonid fishery, primarily lake trout, be ended and the season changed to the statewide April 1-October 15 trout season.
  So, enjoy it while you can because ice fishing for lake trout on Otsego may be coming to an end. 

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #225 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:52 PM »
Not sure I subscribe to the idea that alwives induce sterility in trout. All of our DEC reservoirs down here in lower NY have robust populations of sawbellies that the trout feed on. One in particular, Kensico Res apparently has sufficient enough laker reproduction that the DEC is reportedly reducing the annual stocking of lakers. I do agree with your other observations about the merit of reintroducing smelt into Otsego.

Mike

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #226 on: Feb 17, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Smelt were in the lake for a short time before, but then disappeared. What happened to them before, and what makes you think they will succeed in
the lake this time? Just a thought. Also, the alewives are an invasive species; they are an ocean fish not native to freshwater lakes. Because of this
they are sensitive to factors such as changes in water temperature and population die offs. I don't believe the walleyes wiped them out because for
most of the year the walleyes are in different parts of the lake. Years ago the lake had a substantial population of whitefish and lake ciscoes. These
served as a food source for the lake trout and they occupied the same areas in the lake so it was easier for the trout to feed on them. Something
happened to the whitefish because they are now seen very rarely in the lake. I don't believe there is a simple solution to what has caused an
imbalance in the lake between the forage base and the game fish population. Hopefully the state is studying the situation and can offer some

Very nice post and it makes sense...
AW

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #227 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:14 AM »
We are getting ready to head out to the lake now. First stop is Stewarts in C' Town then up to Glimmerglass. All I know at this moment is that it is dark, breezy and 0 degree's out. What am I thinking  :o  2 guys wit a Black Ice Cube  ;D

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #228 on: Feb 18, 2013, 06:10 AM »
hope you have some cables to anchor RTF. good luck!

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #229 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:27 AM »

If I remember correctly the smelt went away when the alewives came in, when I was a kid there were a lot of smelt we used to net them at ice out each year. The intro of the alewives killed the smelt in this lake and Canadrago

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #230 on: Feb 18, 2013, 07:53 AM »
Some great reads and insight from you all on what you thinks going on in Otsego. I remember saying at the beging of the year to my gf i hope Otsego doesnt turn into a dissapoinment like Canadarago has become. Having fished both my whole life and living so close to both really was nice to fish both now im driving farther to fish. It is what it is though just hope things get better. I do believe it comes in waves though as my uncle tells me if you only knew how good it was when i was young, hopefully it will return to both lakes

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #231 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:17 AM »
I remember when otsego was fantastic fishing and that was only 5 years ago and also before ice fishing for lakers was allowed. From 5 years ago less and less decent fish have been caught. I only know of 1 this year so far. I do believe the majority of the breeder lakers have been elimanated. A hundred guys on the ice every day for 5 years has taken its toll and now no food for the remainder. The internet has ruined many lakes.2 years ago on cando there were litery hundreds of shelters out there. They came from all over and out of state in groves to catch the jacks. NOW, no jacks and just dinks. Thank the internet and greedy fisherman. How many perch do you need for a meal. Then there is the guys that sell them. I guess i better quit.Have fun fishing and enjoy what we have left.

Offline bautochkaj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #232 on: Feb 18, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Looking to go ice fishing on Otsego Lake - newbie to this lake.

Anyone go out of three mile point? - how far out - water depth, island locations, etc.

or Glimmerglass - looking for lake trout

I live within 30 minutes and want to try this lake - not sure where to go...

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #233 on: Feb 18, 2013, 11:11 AM »
Looking to go ice fishing on Otsego Lake - newbie to this lake.

Anyone go out of three mile point? - how far out - water depth, island locations, etc.

or Glimmerglass - looking for lake trout

I live within 30 minutes and want to try this lake - not sure where to go...

Read the threads here! Everything you ever wanted to know about Otsego, and more. Take the time to actually read, not just the last post!

BIGJim223

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #234 on: Feb 18, 2013, 04:04 PM »
hope you have some cables to anchor RTF. good luck!

Wish I read this before I went out today  :'(

Whoa!!! baby  ;D What a hoot that was.

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #235 on: Feb 18, 2013, 04:27 PM »
OK so I was out today. Was the first one on the lake. Out from Glimmerglass and towards Clark Point we went. 9 to 10 inches of ice every where we drilled. Not a single hit today. Marcum cam told me no perch or any type of fish for that matter in 15 to 20 FOW off Clarks. same spot last Sunday (Feb 10th) we nailed them. Later in the morning we went into 50 FOW  and immediately had a chaser come in suspended at 30 FOW. 2 more chasers to come in moments later. That was it for the entire day. We packed up at around 2PM. Very windy and creepers are mandatory.  No slush and very little if any snow.

That lake freaked me out today.  :o :o :o :o :o  Very loud with thumbs and bangs and crackitee crack crack crack, thump thump thump. Non stop!! I have never heard SO much ice music in my whole life.

Gonna hang it for a few days. Good luck out there.

Offline lowe budget outdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #236 on: Feb 18, 2013, 04:43 PM »
I like the lake and we have had lot of action on this lake this year justwish the ppl that fish glimmer glass would show sum respect on it when u c sum one catch a fish u should come within 5 feet of ther hole and drill then start jign that is not cool in a sportsmens eye just asking for real sportsman to show a lil common courtesy to the others that do thank you

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #237 on: Feb 19, 2013, 09:39 AM »
when u c sum one catch a fish u should come within 5 feet of ther hole and drill then start jign that is not cool in a sportsmens eye just asking for real sportsman to show a lil common courtesy to the others that do thank you

Ouch!  thats tough on a big lake like that!   What did you say?

Offline cporter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #238 on: Feb 19, 2013, 09:53 AM »

Ouch!  thats tough on a big lake like that!   What did you say?

Wat do u meen?  :cookoo:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #239 on: Feb 19, 2013, 10:11 AM »
Wat do u meen?  :cookoo:

I was wondering if he said something to the person.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.