Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431499 times)

Offline ranger185

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2010 on: Mar 08, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Fished 6 hours on Clear today. Ventura Bay. 100 holes drilled in every depth, minnows, spikes, waxies, plastics. One 6" crappie to show for it. No other fish caught and very few seen on the Vex. I know I stink at this but didn't think I stunk that bad. Looking around you could tell others were struggling as well with alot of guys standing around and alot of drilling going on.
In a couple previous trips to Clear several 8" crappies were iced and released. One has to wonder if the reports of people catching limits day after day were these type of fish. I know there are bigger ones in there but...just sayin. Is that what is considered a "keeper" now that ice fishing has exploded? If you keep an 8" crappie you have got to be kidding me.
Reports of 500 plus yellows in a day by the guides and their clients. Thousands and thousands caught during the Yellow Bonanza Derby. Someone mentioned going to the lake and catching little Yellows and feeding them to the eagles? Maybe my grandson wants to catch them when they get to 7" or bigger. Yellows are an "invasive species" trash fish while year after year they provide fun to my children and grandchildren to catch them off the dock? You need to get a clue as to what Clear and Yellows are about.
I sense a change in ice fishing in Iowa. Been ice fishing for several years. Was early on the electronics and gear revolution. Now it is normal to see hundreds of people on Brushy, Clear, 12 mile, et. al. any given weekend. The fish are getting pounded..badly. Very badly.
At least the limits were changed (due to ice fishing primarily I think) to 20 panfish per day. That doesn't seem to stop guys from going 5 days a week to get their 20 limit of 8" crappies out of Clear or Brushy. Will we see future limits 5 per day? A slot limit of for crappies? Something needs to change.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2011 on: Mar 08, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Jigging cadence. Some have it and others don't so when the fish arent hungry and eating anything they come across it comes down to this imo. Crappie limit is 25 a day and I usually stick with the 10 or better rule unless they're 9" and an 1 1/2" thick like they come on the flowages in Wisconsin but normally 10" or better and bigger than 13" go back. But in reality if a person wants to keep 25 7" or 8" crappies its legal. Personally I'd like to see the limit go to 10-15 a day and put a possession limit in place.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2012 on: Mar 08, 2013, 09:06 PM »
The 1000 plus yellow bass caught during the bonanza are a drop in the bucket compared to how many are in the lake.

Daily limit for gills and crappie is 25 fish each.  I'd rather see guys keep the 8-9" crappie and let the 12" plus fish go.

Offline huntaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2013 on: Mar 09, 2013, 01:40 AM »
Call me on the day yellows get fished out of clear and I will give you a million dollars ::)

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2014 on: Mar 09, 2013, 06:42 AM »
you having a bad day of fishing is unfortunate....but don't be so quick to blame The guides and bonanza. we care deeply about this fishery!!!!!
for instance we promote the release of all crappie,perch and walleye when targeting yellows. last Sunday we caught and released 25+ crappie and some were over 12". it's possible to go out and not hammer on the yellows from time to time.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2015 on: Mar 09, 2013, 09:41 AM »
The yellow bass are still plentiful.  While dad and I haven't gotten on a good bite together yet we are still marking hundreds + while fishing.  They are in HUGE areas, 40'x40' plus area blocks, stacked up to 3 feet thick.  We can find a couple areas like that in very little time on just a small portion of little lake. The day they decide to bite for me again it'll be over 100+ fish a piece with no problem.

Offline Ice Psycho

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lovin me somw Ice
« Reply #2016 on: Mar 09, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Ranger---You are seriously crying about not catching any fish ????  You don't even know the limits,,,that doesn't speak well for your fishing knowledge or skills!  Just because you couldn't find the fish doesn't mean the largest natural lake in Iowa is being over fished!!  If its not fun for you anymore maybe you should hang it up. ???
If you hide from me I will find you and I will catch you !

Offline ramdriver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the ice.
« Reply #2017 on: Mar 09, 2013, 06:29 PM »
What is all this rain doing to the ice. Will it last another week? Would like to make one more trip.

Offline Iowan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2018 on: Mar 09, 2013, 06:35 PM »
What is all this rain doing to the ice. Will it last another week? Would like to make one more trip.

X2
Catch a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2019 on: Mar 09, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Drove trucks out today but now 4" of snow on the way.  Its not going to be good. We will have 5" of water on top plus high winds.  Next week will be the last if it don't get cold again. 

