New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 110538 times)

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #120 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:17 PM »
RTF that was me my buddy and afew followers and yes we did walk all that way lol, put on the miles today, drilled alot of hole from 160 to 100ft looking for the agressive ones. We found afew and it was agood day out there today. Not sure id want to drag my sled that far with alot of snow though im beat lol

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Feb 09, 2013, 04:43 PM »
RTF that was me my buddy and afew followers and yes we did walk all that way lol, put on the miles today, drilled alot of hole from 160 to 100ft looking for the agressive ones. We found afew and it was agood day out there today. Not sure id want to drag my sled that far with alot of snow though im beat lol

More power to you. LOL

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #122 on: Feb 09, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Well I fished off from Glimmerglass today. I was the first car in the west lot, followed by a mini convoy of other eager anglers. We had to wait a few for the state to plow out the lot and we all watched him go round and round and round until it was all plowed.  ;D I tried to get into the park under dark and that didnt work out too well for me. We fished from 7 to 50 FOW. Nodda nothing, a few chasers and that was that. Wind was brutal!!!!  >:( On the way out I talked to a husband and wife team (or boyfriend girlfriend) who parked next to us and the same story for them. It was a very disappointing day. 8 to 10 inches of ice every where I drilled. Snow depth varied from a few inches to over a foot. The lake was making ice all morning long. Will be back at it tomorrow morning. look for the "black" Ice Cube.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #123 on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:46 PM »
I'll be out tomorrow as well. Hope they're in the mood to eat. Will be out all day. Plan on hoofing it towards deeper water. Should I just bring my snow blower with me?  :roflmao: If anyone spots me, stop by and say hi. All red ice armor, one man fish trap.

Zach

Offline matthews88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Zach are u going after lakers or walleye i would love to get into those walleye just never really fished for them looking for someone to give me some pointers.

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Feb 09, 2013, 06:21 PM »
Zach are u going after lakers or walleye i would love to get into those walleye just never really fished for them looking for someone to give me some pointers.

Id say for walleyes try in hyde bay toward glimmerglass point. 10-35 ft. nice weedy bottow throughout there,perch for them to feed on. good variety spot,i personally dont fish around there because i like to spread out and dont like dealing with the crowd on weekends..

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Feb 09, 2013, 06:25 PM »
that's why you gotta get there early and set your spread. nothing I like fighting over more than someone cramping my space!!

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Feb 09, 2013, 07:54 PM »
I hear ya!!! Gotta love crowders

Offline mohawkmonsters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Feb 09, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Had a group of four set next to me the other day literally 10 yards away its a big lake

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:06 AM »
I may be an "odd Duck", but it never bothered me when people set up close to me. I always looked at ice-fishing as a social activity, and not a
competition.  As long as someone didn't drop a line down the hole I was fishing in, I never cared how close someone fished near me.  I swear
that listening to some fishermen that they must have a deed for part of the lake; "chill out" and enjoy the company of fellow fishermen.  I can understand
someone being upset hunting if someone is too close, but really what harm does it cause ice-fishing?

Offline crazyhockeydad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #130 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:49 AM »
Couldn't agree more Perchfilet.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Feb 10, 2013, 08:29 AM »
Well said...I have had some of the best laughs of my life listening to other fisherman run their tip ups
AW

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:41 AM »
Not that I dont like talking with people I know or meeting new people and just chewin the fat, but come on there is some etiquette that comes with fishing. Especially when fishing for fish that make big runs If your to close thats when tangles happen. Would you anchor up next to a boat close enough to drop your bait in their boat when you cast?? This isnt a small lake there is plenty of room.

Offline RPudney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Feb 10, 2013, 10:15 AM »
I may be an "odd Duck", but it never bothered me when people set up close to me. I always looked at ice-fishing as a social activity, and not a
competition.  As long as someone didn't drop a line down the hole I was fishing in, I never cared how close someone fished near me.  I swear
that listening to some fishermen that they must have a deed for part of the lake; "chill out" and enjoy the company of fellow fishermen.  I can understand
someone being upset hunting if someone is too close, but really what harm does it cause ice-fishing?
Depends on what you are doing, last week on scroon I had a small group of younger people who slinging a jet sled with a passenger
in it around and all over the ice atround them (probably 150 yards away from me). I did not see them or the group next to them get a single flag
most of the day. If you are fishing the bottom in deeper water, I don't think the noise hurts, but salmon fishing? Definitely does hurt! I never set up
right next to anyone just because i want it as quiet as possiblr around my gear. Ever notice when checking baits or walking out past your tip ups
you get a flag? I truly believe that the fish can hear you on the ice in shallower water.

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Feb 10, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Fishing on the ice and fishing from a boat are two different things. Boats move around with wave motion and the wind, the ice doesn't. I still think
that people on the ice sometimes get very territorial. I've had people give me the "evil eye" when I've set up 50 yards away. Come on, how many
times has someone setting up next to you tangled up your line? I've ice-fished for 45 years and I don't think it's happened more than once or
twice. Relax and enjoy yourself!

