Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431503 times)

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #600 on: Mar 09, 2009, 03:45 PM »
how much ice is there? anybody been fishing? thanks

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #601 on: Mar 09, 2009, 04:46 PM »
I drove past the Little Lake this afternoon and I saw a couple of portable shacks on the south side. They are walking out from McIntosh State Park.

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #602 on: Mar 10, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Thursday night we had about 20 inches of ice, 9 yellows and 2 walleye 12 inches and under.

Offline junior71991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #603 on: Mar 18, 2009, 10:41 PM »
I thought about busting out the 12 foot V bottom and doing a little fishing on what used to be the aerator, but now its open to shore. Anyone have recommendations of what to use as far a lures and bait go?
Common Sense......Ain't That Common Anymore!

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #604 on: Dec 04, 2009, 11:36 AM »
I drove by the Little Lake this morning and the ice is starting to form around the sides. It's probably 50-100 yards out in some places. Farmers Beach has about 100 feet out that is iced.  It won't be long now.  :)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #605 on: Dec 04, 2009, 11:57 AM »
And some pics to verifty ;)

Tonight with light winds and cold temps it should fully lock up.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #606 on: Dec 04, 2009, 01:05 PM »
Crappiebuster was that you in that 4 x 4 pickup this morning at Farmer's? I was just leaving in that beige Pontiac Montana.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #607 on: Dec 04, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Nope wasnt me.. After leaving macintosh in discust I figured nothing else would be iced over.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #608 on: Dec 04, 2009, 01:45 PM »
And while we wait for the ice to freeze here is some great news for Clear Lake.

The US Army Corps of Engineers will begin a restoration project at the Ventura Marsh during the summer of 2010. Completion of the dredging of Clear Lake doesn’t mean work to restore water quality at Clear Lake is finished.

Renovation of the Ventura Marsh is scheduled to begin in the summer of 2010, according to David Knoll, director of the Clear Lake Enhancement and Restoration (CLEAR) project.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is about 65 percent done with the design of the project. The corps hopes to bid the project by March 2010, Knoll said.

“The principal goal is to restore the marsh by achieving water level control so that periodic drawdowns in the marsh can take place,” Knoll said.

That will allow aquatic vegetation to take hold and control carp populations.

The project includes demolition of the existing outlet structure, construction of a new controlled spillway, construction of a marsh pump station and an outlet to Clear Lake on the northeastern shore of the marsh.

Knoll said a study showed the marsh contributed about 40 percent of the annual sediment flowing into Clear Lake. The marsh should be removing sediment and nutrients from the lake.

“The reason for that is the carp in the marsh stir up the bottom sediment and then the sediment flows into Clear Lake,” Knoll said.

In a functioning marsh system, sediment would drop out and nutrients would be used up by plants in the marsh.

In Ventura Marsh, there is very little aquatic vegetation on the eastern portion of the marsh because light cannot get to the bottom to allow plants to grow. Carp stirs  up the sediment, according to Knoll.

He said the DNR plan for the first year after the pumping station is in operation is to draw down the marsh to kill off fish and support vegetation.

Right now, the marsh can only be lowered to whatever level the lake is.

The estimated construction cost is $2.5 million, Knoll said.

It is anticipated that the DNR share of the project  will be $500,000 with the corps paying the rest.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #609 on: Dec 04, 2009, 01:54 PM »
Who knows maybe clear lake will be clear again 10 or so years from now.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #610 on: Dec 04, 2009, 02:55 PM »
Best news I've heard about that lake in a while.  How was the walleye bite this past summer?  For me, the spring of 09 was horrible compared to the spring of 08.  We caught alot of wallys in 08!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #611 on: Dec 04, 2009, 03:17 PM »
Walleye fishing was terrible this spring and summer I think theyre all caught outta there.  Gonna have to settle for them d amn yellows. >:(

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #612 on: Dec 04, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Walleye fishing was terrible this spring and summer I think theyre all caught outta there.  Gonna have to settle for them d amn yellows. >:(

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #613 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:06 PM »
I'd rather bail hay in 100 degree weather with shorts on than sit in a ice house and fish for yellows!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #614 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:16 PM »
Thinkin of catching a couple thousand and shipping em off china im sure id get something out of it then. lol

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #615 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:50 PM »
 Good fishing at the lake is right around the corner. Read on,

Clear Lake fish populations enjoy increased production

CLEAR LAKE — The forage is back. Fingerling nurseries are full. Clear Lake fish populations are returning to a healthy balance. That’s the assessment of DNR District Fisheries Biologist Scott Grummer as fisheries crews put a wrap on this year’s annual Young of the Year Fish Surveys.