Offline ratherBfishN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2020 on: Mar 11, 2013, 03:41 PM »
Reports of 500 plus yellows in a day by the guides and their clients. Thousands and thousands caught during the Yellow Bonanza Derby. Someone mentioned going to the lake and catching little Yellows and feeding them to the eagles? Maybe my grandson wants to catch them when they get to 7" or bigger. Yellows are an "invasive species" trash fish while year after year they provide fun to my children and grandchildren to catch them off the dock? You need to get a clue as to what Clear and Yellows are about.
I sense a change in ice fishing in Iowa. Been ice fishing for several years. Was early on the electronics and gear revolution. Now it is normal to see hundreds of people on Brushy, Clear, 12 mile, et. al. any given weekend. The fish are getting pounded..badly. Very badly.
At least the limits were changed (due to ice fishing primarily I think) to 20 panfish per day. That doesn't seem to stop guys from going 5 days a week to get their 20 limit of 8" crappies out of Clear or Brushy. Will we see future limits 5 per day? A slot limit of for crappies? Something needs to change.

While I realize you are completely entitled to your opinion and it is respected as such, I am not sure one isolated fishing experience at Clear Lake can be used to substantiate your assumptions of the lake or the yellow bass/crappie population and its subsequent future.  The "guides" on here are some of the biggest proponents and advocates for good and ethical stewardship of that lake.  Obviously, it is first and foremost, their "own backyard".  Why would they do anything that would be detrimental to the fishing?  As guides, it's also their livelihood or one would assume.  As most on here will agree, the lake seems to be thriving and healthy as the increased weed growth and fish poplulation/size are proof of that fact.  It is an undeniable fact the yellow bass are indeed an invasive species and most likely will never have its population threatened by over harvesting.  Your children and grandchildren's experience at the lake should remain unaffected.  I couldn't agree more with your desire to keep the yellow bass around for their pleasure.  Nothing better than having kids experience the fast action that few fish can offer like the yellows.   I can't speak to the growth rates of the crappie but it's my understanding the yellows have a rapid growth rate during the warm season...up to an inch a month.  So a fast growth rate and prolific population pretty much guarantees successful future fishing experiences for you and your grandkids for years to come. 

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #2021 on: Mar 11, 2013, 03:46 PM »
While I realize you are completely entitled to your opinion and it is respected as such, I am not sure one isolated fishing experience at Clear Lake can be used to substantiate your assumptions of the lake or the yellow bass/crappie population and its subsequent future.  The "guides" on here are some of the biggest proponents and advocates for good and ethical stewardship of that lake.  Obviously, it is first and foremost, their "own backyard".  Why would they do anything that would be detrimental to the fishing?  As guides, it's also their livelihood or one would assume.  As most on here will agree, the lake seems to be thriving and healthy as the increased weed growth and fish poplulation/size are proof of that fact.  It is an undeniable fact the yellow bass are indeed an invasive species and most likely will never have its population threatened by over harvesting.  Your children and grandchildren's experience at the lake should remain unaffected.  I couldn't agree more with your desire to keep the yellow bass around for their pleasure.  Nothing better than having kids experience the fast action that few fish can offer like the yellows.   I can't speak to the growth rates of the crappie but it's my understanding the yellows have a rapid growth rate during the warm season...up to an inch a month.  So a fast growth rate and prolific population pretty much guarantees successful future fishing experiences for you and your grandkids for years to come.
Good post

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #2022 on: Mar 11, 2013, 03:47 PM »
How did Clear Lake hold up to the winds and rain?

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2023 on: Mar 11, 2013, 06:57 PM »
not sure yet.... there was a lot of water standing on the lake Saturday.
water in front of linn Lorenzon access was over 2' deep. ice was honey combing some.

no more vehicles would be my opinion. be safe!!!!!

good luck

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2024 on: Mar 12, 2013, 08:21 AM »
With the reproduction rates and reputation of the yellow bass it would be hard for me to believe that they could be "over fished" in any lake.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2025 on: Mar 12, 2013, 08:37 AM »
With the reproduction rates and reputation of the yellow bass it would be hard for me to believe that they could be "over fished" in any lake.

I agree 100 percent!!!!!!!!!!!  The only real way to get rid of them is to drain a lake after they have infested it.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2026 on: Mar 12, 2013, 12:21 PM »
Drove on the lake yesterday and it was ugly.  Lots of slop on the lake.  Today I drove on Crystal and that was worse yet.  Travel by foot or sled would still be ok but use caution. 

