New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Capital Region Thread  (Read 28042 times)

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Capital Region Thread
« Reply #30 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:01 PM »
What ? Your not shore trollin the river for the eyes ?  @)

Thats a big ten four.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #31 on: Dec 21, 2011, 03:47 PM »
Some ponds just don't deserve to be tossed under the proverbial bus...

I think more then a few of us 518ers have learned that lesson in the past few years  :'(
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:25 PM »
yep

Offline afwrestler1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:35 PM »

I think more then a few of us 518ers have learned that lesson in the past few years  :'(

You guys have a problem with pond hawks? Lurkers and what not?
[Img]http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png[img]

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #34 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:16 PM »
You guys have a problem with pond hawks? Lurkers and what not?
Big time. While Irene didn't help, I'd be willing to bet that most guys here would be willing to point to that as the reason for the demise of Collins.

-Zach

Offline gettinjiggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:46 PM »
     Indeed, some of the best places we fished without seeing anyone are now quite busy. Funny thing, it wasn't until we started to share photo's on variuos sites did this happen. Could be coincidence but I doubt it. One place in perticular we practiced only catch and release because of the sheer size and numbers of the crappies, now there hard to come by and the ice looks lke swiss cheese from holes. What are you gonna due though it's not like it's private property, all good things end I suppose...

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2011, 07:52 PM »
i never had a hard time catching fish on collins untill people started showing up in the winter. i can remember many days being out on collins alone. not anymore. and i dont chase flags like i used to. its the reason i only go there in the beggining of the year or after work at night. collins doesnt look like it will be fishable for another ocuple weeks at the soonest so it might get skipped all together by me this year. we will see.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Anyone ever fish Featherstonhaugh Lake?  Its pretty shallow and ought to freeze early.  The DEC website says it has  Bass & panfish.  Any of the panfish get eating size? 

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #38 on: Dec 21, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Anyone ever fish Featherstonhaugh Lake?  Its pretty shallow and ought to freeze early.  The DEC website says it has  Bass & panfish.  Any of the panfish get eating size?

I used to live upthere. its shallow lake. fish the south end. its deeper.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:22 PM »

Checked it out last year - soft water - one heck of a pull up hill on the way out with a sled - of any type ...

Offline johnnycd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 22, 2011, 06:36 AM »
Big time. While Irene didn't help, I'd be willing to bet that most guys here would be willing to point to that as the reason for the demise of Collins.

-Zach

I would have to agree with that Zach, it happens a lot.  I've learned over the years so if someone shows me something good I will not return without permission or I'm invited again.

Offline jig_a_fish94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:37 AM »
has anyone ever fished rensselaer lake in albany? ???
FISH ON!!!

Offline afwrestler1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:47 AM »
That is too bad. No body wants to bother with the small ponds and small lakes until they see someone catching good fish from it. Then all of a sudden they want to fish there. Believe me when I say when I go fishing with someone, I would rather not go with them to their secret spot. I would rather go somewhere that isn't a secret spot. Unless you have been fishing partners for a long time. I have had friends in the past that would freely give out the information and then the secluded secret spot is fished out. Same goes for deer hunting, especially on State land.  It is hard to trust anyone anymore when it comes to keeping secret spots. It is even harder trying to find the secret spot to start with. It is my quest this year to find my own secret spot.

That being said, I am looking forward to meeting you guys this season. Pretty safe bet I will run into at least some of you this year.
[Img]http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png[img]

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #43 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:34 AM »

-Zach

Agreed.  Four years ago that lake was great.  Now it is a total circus. Got worse each season.

I cringe everytime I see it mentioned.

Sometimes the innerweb is not helpful at all.  Poor little lake got its butt kicked. 
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #44 on: Dec 22, 2011, 11:19 AM »
i have in open water,not bad but i think there is NO ICE FISHING there.
i fished it by the R/R tracks
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:05 PM »

unfortunately there's gonna be more that have to learn that lesson the hard way.   Sucks for the rest of us.

That is too bad. No body wants to bother with the small ponds and small lakes until they see someone catching good fish from it.

Even medium sized lakes can take a bad hit.  Canadarago is a great example of that.  Its neighbor Otsego seems to be next.

