Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431484 times)

Offline minnow_master

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2520 on: Feb 03, 2016, 01:52 PM »
hiya!  Thinking about fishing this weekend.  Can anyone tell me how much snow accumulated on the lake and is it a slush-fest?  Can a truck still get around with the snow?  Thank you in advance!

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2521 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Yes as far as the little lake a truck can get out. Kevan Paul cleared a road out to about twenty three fow yesterday.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2522 on: Feb 04, 2016, 07:38 PM »
Hopefully by Saturday everyone will have it all packed down. Put chains on four wheeler but it's only a 300 and not much clearance for the deep stuff

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2523 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:37 PM »
What about the access at the pumphouse? Anyone getting through there yet or Farmers??

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2524 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:33 AM »
was wondering about farmers too ?

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2525 on: Feb 06, 2016, 09:29 AM »
Haha I'm sorry to keep chiming in like this fellas but I've been restricted to fishing just clear lake lately. Farmers and the pump house are both a go.
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2526 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Lots of snow on the lake...Very hard to hole hop and got stuck in my truck in front of Farmer's. Very weird day...The east side of Baptist was naked. All my go to yellow spots weren't producing so I joined the crowd at Baptist. Only way to get out of the wind. Ended with 75 big yellows..only kept 9"+...threw back at least that many 7"~ yellows

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2527 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Bockster

How did you access Babtist?

Thanks
Whip2

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2528 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:02 PM »
I launched at Farmer's and drive across. Saw guys get down through the pumphouse. Plan on trying again tomorrow morning hopefully before the wind picks up

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2529 on: Feb 07, 2016, 06:25 PM »
Anyone do any good today ?

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2530 on: Feb 07, 2016, 06:37 PM »
Today was very tough for my group.

Complete opposite of yesterday.

Walleye bite continues to be good in the evenings. Picking up a few keepers every time out.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2531 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:23 AM »
So no crossing with a truck from the little lake to the big lake? Coming up Friday, can't wait to fish this lake all weekend!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2532 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:43 AM »
I wouldn't cross at the narrows between the two, current.  I'd pull out and Go over to the pumphouse where their going out to the Baptist camp and big lake.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2533 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:59 AM »
So looking at the YBB website, the hours for the tournament are 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM? Or does tournament fishing start at 8:00 AM, as is suggested in another place? http://yellowbassbonanza.com/registration/2015-clear-lake-open-water-ybb-rules-2/

I ask because I am going to be up in the CL area next weekend, and I plan on heading to Clear Lake for some early morning fishing on Sunday. I am not taking part in the tournament, and plan to be off the ice early in the day. I am also not going out from Macintosh or anywhere on the Little Lake, for obvious reasons.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2534 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:00 PM »
Starts at 9 although people will be flooding in around 7-8 to line up with their quads/snowmobiles around Mcintosh

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2535 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:13 PM »
Midnight Rambler, if you are not going to be in the tournament can you do me a big favor?  Get in line like all the people that are and then at about 830 tearass right through the middle of them, right out onto the lake and never look back. Please please pretty please?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline whlfxr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2536 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:47 PM »
Now that would be funny right there!!!!  Stirrrr the Pot!!!

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2537 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:57 PM »
I'm hoping to catch more than just 38 fish this year during the tournament. Gonna try to stay more mobile, looks like it is gonna be a cold one this year tho!!

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2538 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:14 PM »
I don't mind a cold year...means less people will be eager to move   ;D I can make a deal with ya Rambler...I'll send you my GPS coordinates and you go drill those areas out before the tournament! Sounds like a win win!  But on a side note...Baptist is going to get hammered. That whole west end of it will be an absolute city both Saturday and Sunday. A lot worse than less year

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2539 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:37 PM »
I hope baptist looks like swiss cheese.  makes hole hopping easier.  That is one good thing if a guy wanted to fish after the tournament there are plenty of holes

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2540 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Baptist sounds like it will be like the spot I was in for 2015. We were completely land locked in all directions. Must of been 40 people ice fishing around me.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2541 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:56 PM »
I posted on Pauls fbook page, but did you read that supposedly dnr will be enforcing atv regulations this weekend. I'm curious to see how strict they will be on having passengers on atvs and snowmobiles that don't have a passenger seat. Or if they will allow people to ride on trailers. Kinda wish they just made everyone walk, but that's just because I don't have a atv  :)

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2542 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:12 PM »
Heh heh. Maybe I can keep creeping inside of 20' on contest anglers, forcing them to move.

Just kidding. My plan is to get in some fishing early and be off the lake when the tournament starts, and a 9:00 AM start time works pretty well for that. I suppose I could go out from the north side somewhere on the Little Lake before sunrise, but I would still get stuck in the commotion, and I'd rather avoid it as much as possible.

I would not be planning a trip to CL for non-contest fishing on this of all weekends, but my wife is from the area and we are going to be there for a family function this weekend. I have Sunday morning to kill, so a trip to CL works out well.

As far as fishing goes, sounds like there will be more snow on the ice by the weekend. That will not make hole-hopping any easier.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2543 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:43 PM »
I posted on Pauls fbook page, but did you read that supposedly dnr will be enforcing atv regulations this weekend. I'm curious to see how strict they will be on having passengers on atvs and snowmobiles that don't have a passenger seat. Or if they will allow people to ride on trailers. Kinda wish they just made everyone walk, but that's just because I don't have a atv  :)

We are allowing people to ride on trailers and in shacks.

We are wanting all ATV fisherman to park at Lynn lorenzen ramp and Ventura marsh lot. Then check in at the stars and stripes flying high out in front of Macintosh.

Thanks
Chris

Offline huntneiowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2544 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:14 PM »
So it says it's a team or solo event. Is the entry fee the same for both?

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2545 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:33 PM »
It's $100 for a team or solo. It's been full for over a month tho. this is hands down the best time ever! My brother doesn't even like to fish but has a blast fishing the ybb. The prize payouts are unreal!!!

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2546 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:53 PM »
How does everyone cook up large batches of yellows? I usually cook mine in just Crushed Ritz/saltines panfried. Delicious but after a batch or two the oil starts getting too hot and the pan is filled with burnt crumbs and just doesn't cook well after a batch or two...For those that deep fry a gallon of yellow fillets at one fry what is your receipe? Thanks!

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2547 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:34 PM »
I like andys red or the original shore lunch.  Andy's red is by far my favorite.  Letting fish sit in batter for 5 minuets before frying seems to help it stick better.  I actually pat dry my fillets with a towel, put the seasoning/breading in a gallon bag, put the fillets in the bag (I usually have about 1" square chunks), blow air in the bag, and shake.  I only do a handful at a time and add seasoning/breading as needed, set on a plate until all of your fillets are coated, to the fridge for 5 min, then fry and enjoy.  I do that with all of my fish except walleye which usually see the grill or the oven.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2548 on: Feb 09, 2016, 09:23 AM »
I usually make big batches of yellow bass filets in to chowders, stir fries, or soups.

It saves the hassle of breading a couple hundred filets, and then cleaning up afterwards.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2549 on: Feb 09, 2016, 04:04 PM »
I don't remember when the atv was givin away last year. Did they give it away at the banquet? I'd be one happy fisherman if I won the atv this year!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.