Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431505 times)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #270 on: Mar 24, 2008, 08:45 PM »
The bite is way shallow.....Should be picking up in the next few days theyre moving to early season spots.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #271 on: Mar 30, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Is the ice out yet?

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #272 on: Sep 13, 2008, 12:11 AM »
where are the dangerous spots to drive on the lake and where exactly are the aerators? (I dont know how to spell aerator)

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #273 on: Sep 13, 2008, 07:23 PM »
I know youre supposed to stay away from the island, are there any other spots to be weary of?

Offline Frank Boling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #274 on: Nov 07, 2008, 10:04 AM »
I'M going to be driving through the Clear Lake area on my way to MN this winter to ice fish,is there any places in the Clear Lake/mason City area that rent power augers?..thanks for any help.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #275 on: Nov 07, 2008, 11:46 AM »
Nope not that I know of.  The sporting goods shops/stores dont rent out any equipment.  For how much people ice fish CL you think someone would get on it.  No sleeper shacks either :-\

Offline Frank Boling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #276 on: Nov 08, 2008, 08:28 AM »
 :-\...Well dang,I guess I will just have to use a hand auger then,don't spend enough time ice fishing to invest money in a power auger,maybe a good excuse to move back up north ;D,we did live in Fargo for a few years.

Offline JimBobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #277 on: Nov 08, 2008, 12:41 PM »
where are the dangerous spots to drive on the lake and where exactly are the aerators? (I dont know how to spell aerator)

The aerators are located over on the east end of the lake near the city park boat launch.  I'm not sure if there are others.

~Jim

Offline ZEKE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #278 on: Nov 08, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Frank if we happen to meet on the ice at Clear Lake you are welcome to use my gas auger.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #279 on: Nov 08, 2008, 06:59 PM »
Theres also an aerator midlake on north shore to watch out for.  A few springs/weak areas by dodges point.  Not to mention the sometimes notorius pressure ridge running North to south across that area, usually marked with thin ice signs(use care and good judgement while crossing with vehicle).  And the channel area where the little lake connects to the main lake that never freezes quite right due to current,get as close as you dare :o 

Other than that....
Watch for runoff on some of the ramps.  I broke through the East end/ gas station ramp 2 yrs ago in my truck.  It was intresting.   :laugh:

Offline Frank Boling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #280 on: Nov 09, 2008, 11:12 AM »
Frank if we happen to meet on the ice at Clear Lake you are welcome to use my gas auger.

ZEKE,

Thanks for your kind words,I would think since I will be up to clear lake in the early ice season (late DEC) a hand auger would still work pretty good...when does clear lake freeze all the way over?...just a guess,but I was thinking in normal years it would freeze over by early or mid DEC...I was through there last winter in late Jan ,and some of the locals told me that the ice had really good thickness.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #281 on: Nov 09, 2008, 11:58 AM »
Last year I iced my first eye on Nov. 29th 3.5-4inches of ice.  24 Incher it was a dandy.  I would say most years 2nd week of December foot traffic, quads around christmas and trucks 1st of the new year.  Hopefully the forecast starts getting colder and we can get on early again for the hot bite!

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #282 on: Nov 18, 2008, 07:43 PM »
It should be good on Little Lake on the west end of Clear Lake.  I heard they have been catching some nice walleyes where they have been dredging.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #283 on: Nov 22, 2008, 11:32 PM »
i see you switched your photo, did you catch that muskie recently?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #284 on: Nov 23, 2008, 09:28 AM »
Thats no muskie ;D
Just a big northern.  Caught her on halloween.

Im going to go check the little lake right now AND im bringing my gear.  Might try and sneak out there and catch a few if theres a couple inches.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #285 on: Nov 23, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Whole lake is iced over.  Little lake has around 3 inches.  I forgot my damm tape so I didnt get an accurate measurement.  Grabbing my shack now gonna hit her up this afternoon.  After I respool everything and get my tackle box in line.  Hopefully I can ice some eyes.  Ill get some ice pics though for sure :D

Anyone else get out this weekend?