Offline johnnycd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 22, 2011, 02:56 PM »
Yes.  I live close by, can be good in the spring and early summer, supposedly you can't ice fish there.

Why would anyone want to though, the Albany dump flows into it, trust me I've watched over the years, it ain't pretty.

Offline lockdown199

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life to the fullest
« Reply #47 on: Dec 22, 2011, 03:35 PM »
I fell like a kid who's trip to disney was put off for another month on the day before he was going to leave. We need ice!!!!

Offline jig_a_fish94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 22, 2011, 04:20 PM »
^ AGREED ^ :'(
FISH ON!!!

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 22, 2011, 07:42 PM »
i will do collins once this year just to check it out.caught alot of fish here a few years back.our group has only caught 4 over 30 there and they were barely over.fun on good days.overfished.im guilty of finding out here and goin,but i am not guilty of keeping fish.everything but a couple pike just to try were threw back.we have graduated to a dead sea now so hopefully newcomers will be able to learn tactics on this little lake.be careful of the springs.

Offline got em

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:55 AM »
 :(  loose lips sink ships(ponds,lakes,etc)  :(   i fish hard all winter in the 518 area...if you find a spot early in the season thats frozen keep it to yourself...IT WILL GET POUNDED...people (lurkers) dont want to put in the time and effort to find SAFE early ice... :o :o :o...I've been ragged on about posting areas...never again... ;) ;) ;)...tight lines

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:03 AM »
Yep its just the way it is. Collins i have no problem going down and checking ice i pass it everyday too and from work. But as for other lakes ill admit i dont go looking untill i see here that people have gone on the ice. Not that im lazy and dont want to put in effort, I just know that someone out there is crazy enought to go out earlier then I am so ill let them check. but i also do come on here posting about how good some of the fishing can be in these small lakes. year before last i had to get to collins at 5am just to get the spot i fish. i dont want that much competition so now i go north.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 23, 2011, 08:17 AM »
Collins SUCKS now .......   and i would imagine the flooding of the Mohawk just made it even worse  :o

I fished it a  bunch last year and never had more than 2 fish .... and they were small  ::)
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:16 AM »
:(  loose lips sink ships(ponds,lakes,etc)  :(   i fish hard all winter in the 518 area...if you find a spot early in the season thats frozen keep it to yourself...IT WILL GET POUNDED...people (lurkers) dont want to put in the time and effort to find SAFE early ice... :o :o :o...I've been ragged on about posting areas...never again... ;) ;) ;)...tight lines
Wish we had a like button sometimes.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 24, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Wish we had a like button sometimes.
lol I totally agree...Way too many spot stealling lurkers...Life is too busy and meaningfull to be running around checking an inch or 2 of ice when I've got wife and kids at home that expect me to come home at night...I'll just wait till I see or read that there is 4"-5" of ice on the main lakes before I get out there, not lazy but safe and reports normally won't come with a location lol.  @)

Merry Christmas ya'll

Offline jig_a_fish94

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:15 PM »
Any updates? Good size pond half froze over. Attempted to walk on it but rather be safe then sorry
FISH ON!!!

Offline BillionaireBoyzIceman44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • da bears
« Reply #56 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:33 PM »
don't forget anlee pond over by the airport, a dark horse pick for sure
gotta risk it to get the biscuit

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #57 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:55 AM »
don't forget anlee pond over by the airport, a dark horse pick for sure

I had a conversation about this with a buddy last weekend.  I wonder how many of us Albany-area guys caught our first bass out of Ann Lee as kids.  I hear it is still really common to see cars lined up in the summer with mom's behind the wheel.  Watching their kids as they lob out worms and bobbers and haul in some fish.  Pretty awesome, really.  Ponds like that are worth their weight in gold.

What a great place to start a kid out.  Or at least let them experience fishing on their own terms.  I used to LOVE that pond.

Offline roundlakeNY

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Wonder if there is any fish in wagners pond. I think that is what its called. We ice race there with the dirtbikes on he weekends but its dead during the week.  Its that little pond on the right before the twin bridges heading south.   I know it is shallow but i would think some kind of fish lives there.   
[img width=106 height=80]http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i336/roundlakeNY/is.png[/img

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #59 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:57 PM »
I think that[wagner pond is feed from the mohawk river]if this is true then you bet there is fish there,can you fish it??
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.