Author Topic: Rods  (Read 5397 times)

Offline hallyslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rods
« on: Mar 14, 2019, 11:56 PM »
What are people running for good laker rods these days? Need something with fast action, good power for quick hook sets and enough back bone to tame a 25-30lber. Prefer the 36-42" length. Currently have a Clam Jason Mitchell elite mackinaw 36" MH baitcast with spiral guides, and an older Mitchell brush n rod. The JM is great and I'd like another one or two but they are now discontinued. Limited selection for good rods here in Canada it seems..

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rods
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2019, 11:21 AM »
I use 2 M/H Ugly stick 48" with Diawa LC 17 and it works well.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2019, 12:17 PM »
Hallyslayer - I have the same clam JM rod and wish I would have bought another if they are discontinued.  Too late now I guess. The other rod I use a lot is a Clam Dave genz split handle 36” mh spinning. I like it for lure weights up to 3/4 oz. I also have the same rod but a 40” H, but is too stiff for my liking unless using lures heavier than 1 oz.

Offline hallyslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:10 PM »
I have found several models online after several hours of looking. The genz split handle were high on my list but can't find one in stock anywhere. Prefer the baitcast but appears the only one out there is a 34" jason mitchell, can't find one in stock anywhere either. Spinning is alright. The HT Laker Pro in 38" is the only one I can find in stock anywhere and the shipping is more than the price of the rod. Ridiculous. Might have to hold tight until next season. Tough when I've got a month or more of good ice left.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2019, 10:49 PM »
Spend the money and have a custom rod built.  In my opinion there is no adequate over the counter rod for big lakers.  I’ve seen videos of guys catching big fish on the jason Mitchell rods and ugly sticks and they have to play the fish way to long to get it to the hole and that can be very stressful for big lakers.  I have all my rods built by 3-rivers fly and tackle in wasilla Ak and they are top notch.  Very fast action with a heavy backbone so you can actually stop those big hard runs and still finesse the smallest baits.  They use solid glass blanks so they are tough as nails, I accidentally rolled a jet sled on one that was in a bucket and the rod actually kept the sled from flipping over completely while it was being drug behind a 4-wheeler.  One of there rods will start out around 90 bucks and go up from there depending on how fancy you want to make it,  totally worth the money trust me.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2019, 05:44 PM »
I make my own.  ;D
And yes, they are solid glass also.
Made from cut down saltwater blanks.
Can't remember the length of this one but it was for one of my Alaskan buds.  ;)
I think it was either a 32" or 36". My hut rods are 28"-32" and my outside rods are 42".

Offline Maineguy93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2021, 07:01 PM »
I fish strictly for Lakers in northern Maine and the occasional musky trip, my two main rods are a Tuned Up Customs (TUCR)  40” Lake Trout Precision rod (LTP). I use that to target larger Lakers with larger and heavier baits/lures.

My second rod which is used more often is a TUCR 36” Commander.

The rods are on the higher end of the price scale but in my opinion they are well worth it, if you take care of them they will last you a life time. I have had no accidents with my rods but I have heard that the customer service is awesome and if you do have an accident they work with you to get it fixed.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2021, 05:55 AM »

I have a little trouble building as I have developed a slight essential shake  so a bud built me a 36” solid glass 1 stripper guide , with titanium snake guides and fly rod tip , and it’s guaranteed for life , I’m pleased with it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.