Offline crappieangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #286 on: Nov 23, 2008, 05:49 PM »
get anything buster?  What would you guess on thickness on main lake?  How did the ice do today after the warm up?

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #287 on: Nov 23, 2008, 08:06 PM »
Ya lets here it bud.  We were at Corny Saturday and the ice was just decent enough to get out for a bit.  Nothing big, but lots of small eyes, perch, whites, and gills.

We will be at Clear Lake about 1.5hrs after you get on here and tell us its safe!
Let me know, we may come up tomorrow if you think its good enough to go.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #288 on: Nov 23, 2008, 08:53 PM »
Ice was running 2-3 inches on the little lake main lake was froze but not ready yet.  I fished west of the channel.  The fishing was sloooooowww managed some small yellows,perch,and eyes of course had to move around alot.  Nothing anywhere near keeping.  But it was good to get out.  Ice was hanging in there with the warmer temps.  The snow was slushing up a bit on top but thats it.  I think this is the earliest ive ever ice fished CL.  It felt awesome to be out! :laugh:

If you do go out bring your cellphone,ice picks,spud bar,25ft of rope and one of them floating boat cushions.  Never can be to safe this time of year! ;D

My first victim of the 08 season. What a lil guy ehh?

First eye through the ice for 08.  Whatta dink!

Leaving is such sweet sorrow.. :(

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #289 on: Nov 23, 2008, 09:15 PM »
my mistake, your photo makes it look lighter in color. nice fish.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #290 on: Nov 23, 2008, 09:40 PM »
CB! I was sleeping when u called! Lets get out there this weekend in the ice stays good! Good to see you made it out! Where is the shasta at???

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #291 on: Nov 24, 2008, 04:57 AM »
Thanks for the report.  Keep us posted, but as of now we may try Wed.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #292 on: Nov 24, 2008, 07:48 PM »
i have wed thru tuesday off, i will definately be out there.  has anyone gone out today?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #293 on: Nov 24, 2008, 09:08 PM »
I plan on hitting it in the afternoon tommorow.  Gonna track down the keepers and hit some spots that look good on the map chip.  I'll be at her all weekend too.  Not gonna quit till I get on em!

You wont find many out on early ice around here.  They dont wanna walk a 1/4 mile.  Or fall through ;)
Should see some die-hards out this weekend though.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #294 on: Nov 24, 2008, 10:14 PM »
at least we wont have to compete with the rest of the shanty town quite yet.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #295 on: Nov 24, 2008, 10:21 PM »
A buddy of mine went up today.  He was by himself, so didnt get adventurous at all.  He could see where you had been out in the little lake, and he drilled some holes off Farmers.  Found some decent ice out to about 50 yards, then it was getting too thin to go solo.  Do you think most of the lake will be fishable by weekend, or are you sticking to the little lake?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #296 on: Nov 25, 2008, 08:33 AM »
The main lake will probably not be ready. :-[  A few crap days coming up in the lower 40s with sun will not help.  As long as we make it below freezing everynight it will refreeze turning that little bit of slush on top back into Ice but not making much extra.  It was 13 here when I woke up this morning so were "okay" I think.  Only thing that would mess with us now would be a rainy windy day in the 50s.  Ive seen the entire lake blow open on days like that.

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #297 on: Nov 25, 2008, 03:37 PM »
How much do you guys think the dredging will affect fishing on the little lake?  I am looking forward to good fishing over there.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #298 on: Nov 25, 2008, 06:55 PM »
The water clarity the past few days has been terrible.  Usually this time of year its way clearer.  Also the lake level is way down.  I caught one 20 incher tonight but I wasnt marking many and I was in a prime spot ???.  Gonna maybe try and make it out on the main lake tommorow morning.

Offline tsmith17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #299 on: Nov 25, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Cool, I havent been out yet, but I am looking forward to see how you do on the man lake. :) Good luck man.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.