Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431489 times)

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1500 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:18 PM »
thanks for advice guys . Heading up there friday hope ice is still good at farmers .Crazy weather were im at tommorow 60 driving me crazy . Heard florida had snow its weird we cant get cold yet but its coming thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never to many short poles

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1501 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:22 PM »
 Hey shanty town how far north you heading . Heard mili lacs not all lake is froze up there !!!!! Hope you get a lot of eyes up there .Good Luck ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1502 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:37 AM »
farmers starting to look trashy   come on guys police yourself

Offline fishndude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1503 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:18 AM »
I agree. Please leave cleaner than when you arrived! I dont get it? Its common sense!

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1504 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:28 AM »
Well it looks like its going to be another warm one today... I hate when they change the forcast for the next day by 10 degrees :%$#!: You guys that are going out today, please let us know how the ice is by the end of the day. Hoping to get out Saturday.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1505 on: Jan 05, 2012, 12:08 PM »
I didnt see any trash while I was out there yesterday.  But if I do come across it. It comes home with me.  Sucks picking up after people but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do.  That ramp down there is a cluster ferk tho.  You think with all the congestion down there every year they would widen/improve that down there or just put in some sorta cul de sac where you can at least turn around easily.  Not to mention days that it melts all that runoff rolls straight down the road ditch into the lake.  Just a guess but clear lake would be even clearer if that was adressed down there AND make fishermen happy.

She will be melting quick its already 54 out......  And windy :(

Offline iowaicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1506 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:01 PM »
headed up next weekend, sure hope it holds together. weather next week looks promising.

Offline panman79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1507 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Headed up to the lake this wkend.  Hope the little ice thats there lasts!  Anyone know what it is like after today??  Keep praying for colder weather!
Keepin it REEL!!

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1508 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Headed up to the lake this wkend.  Hope the little ice thats there lasts!  Anyone know what it is like after today??  Keep praying for colder weather!

Its fine. 7 good inches of ice. Dont forsee it going anywhere

Offline panman79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1509 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Thanks Derek.  Been looking forward to this for a couple weeks!  Whats the bait of choice?  Looks like spikes.  Anyone using waxies??  Thanks for the input!
Keepin it REEL!!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1510 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:33 PM »
   Heading up there this weekend hows ice is it safe I heard iowa great lakes are colsed to ice fishing crazy ???????? PM me with conditions please!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1511 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:52 PM »
I didnt see any trash while I was out there yesterday.  But if I do come across it. It comes home with me.  Sucks picking up after people but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do.  That ramp down there is a cluster ferk tho.  You think with all the congestion down there every year they would widen/improve that down there or just put in some sorta cul de sac where you can at least turn around easily.  Not to mention days that it melts all that runoff rolls straight down the road ditch into the lake.  Just a guess but clear lake would be even clearer if that was adressed down there AND make fishermen happy.

She will be melting quick its already 54 out......  And windy :(
   Picked up 2 plastic sacks tonite -sacks also there-about 10 cans (bait money) +normal handwarmers, paper,& other trash. also a large crushed  plastic softdrink container & lid laying right behind the parked vehicles in plain site which I left purposely there last nite.  I did this in about 10 min after dark. I know there is alot more to the west of the parking & didn't even look east or along the road.  I've got to say the lake itself looks good in this area-not like the little lake last year.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #1512 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Sounds like an Iowegian doing his duty! Take the oath my friend!!!

Offline fishndude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1513 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:08 AM »
Thanks Perch  every little bit of pick up helps.

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1514 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:32 AM »
I might be making another trip to Clear lake myself.  If anyone hears or sees unsafe ice please report it.

Offline number905

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1515 on: Jan 06, 2012, 01:19 PM »
Also plan on going up to Clear Lake tomorrow. Please keep us updated on the ice conditions!

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1516 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Found out that I had to work tomorrow so I decided go go out today. Got out about 3 and spent about a hour trying to locate a school but didn't have much luck. Caught a couple here and there but they just weren't hitting very good. Been useing minnows and waxies. Had a really good eye but lost it at the hole. The ice for the most part is better then you might expect after yesterday good 7 to 8 inches still (farmers is where I was). Good luck to you guys tomorrow.

Offline schuttlr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1517 on: Jan 07, 2012, 06:21 AM »
wallteye nibbbles were going strong last night. caught one that was about 17 inches and all stressed out or something with growths all over its head.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1518 on: Jan 07, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Prolly a festering e-coli wound.  I wouldnt eat it.  Id drop it off with me so I can properly dispose of it ;)

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1519 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:22 PM »
I'm startin to think the yellows have started movin around in deeper water for the season, thoughts?

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1520 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Got to farmers at 2 and fished till 5:30 once we found the fish we could get them to come in and look but not too many takers. Kept 4 and caught about 15 but mostly small. Was surprised at how many people were there. Counted 44 vehicles as I drove out and there was at least half a dozen people that left before us. Measured 6.5-7 inches of ice not as bad as I was thinking it was gonna be. We need winter to get here.  :o

Offline schuttlr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1521 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:56 PM »
thats alright crappiebuster ill take care of it.  ;D

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1522 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:55 PM »
So will yellow bass start reacting to all the fishing pressure they've had on CL the last few weeks?

I'm no expert, but I would think they would start changing their behavior after a while. Maybe moving deeper, maybe being pickier about what they hit, maybe feeding in other areas, maybe feeding at night if they can.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1523 on: Jan 08, 2012, 04:47 AM »
Dont catch em all while im gone guys.  Prolly hit it up again thursday.

Offline adam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1524 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:42 AM »
Fished clear yesterday took home 56 yellows and two eyes. Had to stay mobile no more than 3 keepers out of one hole.

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1525 on: Jan 08, 2012, 01:22 PM »
So will yellow bass start reacting to all the fishing pressure they've had on CL the last few weeks?

I'm no expert, but I would think they would start changing their behavior after a while. Maybe moving deeper, maybe being pickier about what they hit, maybe feeding in other areas, maybe feeding at night if they can.

Hope not. The wife and I have an appointment with Paul's guide service on Saturday. I want to make sure she knws i'm not lying about catching fish when I drive to Clear once a week!

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1526 on: Jan 08, 2012, 01:45 PM »
The yellows I am familiar with would hang around in ever increasing number if the feed was still coming. They been rare in my lakes for about 5 years not that I miss them.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline panman79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1527 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:08 PM »
Fished at Farmers on Sat.  Took home 35 yellows and 1 eye!  Had a blast!!  Good luck yall!!!
Keepin it REEL!!

Offline cyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1528 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Still in that 8 FOW?  I haven't been there since 2011 (The 30th :)).  We did good on Minnow heads on spoons, are you having to downsize?

Offline schuttlr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1529 on: Jan 09, 2012, 05:55 AM »
ive caught the most yellows off of waxies now. Week or two ago minnows were the hot bait for me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.