Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431497 times)

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #300 on: Nov 25, 2008, 08:28 PM »
The water clarity the past few days has been terrible.  Usually this time of year its way clearer.  Also the lake level is way down.  I caught one 20 incher tonight but I wasnt marking many and I was in a prime spot ???.  Gonna maybe try and make it out on the main lake tommorow morning.

still fishing the little lake?  How much ice you got there?  Im going to try to make it up and poke some test holes tomorrow to see if we can get out.  Keep the reports coming, it helps us guys out that are 75 miles away.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #301 on: Nov 26, 2008, 08:59 AM »
Didnt make her out this morning.  I had the bottle flu :laugh:.
Little lake has 3 inches in most areas.  Havent checked the main lake in a few days.  It "might" be ready for this weekend.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #302 on: Nov 26, 2008, 09:52 AM »
ill be out there sometime today and will hopefully have some photos of fish up this evening.  is it safer to walk out from mcintosh or the grade?

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #303 on: Nov 26, 2008, 06:23 PM »
We went from McIntosh Beach out on to the main lake this morning.  Made it out 3-400 yards fine.  It was around 2.5 inches near shore but closer to 3.5-4 when we got out farther.  Not much going, and I think we will wait til she puts a little more on. 
How deep are you fishing in the little lake?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #304 on: Nov 26, 2008, 06:26 PM »
Fishing 14.5 foot in the channel.  I only managed one barely 14inches tonight.  Didnt see many on the vex either.  Gonna hit farmers in the morning since the channel isnt happening.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #305 on: Nov 26, 2008, 07:07 PM »
got bogged down with the family agenda today, didnt make it out.  :( went to get bait at willow mart in mason but they wont have minnows till ice fishing picks up.  i guess ill be catching my own bait in the morning since crazy minnow doesnt open till 7.  planning on the lake again,  hope it works out.    but if anyone feels like shooting fish in a barrel, they stocked big blue today.  i sat in the car and watched for 10 minutes but no one caught anything.  surprising.  maybe the pros had been there and gone with thier limit already, but you wouldnt think it would take a pro to catch stocked adult fish. i dont know.  it is fun though.

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #306 on: Nov 26, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Does the gas station on the south east side of the lake open at 6 or 7.
Is that the place you are talking about?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #307 on: Nov 26, 2008, 07:22 PM »
The gas station In CL does open at 6 I do believe thats the one just Nrth of state park at the Y intersection they have bait I stopped in there Sunday and minnowed up.  Willow Mart is in Mason City.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #308 on: Nov 26, 2008, 07:24 PM »
the crazy minnow is on the north side by the barrel drive in.  i dont know what time the place on south shore opens, though.  the one thats right on that sharp fork in the road, north of the camp ground, right?   but i do like buying minnows there.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #309 on: Nov 26, 2008, 07:27 PM »
just minnows and waxies there?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #310 on: Nov 26, 2008, 07:28 PM »
Most people dont carry waxies yet around here.  He did have minnows the other day though at the gas station.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #311 on: Nov 26, 2008, 07:30 PM »
i bought some from fleet farm today, pretty lively.  no dead ones          3 dozen for 1.40 i think.  looks like thier from the same company as the canadian nightcrawlers they usually have in the fridge.

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #312 on: Nov 26, 2008, 07:32 PM »
We always get them at the gas station and they are good and get way more then you pay for.
I like these places that count out minnows I just laugh.
Have to keep the small business person in business.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #313 on: Nov 26, 2008, 07:40 PM »
definately.  haven't been to the crazy minnow in a long time because its not on my way to the lake.  but the south gas station gives you a better deal than anywhere in mason for minnows, that i know of.     i do like the canadian nightcrawlers at fleet farm for the summer on live bait rigs though,  the canadians are fatter.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #314 on: Nov 27, 2008, 09:52 AM »
Went for a little bit this morning on the main lake till the wind came up and blew me off there.  Ice was over 4 inches.  Im guessing by the end of this weekend there should be almost 6 inches?  Time for quads next week. :D

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #315 on: Nov 27, 2008, 11:16 AM »
do any good?  i went for trout instead.

Offline Catchaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #316 on: Nov 27, 2008, 02:41 PM »
    Hello guys its good to think about getting out again. Have the yellows or eyes been doing anything on Clear in the last few days.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #317 on: Nov 28, 2008, 09:07 AM »
drilled a couple holes last night east of dogdes.  just a couple small ones. not worth making the trip quite yet.  maybe someone else did a little better.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #318 on: Nov 28, 2008, 09:36 AM »
Those commie weatherman have to go and change the forecast all the time.  It was supposed to not get above freezing all weekend
with lows in the teens.  And they go ahead and change it to around 45 or so! So instead of making ice were prolly losing ice! >:(

Offline Frank Boling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #319 on: Nov 28, 2008, 11:35 AM »
Our thinking has been that the northern part of Iowa would be on the cold side of the strong thermal boundary that is setting up for this winter,but as of right now I can see how a battle zone this winter sets up between warm/cold over northern Nebraska through northern Iowa.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #320 on: Nov 28, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Yeh the extended forecast is looking terrible for ice making.  Gonna be till after christmas for drive out.  Glad I got a 4 wheeler this year. :laugh:

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #321 on: Nov 28, 2008, 02:19 PM »
didnt have to wear my gloves fishing earlier today.  not a good sign.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #322 on: Nov 28, 2008, 04:47 PM »
I hear a group did pretty well on the yellows today. looks like trip next weekend may be in order

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #323 on: Nov 28, 2008, 07:53 PM »
Saw some pictures from today's catch so I know there is some truth to the stories.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #324 on: Nov 28, 2008, 08:56 PM »
Maybe you are talking about my report, but even if not, here it goes.

We got about 35 yellows between 3 of us.  Most in the 8-9 inch range, with 8 or so in the 11 inch range.  We fished from 930-1230, so not exactly the best times.  Action was consistent, they would come in, get one or two, then be gone for 10 minutes or so.  One guy caught 18 of our fish, and we drilled within about 8 feet of him, and still couldnt mark as many fish.  So I guess the name of the game is to just keep moving.  Ice was around 4 inches off Farmers, and pretty decent ice.  Not sure how it held up late this afternoon, but it hasnt lost any from Wed. til Friday, so hopefully we can gain a couple more inches by early next week and be good for a little more exploring.

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #325 on: Nov 28, 2008, 09:50 PM »
Yes Nick it was your pictures that I saw
Was there a crowd or just people standing on shore calling you nuts?

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #326 on: Nov 28, 2008, 10:48 PM »
maybe just some people standing on shore yelling - HEY, qiut catching all of our fish!  :D        good to hear nick.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #327 on: Nov 29, 2008, 12:19 AM »
There wasnt anybody out that I saw.  A couple drove in and turned around, and maybe some came out later in the day.  The early ice kind of caught us off guard too, we needed another week or so to have everything ready.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #328 on: Nov 29, 2008, 03:12 AM »
thanks for the report Nick.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Frank Boling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #329 on: Nov 29, 2008, 08:33 AM »
Yeh the extended forecast is looking terrible for ice making.  Gonna be till after christmas for drive out.  Glad I got a 4 wheeler this year. :laugh:

I think the cold makes a good come back by later next week,and from most of the data we have looked at temps should be somewhat below normal for much of the first half of Dec,so don't give up hope for good enough ice to drive out on by christmas or maybe a little before.I'M still planning a trip through Clear Lake the end of the month or first part of Jan, so I hope our forecast for that area works out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.