Author Topic: Best hut for windy days?  (Read 3209 times)

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best hut for windy days?
« on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:10 PM »
First off, Happy Easter all. I'm lookin for another portable to use for windy days. I have a Eastman Ice Cube 4man hut now. It works fine until the wind comes up, then it turns into a kite.  I had to stop fishin a few times this year because of the wind and the worst part of it was they were some of the best days "catch" wise that I've had. What I'm lookin for is what in your opinion is a good (at least 2 person) hut in the wind. I fish alone so it has to be portable and easy for 1 person to set up / take down.  Any and all replies welcome...Oh yeah...if you can help me eliminate the Not so good ones , please do. Thanks for your time, Bob
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
Re: Best hut for windy days?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:12 PM »
Did you try ice anchors?

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:16 PM »
I use a 4 man ice cube too, and with the anchors in, I find it is great in really strong winds.  When setting it up in the strong winds I put in the corner anchor, then screw in a couple for the sides so when I pop it up I can instantly secure it.   Its great compared to a clam I used to use.  I think it would be hard to beat a cube for windy days with all the anchors in.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:20 PM »
I use a sheppell s3000 with a corner angled to the wind, don't use that door though. And ice anchors.  Don't by a strikezone ice bandit. front flips up and is just a poor design.

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:31 PM »
Yeah guys, I use the anchors. It's probably a combination of things that bugs me about the ice cube. I LOVE the room in it, but I've had the anchors loosen up when its really windy and the wind side fold in on me more than once. Also in the back of your mind is the , I bet this is gonna be fun to pack up again scenario, when it's time to leave. All in all the hut is warm and roomy but you guys who have em have to admit how much fun it is to move or pack up on a windy day if your by yourself!  I was just lookin for an alternative that might be less of a hassle . Thanks again for the replies

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:58 PM »
You must have the anchors pull out on really warm days.  Thats the only time I've had that problem, last year at last ice when the sun was beating down they pulled out fairly easy.  I started making piles of ice chips around the anchors, and it helped.  It hasn't been warm enough yet up here this year, so I haven't had that problem yet, likely within the next couple weeks though.   Packing up in the wind is easier than setting it up though, I just leave the corner anchor in until its down, and almost all folded up.  Setting up can be tricky in the wind but i've got it down to a science having set it up about 50 times or more these past two seasons, and mostly by myself.  There is likely some shack which is easier to setup, etc, in the wind, and I am sure some others will add to this.  I've only used the cube and a clam.   8)

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2008, 10:44 PM »
You must have the anchors pull out on really warm days.  Thats the only time I've had that problem, last year at last ice when the sun was beating down they pulled out fairly easy.  I started making piles of ice chips around the anchors, and it helped.  It hasn't been warm enough yet up here this year, so I haven't had that problem yet, likely within the next couple weeks though.   Packing up in the wind is easier than setting it up though, I just leave the corner anchor in until its down, and almost all folded up.  Setting up can be tricky in the wind but i've got it down to a science having set it up about 50 times or more these past two seasons, and mostly by myself.  There is likely some shack which is easier to setup, etc, in the wind, and I am sure some others will add to this.  I've only used the cube and a clam.   8)
LOL  you are exactly right on both accounts...The only time the anchors got loose was during late/ soft ice and when I setup I always put an anchor in the ice before even setting up the hut, and when taking down, I leave 1 anchor in and fold that side in last. Like you said, having done it many times you get pretty good at it! I was just wondering if one of the many styles out there was any better. It seems that more days than not, theres plenty of wind where I fish. Thanks for your time

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:47 AM »
I too have a ice cube......If you are having a problem with the ice anchors......and no concern about freezing....you can use the method of a piece of PVC with Rope tied in the middle......Drill hole and shove it down and clamp under the ice........unless you are so warm you are losing ice, the anchors will never fail......

Another idea that I have seen is to install more grommets on the skirt.......and that holds the skirt directly to the ice......I would still add one anchor tie to the tether of a side on the windward side........but the wind cant get under it then.

I always set atleast 1 anchor on the windward side before i even get it out of the bag.......I then will set it up with the door away from wind by attaching extended tether to ice clamp before i open it.....if the wind is strong......it will only assist with opening the shanty......I never have had to use all 4 anchors......putting a side in the wind 3 is the most i have ever used.....and thats on  glare ice w/o snow.....

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2009, 06:24 AM »
Frabill refuge. Cabin style with floor 2-3 guys much like the shappell 3000. I think the floor factorhelps against the wind and what not. Its on the cheap side ive seen em for like 229. Easy to setup/ take dow, frame just pops up.

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:16 PM »
older model clams with wood or thick heavy plastic floors

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:18 AM »
I have a Frabil recon . All I use is 1 ice anchor..put my back / shanty to the wind ..Screw in the anchor,  and hook my pull rope to the anchor!  it stays put even during 30+ mph winds!!

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:37 AM »
I know what you mean with the cube in the wind, they can be a finicky shack to start with, then you add wind and it can get interesting. You CAN SET IT UP in all kinds of wind, but its feels risky. I have tried to set it up where I put in the anchor in the corner and the other two for the straps, but you almost need to do some trigonometry to figure out where the anchors should go.

I want an otter lodge next time I buy a shelter, but I have a snowmobile, so I wouldn't need to anchor it down or at least not as much. The way I see it I should be able to drive to a spot and park across the wind and maybe put an anchor in the back to keep it from being pushed sideways, then just flip over and fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.