Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431489 times)

Offline 515deerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bobbers down
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1560 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:29 PM »
how dose the ice across the north shore look.

Offline JOEKR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1561 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:40 PM »
There was 2 shacks off the pump hose east of the open water don't now how thick the ice is.
Its not caching it fishing

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1562 on: Jan 14, 2012, 08:53 AM »
how dose the ice across the north shore look.

FRESH......

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1563 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:27 PM »
Lotsa lookers off farmers today.  They didnt seem to committed. That access is an absolute joke.  Suprised no one went postal :o

Offline buckeye24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1564 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Fished the lake this afternoon and did pretty well!!!  ;D

Offline schuttlr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1565 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:29 PM »
not bad

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1566 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:33 PM »
Very impressive buckeye! I have been up a couple times this year but have never seen a haul like that. By no means looking for secret spots or lures but do u have ne tips ur willing to share?

Offline buckeye24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1567 on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:49 PM »
Very impressive buckeye! I have been up a couple times this year but have never seen a haul like that. By no means looking for secret spots or lures but do u have ne tips ur willing to share?
Just stay mobile! Drill a bunch of holes and hop between them! Until you find a hot one and once you find them stay after them!!!
Good Luck!

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1568 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:25 AM »
Nice work Buckeye.....too bad I know where you were fishing. ;)

Offline cyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1569 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:54 AM »
NIce Job Buckeye!  Were you the fisherman that I offered my measley 6 keepers too when I was walking back in?  I thought I mis understood you when you said that you had already GIVEN away a ton of fish.............I was all over and drilled 60 + holes out in 9 - 10 FOW.............nothin g but small ones.  We started out shallow and thought we had to go deep..........just should have stayed in and drilled more holes e-w

Offline buckeye24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1570 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:39 AM »
NIce Job Buckeye!  Were you the fisherman that I offered my measley 6 keepers too when I was walking back in?  I thought I mis understood you when you said that you had already GIVEN away a ton of fish.............I was all over and drilled 60 + holes out in 9 - 10 FOW.............nothin g but small ones.  We started out shallow and thought we had to go deep..........just should have stayed in and drilled more holes e-w
No that wasn't me! I have bad days to! Just stay mobile!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1571 on: Jan 15, 2012, 11:23 AM »
How are you guys accessing the baptist camp? ;D
Do they like catholics?

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1572 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:58 PM »
Well you were lucky buckeye(or good,lol) I have fished there last weekend and this weekend and got nada. Almost all of the others I talked to told me they got nothing too. I must need to find a better spot there. Looks like good eatin!

Paul

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1573 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:44 PM »
How are you guys accessing the baptist camp? ;D
Do they like catholics?

Nope! You have to be baptist  ;D

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1574 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Wow what a pile of fish.  No wonder why we didn't catch any this morning.  We were there for two hours without a bite at Farmers.

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1575 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:58 PM »
How many fow were they in??? I have been over ther 3 times and got 1 fish went to silver at lake park today and struck out didn't see or mark a single fish really puts a sour tate in a guys mouth when u drive a hr and a half and strike out I'm due for a hual like that
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1576 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:57 AM »
Buckeye didn't get them all. Fished from 8-12 Sunday morning got 136.

I have to say my friend Randy ( who does not icefish) did pretty well even with my son Levi trash talking without mercy.  ;D

Now to the defense of poor Buckeye.

I look at Yellow Bass the same way the DNR has issued a conservation order on snow geese. Without aggressive control of this species you will have a similair outcome to what has happened in many other waters around the state. They grow in the warmer monthes at a incredible 3/4" to 1" a month, so the dinks that you are pestered by will be next falls dinner.  :)

The yellows are there in very high #'s. The fishing is better than last year (not the ice conditions)  :'(.

So,please do not blame Buckeye for your poor fishing, but feel free to give him all the CRAP you want he deserves it!!!!

All you need to know about catching these Clear Lake Paranha's (sp?) is in these posts if you look back far enough. 