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2027 on: Mar 16, 2013, 06:59 AM »
Check the forecast for the Clear Lake area.  ;D

I was going to put my gear away after a trip to southern Minnesota today, but looking at the forecast for the next week a day-trip to Clear Lake next weekend might be in order.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2028 on: Mar 16, 2013, 07:20 AM »
They say the little lake has plenty of ice yet but really sloppy slush on top.  Good luck.

Offline Ice Psycho

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lovin me somw Ice
« Reply #2029 on: Mar 18, 2013, 12:14 PM »
The little lake still has a good 16" of ice. All the slush stuff it frozen now but still only seen
one truck on the ice. Fished on the west end and had decent luck with crappie and the yellows.
Still plenty off time to fish in northern Iowa  !!!
If you hide from me I will find you and I will catch you !

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #2030 on: Mar 18, 2013, 07:33 PM »
That's good to hear and the forecast looking like at least one more weekend . I would like to come join you guys I might be able to get away from work one last time
Never to many short poles

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #2031 on: Mar 21, 2013, 01:59 PM »
I fished Sunday on the little lake and caught just small perch and a couple small walleyes.  I fished 8-10 fow and had the screen full of fish, but it was tiny perch mostly.  On the upside, my new Marcum LX7 is nice.  Not sure how big of an improvement over my Vexilar, but after 15 years and several million fish, I decided to try a Marcum, just to see what the fuss is.  I figure what the heck, I'd spend it anyway, and wake up hung over and covered in baby oil and glitter.....
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline ramdriver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the ice.
« Reply #2032 on: Mar 21, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Would like one more trip hows the ice????? Worth the two hour drive?????? 

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2033 on: Mar 21, 2013, 10:44 PM »
walked out on little lake today plenty of good ice-14+   got 34 yellows- 2 large,5dinks, rest med-medsmall 2-16" whites &5 small perch  10 fow  5 vehicles on little lake???   3 east of island??????  imo they are looking for disaster.  should be good this wkend but be careful &wear ice cleats        good luck

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2034 on: Mar 21, 2013, 11:14 PM »
Ya I want one more trip hopefully I can get away from work one more time

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2035 on: Mar 22, 2013, 04:15 PM »
I fished Sunday on the little lake and caught just small perch and a couple small walleyes.  I fished 8-10 fow and had the screen full of fish, but it was tiny perch mostly.  On the upside, my new Marcum LX7 is nice.  Not sure how big of an improvement over my Vexilar, but after 15 years and several million fish, I decided to try a Marcum, just to see what the fuss is.  I figure what the heck, I'd spend it anyway, and wake up hung over and covered in baby oil and glitter.....

Clappy hands. I got a chuckle out of that one.  ;D

Offline jagerdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes ma'am, I can fish well too!!
« Reply #2036 on: Mar 24, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Fished the little lake tonight in 17 fow.  caught fish continuously, mostly yellows, with a few perch and dink walleyes mixed in.  caught some really nice yellows.  I used spikes, wax wor,s. minnows and gulp.  spikes was by far the best bait.  I got a lot more on verticle jigs versus horizontal.  All in all, a good night, and fish tacos tomorrow.  The Marcum worked great, although the Vex would have been just as good.  Either way, Ray Charles could have filled a 5 gallon bucket tonight. 
Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand!

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2037 on: Mar 25, 2013, 08:31 AM »
you will still get one more weekend out there. can you say yellows on April 1st........

ice is great and fish are biting.

124 yellows 31 over 9", 5 over 10". couple bonus whites too.

8-9' spikes seem to be the hot bait yesterday.

good luck
Chris

Offline ratherBfishN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2038 on: Mar 25, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Fished the little lake tonight in 17 fow.  caught fish continuously, mostly yellows, with a few perch and dink walleyes mixed in.  caught some really nice yellows.  I used spikes, wax wor,s. minnows and gulp.  spikes was by far the best bait.  I got a lot more on verticle jigs versus horizontal.  All in all, a good night, and fish tacos tomorrow.  The Marcum worked great, although the Vex would have been just as good.  Either way, Ray Charles could have filled a 5 gallon bucket tonight.

Thanks for the updates and the laughs!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2039 on: Mar 25, 2013, 04:56 PM »
Sounds like fishing is fast a furious . How thick is your ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.