Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431497 times)

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2070 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:22 PM »
I heard 4-6 from crazy minnow but thats not first hand so take with a grain of salt.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2071 on: Dec 03, 2013, 09:34 PM »
It was a good 5 inches before all the warm weather

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2072 on: Dec 06, 2013, 05:21 PM »
I saw some brave souls out on Little Lake this morning when it was -3º  Did anybody have any luck?

Offline notime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2073 on: Dec 08, 2013, 06:13 PM »
How's the bite been. Trying to get caught up on work so I can get out next weekend

Offline TTAVENIER3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2074 on: Dec 10, 2013, 08:04 PM »
anyone know what the lakes like. trying to finish my new ice shack so i can get out this weekend. hoping its good enough ice for my perm shed.  on another not anyone know of the best way to run piping for my lp system. i have 3 appliances to run lp for. its an old pop up frame so it has dual tanks  set up already on the front then it runs down to the frame and stops. looks like what ever was there befor is gone know. im curious if i can run a couple tees down there and make some hydraulic hoses at my work or do i need to use something specific. anyone have any ideas
thanks in advanced.
Terry T
"FOREVER BE STRONG"

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2075 on: Dec 10, 2013, 10:28 PM »
seen two trucks drive out today.  little lake must be around 10" Plus

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2076 on: Dec 11, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Havent been over that way in about 2 weeks, sounds like the ice is treating us very well and hopefully going to the shack out very soon. Any luck on little lake? Dont forget to stay safe and always check out Iowa fishing reports and conditons on fb!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2077 on: Dec 11, 2013, 05:46 PM »
10 1/2 inches on the main lake.  Drove the truck out.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2078 on: Dec 12, 2013, 11:53 AM »
a couple of the goose holes have froze over so be careful crossing the big lake.  The ice is pretty good all over but just be careful. 12" in the little lake. 

Offline cyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2079 on: Dec 14, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Thinking of heading out early tomorrow morning......is it worth going to farmers?   I also have a few of the reefs (im a stay away from the crowd type of guy) on the north side of the lake marked.........is everyone in the little lake so far?

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2080 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:04 AM »
its been a dead sea on here.....hopefully we are all fishing! hows the little lake been? taking the shack out thurday morning i believe

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2081 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:09 PM »
You must be catching them. When the CL thread gets buried, usually means they're on the ice yanking them.

Can I get an ice report? How many inches? How's the accesses? Thanks.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2082 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:42 PM »
   12" at most  Wed.  Some people driving at Mac & Farmers????

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2083 on: Dec 20, 2013, 05:55 PM »
10-13 inches on little lake.  Snow cover is minimal can still get around in cars 1/2 tons are good to go out too I would wait for a few more inches before bringing anything bigger out.  Fishing has been pretty slow lots of lookers and not many takers.  Think we need a few inches of snow for the fishing to improve.  Average yellow is pretty small this year.  Lots of tiny smalleyes and crappies.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2084 on: Dec 21, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Watched a car and a full size truck drive thru the channel area tonight.  That connects the little lake to big lake....Surprised they didn't make the six o clock news. The DNR "should" have thin ice markers through there since a few people have dumped it and even died there.  They got lucky this time.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2085 on: Dec 21, 2013, 10:02 PM »
Watched a car and a full size truck drive thru the channel area tonight.  That connects the little lake to big lake....Surprised they didn't make the six o clock news. The DNR "should" have thin ice markers through there since a few people have dumped it and even died there.  They got lucky this time.

I remember when that guy drowned in the channel. It happened in 2004. Here's the article.

http://globegazette.com/news/local/duty-to-a-brother-ventura-man-s-body-recovered-from/article_f0044bd1-de06-5fb9-ba57-a33e80a94616.html

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2086 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:49 AM »
How do you guy's travel between the lakes? Is it safe to drive over the little beach then back onto the big lake, just make sure to stay away from the connecting channel?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2087 on: Dec 22, 2013, 02:55 PM »
Drive off the ramp and take the highway around.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2088 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:32 PM »
I was planning on using my Ranger xp, don't really want to drive it on the highway if possible. ;D

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2089 on: Dec 22, 2013, 08:54 PM »
Got 75 yellows in 2 hours pretty fun

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2090 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Yes. People just need to stay out of that channel. It looks inconspicuous but can be a danger. Get into the habit of taking the highways around then back on.  that article does a nice job of explaining why that area is so dangerous. They really should post signs stating "No travel".

How's it been over by the island or N shore around those reefs?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2091 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Fishing is slow at best.  Our shack picked up a 39in muskie today though. Starting to drift up pretty good out there.  Farmers access was blown in quite a bit.  Macintosh woods was plowed out.  SE Marsh access was not bad.  Ice was 14+ main lake and building quite a bit.  Warmest I seen today was -3 and its supposed to hit -19 tonight.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2092 on: Dec 26, 2013, 01:24 PM »
How much snow cover is on the main lake?  I'd like to come over Saturday but I only have a F150 4x4 to drive out onto the ice. (no wheeler or sled)  Is the ice bare enough to drive a truck most places?
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2093 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:15 PM »
If you have decent all terrain tires you wont have a problem.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2094 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:37 AM »
If you have decent all terrain tires you wont have a problem.

Thanks,  I've got the stock tires which are not real aggressive, but the tread depth is OK.  I may risk it and give it a shot.  Thanks for the reply.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2095 on: Dec 27, 2013, 02:30 PM »
Looking to pinpoint some muskie. Right now I am positioned on the little lake and wondering if there is any on the little lake and an idea where at?

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #2096 on: Dec 28, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Fished the Little Lake today and caught lots of yellows.  They came in two sizes- teeny and tiny.  My marcum was lit up almost all day and I caught a ton of 3-4 inchers.  I managed enough keepers to make a meal and was gifted a Crappie along the way.  I expected to get some bigger fish towards dark, but they never materialized.  I hope this isn't how the year id gonna go..... :-\
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2097 on: Dec 28, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Is there a place on clear where a guy could walk out without an ATV and get some fish? Yellows would be fun, always wanted to fish clear lake yellow bass. I know nothing about the lake, never been there. Just want to try something new. I would be pulling my clam nanook for my father to fish in, so long walk is out of the question unless its smooth ice.

I know is kind of a cliche, but I really don't want to ask for anyone's spots... just point me towards a community hole or a place to get on the ice and a general direction to head, I'll figure out the rest. I can assure you I will fish it once every 2 years if I'm lucky, so you'll probably never even know I was there.  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2098 on: Dec 28, 2013, 09:21 PM »
McIntosh Woods St Park ramps lead you onto the little lake and yellows most of the time, very short walk. Farmers beach area can be ok too coming from the south.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #2099 on: Dec 28, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Farmers would be another good spot BBK, just park on the road and walk out,  once you see the holes start drilling.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.