New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 110578 times)

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #90 on: Feb 02, 2013, 04:42 AM »
Sounds like a good day Mike.  I'm going to the spot we were at in the wind and snow two weeks ago.  Good luck today.  Maybe after the Lake Eaton Derby, we can hit up some tigers or pike.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:10 PM »
We had agreat day today out on the ice, was with some good friends that i and the gf enjoy fishing with, alot of laughs and calls on the cell phone because we were moving alot. Ice was 5 plus everywhere we were. Alot of people were out as well and seemed to be having agreat day.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Another great day on Otsego! Hoofed it all the way out to the 145 FOW range from Glimmerglass. Had plenty of company. Ice was a solid 5" all around. Went 15 for 23 jigging lakers, biggest was 24". Good action all day! Also caught this goofball! When it buzzed the hole the first time I thought for a second it was a nice Brown! LOL! Learned later it was an Otsego Bass, aka Lake Whitefish and is apparently pretty rare these days! Harmlessly released to get bigger!

Mike

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:37 PM »
That thing is a pig! Glad you released! That is one rare catch, especially one that big. Here is the link to the local paper article I told you about:  http://thedailystar.com/localsports/x32752766/Otsego-bass-are-a-thing-of-the-past
  Was not the best of weekends, but you guys had the stamina to stay out there in those winds on Friday and it wasn't the best of days Saturday. Hope You and Butch enjoyed your trip.

BIGJim223

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #94 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:42 PM »
Also caught this goofball! When it buzzed the hole the first time I thought for a second it was a nice Brown! LOL! Learned later it was an Otsego Bass, aka Lake Whitefish and is apparently pretty rare these days!

I caught one a few years back and had no idea what it was, i was like  :unsure:.... had to call my buddy over, he knew it was a whitefish, 1st and only one i have ever seen in person. It was 21" er (also released mine).

BB
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:56 PM »
That thing is a pig! Glad you released! That is one rare catch, especially one that big. Here is the link to the local paper article I told you about:  http://thedailystar.com/localsports/x32752766/Otsego-bass-are-a-thing-of-the-past
  Was not the best of weekends, but you guys had the stamina to stay out there in those winds on Friday and it wasn't the best of days Saturday. Hope You and Butch enjoyed your trip.

BIGJim223

Thanks for the link Jim. Interesting article! Had a great time fishing with you and The System! Otsego never disappoints! Will be In touch during the week!

Mike

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #96 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:49 PM »
I'll be out tomorrow, out of Glimmerglass. If anyone sees me out there, alone in a Clam Trapper, red Ice Armor suit, stop by and say hi. Would love some company.

-Zach

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Feb 02, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Hit up Otsego today. Great day on the ice. Bunch of flags and some action on the jigs. 5" of ice where we were. Caught a bunch of Lakers, the best being just over 24". C&R all. Had a blast reeling them in. Nice to see a ton of people out having fun.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:53 AM »
Nice Whitefish Mike.  Sounds like you had a great day.  I had one flag in west bay, then moved to the other side of the Island, nothing there.  Nothing for Jamie either.  Did not see one fish jigging, but saw more smelt around than usual, so that's a good sign.

Offline mbertram

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Feb 03, 2013, 07:18 AM »
Great area

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Feb 03, 2013, 05:21 PM »
thats definatly a nice otsego bass been a while since iv seen one was out on good year today got some nice blues

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:37 AM »
the only problem I have with Otsego lake is that my vexilar is only good to 120 ft. I guess if the fish are suspended within that range I'd be ok.

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:20 AM »
the winds are hollowing out there to day!

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:24 AM »
hey mike the next time you and anthony head out to otsego let me know its Nick.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:25 AM »
hey mike the next time you and anthony head out to otsego let me know its Nick.

Nick from WF?

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Delhi NY

Offline dabu556

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Feb 04, 2013, 04:18 PM »
Some friends and I are headin' to Otsego for Presidents Day weekend ( we rented a house on Hyde Bay) and none of us has really ever fished for Lakers. I have spent some time on this forum tryin' to get some ideas about preferred jigs,water depth and anything else that might help us have a good trip. Actually, were gonna have a good trip regardless because fishin' and friends works for me!!  We are all husbands and wives( great women) and I was hopin' to get some help and guidance from some of you guys who are more familiar with the lake. Not lookin' for your honey hole, just some info. Thanks

Offline fcaramadre

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:54 PM »
anyone catch any perch or walleye out of this lake?  I have never gone for lakers and don't have the tackle needed, but i would like to try for perch of walleyes.
someone I know said they were catching them near glimmerglass beach.  Any input would be great.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #108 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:55 PM »
I have caught some really nice perch out from glimmerglass park. Icicles worked the best on tip-ups.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:25 PM »
Some friends and I are headin' to Otsego for Presidents Day weekend ( we rented a house on Hyde Bay) and none of us has really ever fished for Lakers. I have spent some time on this forum tryin' to get some ideas about preferred jigs,water depth and anything else that might help us have a good trip. Actually, were gonna have a good trip regardless because fishin' and friends works for me!!  We are all husbands and wives( great women) and I was hopin' to get some help and guidance from some of you guys who are more familiar with the lake. Not lookin' for your honey hole, just some info. Thanks
lake trout are pretty simple to catch on this lake run tip ups with suckers or hunts get in water over 20 foot and catter them from just off bottom to just below the ice jigging you are going to want a flasher and get out into the deep water 100+ ill leave the jig up to you all i will say is white

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:56 PM »
lake trout are pretty simple to catch on this lake run tip ups with suckers or hunts get in water over 20 foot and catter them from just off bottom to just below the ice jigging you are going to want a flasher and get out into the deep water 100+ ill leave the jig up to you all i will say is white

^^^^^^^^
Good Advice!  ;)

Offline dabu556

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Thanks - appreciate the feedback .

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:48 AM »
hey I was wondering if any of you guys fishing lakers in otsego have herd or used hogy 10 inch jig iv seen some good footage of these in action

Offline DrGreene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:53 AM »
No but I got 1 on a blue and silver Cleo 3/4 once  yesterday

Offline mohawkmonsters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:38 PM »
Whoever lost two perch Tuesday don't worry we found them so they didn't go to waste

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:10 PM »
we fished 80 to 95 ft range today with tip ups and jigging. Very slow and too windy to even leave shanty..that was for us anyway,a few other guys landed a few.no one did that great that we talked to.Maby we were in the wrong depth who knows.

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:52 PM »
Fished today in 30-50 fow. Tip-up action was a little slow. Most of the day was spent making wind blocks for each tip-up. The wind was brutal, shanty was shaking all day. Got one 25" laker on tip-up and lost a bigger one at the hole. C&R. Jigging in 30 fow could see lakers near bottom and 10 feet under ice, pretty cool watching them chase the bait.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline smarge42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Going to give it a shot this weekend for the first time on the ice. I was wondering whats working for minnows on tipups? Going to try for a little bit of everything.  Perch, waleyes, and lakers. Thank you for any advice.

Offline matthews88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Had good day on otsego yesterday nice perch and my buddy caught a 24inch walleye.guys beside us landed a 28 inch brown huge was nice looking fish. Hope this snow doesnt wreck it been having a blast.

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Feb 08, 2013, 01:12 PM »
Just drove by the lake a little earlier. Looked to be plenty of guys out on the ice. 3 Mile Point is now open and had its share of shanties off from it. There was one group of guys fishing a good distance north of 3 mile towards the east shore. Cant imagine they walked all that way. If your looking for bait I just picked up some spikes and mousies at Kellie's Deli just north of lake at the light.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.