Good Luck

YTD 1110 yellows, 1 walleye, 2 catfish

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1577 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:06 AM »
 I'm debating driving up to fish on Friday and possibly spending the night and fishing Saturday morning also. Would there be any problem getting a motel at the last minute. I never like to plan too much ahead as things have a way of going wrong, but I've got a short list of places to go, and Clear is one of them.
I'd rather be :icefish:

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #1578 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:21 AM »
We fished saturday from 2 pm till 10:30 pm. No yellows and couldnt get on any walleye either. Caught a few dink crappies. This is our 2nd trip to Clear Lake. We fished Mcintosh the 1st time and farmers this time. We would have liked to try the big water and get on Dodges point and into some water. We determined that Clear Lake is a drinking lake and not a fish catching lake. There were 75 huts and no one seemed to be doing any good.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline bgwhitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1579 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:43 AM »
Its pretty funny how people on here constantly brag about how many they are catching and how invasive these fish are but won't say where they are catching them. and then they get 5 or 6 guys together and say they caught 150 fish.  So actually they prolly caught about 30 ea. Las time I was there I went out in front of the baptist camp and hammered them. Tiny jigs and spikes.  Drillen a bunch of holes fished till I caught some.  When I caught some I moved the house and drilled for the house.  They were gone.  Did this a few times till I realized it mus have been spooking the fish.  Left the house and did well!  So for those who are having a hard time gettin those invasive fish.  Maybe this will help.   

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1580 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Everyone on the lake could take home 200 a day and there would still be plenty of yellows.  Got into a swarm of juveniles that was 5 foot thick the other day.  Drill another hole 10 feet away same story.  They will take over a lake they are an invasive species and will destroy the lake.  When I was over there this weekend people just seemed to come out drill a few holes set up their shack in the crowds and call it good.   You need to drill drill drill! Move on every five minutes or so till you find a solid school. And sometimes when that doesnt work you can say to yourself that you tried your best. Put your tail between your legs and try another day.  But never blame another fisherman.

Offline panman79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1581 on: Jan 16, 2012, 11:00 AM »
I was up there about a week ago!  We did pretty well.  We seemed to be catching them on anything really.  The Minnow head seemed to work best.  I think biggest thing to stress is stay MOBILE, just like everyone is sayin!  They call it fishin for a reason ;D
Keepin it REEL!!

Offline iccy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1582 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:29 PM »
I've been up to Clear 5-6 times this winter already and have had success each time out.  My gf and I were out yesterday and went home with 25 or so.  Half of those fish came out of just 1 hole and in about 5 minutes time.  The action can be very fast and 15 ft between holes can make all the difference.

People on here generally don't say where they were catching them at but I don't think it really matters that much with these yellow bass.  I guarantee they are biting and active somewhere on the lake.  If you really want to know where they are biting, look for guys that aren't fishing in shacks, that what I do.  The guys that are really good at finding yellows, don't bother with a shack.

I think this forum is great for ice fishing nuts like myself and I have been a browsing troll for a long time.  I think it was time for me to sign up and start sharing.  I appreciate all the great advice that guys give out on here, hopefully I can return the favor someday.     

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1583 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:24 PM »
Welcome to the iceshanty.......

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1584 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:21 PM »
What are you guys seeing for ice thickness right now? Haven't been up there for about a week and I'm itching to get my permy out!

Offline iccy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1585 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:59 PM »
I measured 6-7 inches yesterday along north shore, east of baptist camp.  I think it's gonna be awhile yet for permies.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1586 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:49 PM »
If the weather would stay stable it wouldnt be a problem bringing them out. Its them odd 45-50 degree days that popup all the time thats worrysome. Anyone that bought a wheelhouse this year I feel for you. That 8 inches of ice thats out there has been soggy and refrozen so many times its junk ice I wouldnt trust it to far. End of Janruary hopefully people start pulling them out.

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1587 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:33 PM »
How bout Farmers? I was out on those days it was 55 degrees and I was still finding 10inches (8 good) of ice on the east side of Farmers. I thought with this good weather Farmers would have 12inches of good ice by now. Even if the fishing has slowed down there it'd still be nice to put a permy and then move around with a portable...

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1588 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:48 PM »
I didnt measure it the other day but it was probably around 8-9 inches.  Pretty good crack out there yet that hasnt seemed to heal up the best.  Are you gonna drive it out with a vehicle or atv?

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1589 on: Jan 16, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Lets say the DNR never introduced yellow bass to Clear Lake.  How would the ice fishin be?  Would there be more crappies and perch?  From what I read Clear Lake was all walleyes in the past and now its all yellows.  East Okoboji is full of them and West will follow.  Scary!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.