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:47 PM »
Ok thanks for your opinion, I have mine, had guy drop a tip up in between two of mine last wed. Let me know where your fishing next time I see him I'll send him your way

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:56 PM »
My take on this matter is...just don't use tip-ups, it's cheating :P
Just kidding fellow fishers ;)
AW

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:07 PM »
No one wanted to walk out and fish near me.  ;D
Not a fan of the fresh snow on the ice. It made for some sore mussels tonight.
Stopped and shot the breeze with a few people on the way in, Slow seemed to be the common report.

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:36 PM »
What r these tip ups ????

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:34 PM »
listen, yes nobody owns the lake but I HATE when I have a group of us out there and someone decides to set up 10 yards away. today we had a group of 5 and had couple more join us and ASKED if we minded they join us( thanks System and Ryan? I think?) totally cool dudes!! if I'm alone I don't mind so much but if I'm with a group I came to fish with them and not some stranger/s. no I haven't had that many tip-ups go off by a fish taking a run, but when you fish on Otsego the lakers like to take big runs and this is a lake I WANT my space.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #140 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:45 PM »
Great fishing with you guys today, couldn't have asked for a nicer day on the water.  It really speaks to the camaraderie of the Shanty that complete strangers would let us set up right there and share their hot lunch!  That bay was getting a little crowded for sure, and if the fish were really biting they could have made one big tangle of the whole thing quick as a hiccup.  I guess we were lucky the lakers weren't very aggressive!  Hope to see you guys on Cando in a week or so.

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:11 AM »
listen, yes nobody owns the lake but I HATE when I have a group of us out there and someone decides to set up 10 yards away. today we had a group of 5 and had couple more join us and ASKED if we minded they join us( thanks System and Ryan? I think?) totally cool dudes!! if I'm alone I don't mind so much but if I'm with a group I came to fish with them and not some stranger/s. no I haven't had that many tip-ups go off by a fish taking a run, but when you fish on Otsego the lakers like to take big runs and this is a lake I WANT my space.

I agree haha . i dont like fishing bymyself,but when out with my dad or a couple friends i usually make the extra treck so we have room to set up with space. Its a little more peacefull to me,plus i like to spread out a bit,not into putting tip ups 20 ft apart. always had better luck when ya cover a little ground. Yesterday for example..we trecked over an hour to have some space and spread tip ups 50 ft apart. In mid morning i had nobody within a half mile,by the time i left i had 4 or 5 guys surrounding my few hot tip ups. SOME even fishing my two jigging holes a drilled next to them. Just saying personally,i like my shanty to be closer to my tip ups than other peoples lol. I understand some people want to chat and dont mind fishing 20 30 ft away. not saying im antisocial,im all about talking to some fellow fisherman on the ice. just saying some people have no respect for other fisherman on a 9 mile lake.

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:14 AM »
Fishing was great yesterday for us. Which is good bc the treck throught that snow wass brutal

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I agree haha . i dont like fishing bymyself,but when out with my dad or a couple friends i usually make the extra treck so we have room to set up with space. Its a little more peacefull to me,plus i like to spread out a bit,not into putting tip ups 20 ft apart. always had better luck when ya cover a little ground. Yesterday for example..we trecked over an hour to have some space and spread tip ups 50 ft apart. In mid morning i had nobody within a half mile,by the time i left i had 4 or 5 guys surrounding my few hot tip ups. SOME even fishing my two jigging holes a drilled next to them. Just saying personally,i like my shanty to be closer to my tip ups than other peoples lol. I understand some people want to chat and dont mind fishing 20 30 ft away. not saying im antisocial,im all about talking to some fellow fisherman on the ice. just saying some people have no respect for other fisherman on a 9 mile lake.

Well said, wish I could have worded it like that but guess I will have to be that guy. We each have our views on this and not everyone is gonna agree with the other. In the end you have guys that will work for fish and find them, then guys that will watch what your doing and move in to get in the action. Nature of the beast I guess, been dealing with it for years and have to keep dealing with it.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #144 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:45 AM »
im all about talking to some fellow fisherman on the ice. just saying some people have no respect for other fisherman on a 9 mile lake.

no way...on otsego of all places!  Thats a real shame that its getting to be that way, especially this year for some reason...

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #145 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:46 PM »
Just wondering if kellys bait store usually always has plenty of bait and any med-large baits there? have a long drive and dont want to get stuck up there with no bait. thanks. kinda of late in the day  for me to try anywhere else.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:01 PM »
there shiner seem to be on the smaller side.

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #147 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:11 PM »
no way...on otsego of all places!  Thats a real shame that its getting to be that way, especially this year for some reason...

Thats strange.  So much deep water laker heaven.

Offline mohawkmonsters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #148 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Ya we had guys watch us last week and before we were 150 yards from where we were fishing they we on our holes

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #149 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:20 PM »
must be from "all the action" out there? ::) that's ok, rumor has it public landing is going to be closed down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.