The fish production survey has been conducted at Clear Lake every year since 1972 and is designed to document annual spawning success and young fish survival, said Grummer. Nighttime net crews visit seven standard locations during August and return again in September to collect and inventory fish from a dozen species.

Results are used to monitor reproductive success of all species, evaluate the annual success of walleye stockings, and aid in predicting future growth and abundance of sportfish.

“Water temperatures fluctuated wildly during the 2008 spawning season and fish production was poor,” said Grummer. “This spring we had more consistent water temps, increased clarity, and excellent growth of aquatic plant life. The result was a phenomenal spawn which resulted in more than a hundred fold increase in fish production over last year.

“Clear Lake’s yellow bass population provides a very important forage base for larger predators, like walleyes, and yellow bass are also very popular with anglers,” noted Grummer. “Yellow bass enjoyed an extremely successful production effort this spring and those young fish will play an important role in supplying recruitment as aging adults begin to leave the population.”

Other survey highlights include banner spawning success for yellow perch, bluegill, spot-tail shiner, and crappie. Production levels for each of those species reached or exceeded the long term (1972-2009) average.

Walleye survival increased by 300 percent during 2009 and now hovers slightly below the long term average. No (zero) young of the year black bullheads were observed at any of the survey stations.

“The 2009 survey results are extremely encouraging,” said Grummer. “In addition to being observed in large numbers, fingerlings from all fish species are also in excellent body condition  — very robust. Walleyes are currently measuring up to 6½ inches in length, which is as good a growth rate as anyone can expect. Perch are measuring 3 inches, and yellow bass are at 2½ inches.”

“We also saw a real surge in underwater, aquatic plant life this summer which is very important for providing food (aquatic insects) and cover for fry and fingerlings,” said Grummer.

“Survey sites harboring substantial plant beds are the locations where we surveyed the greatest numbers of young of the year yellow perch, bluegills, and largemouth bass. At areas containing no plant life, we encountered no perch, bluegill, or largemouth bass fingerlings.”

“There’s no question that it was a very successful production year at Clear Lake,” said Grummer. “Future year classes of sportfish will receive a huge benefit from this year’s hatch.”

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #616 on: Dec 04, 2009, 05:12 PM »
You can sugar cote anything.  I like the large numbers of 6 1/2 inch walleyes.  Theyre at least right on the button with that.  D amn cigars ;)

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #617 on: Dec 05, 2009, 07:49 AM »
Cerro Gordo County's Clear Lake was the destination for more than 18,000 of the Rathbun jumbos. According to north Iowa District Fisheries Biologist, Scott Grummer, the Rathbun walleyes represent the season's final installment of young game fish to Clear Lake and will supplement earlier 2009 walleye stockings which included 16 million fry, 55,000 three-inch fingerlings, and 18,000 six-inch advanced fingerlings.

The jumbos averaged 9" and were stocked in October.
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #618 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Good report Big Blue.  Perch?  No bullheads can't be a good thing, Lost Island is full of them.  Fat Walleyes instead of the "Cigars Cigarettes" 

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #619 on: Dec 05, 2009, 10:32 AM »
Little lake is about 70% iced over.  Some open holes out there.  May wanna exercise extreme caution next week.  The main lake is about 40% iced up.  Be careful fellas.

Heres a view of the main lake off farmers beach.  It's just skim right now.

Heres a shot of the little lake off Mcintosh woods ramp. 1.5 inches about 100 ft out. Less further out beings it just froze over last night. Maybe have quads out by next Sunday? We'll see :tipup:

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #620 on: Dec 05, 2009, 01:50 PM »
That's a beautiful sight

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #621 on: Dec 05, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Good report Big Blue.  Perch?  No bullheads can't be a good thing, Lost Island is full of them.  Fat Walleyes instead of the "Cigars Cigarettes" 

Yes the perch and bluegills are coming back since the water quality is improving.  I caught some nice bluegills off the ventura grade jetty this spring. Of course I'm sure you heard they dredged the little lake the last 2 years and they installed filter boxes on some of the accesses to the lake. Between that and the new project coming up on the ventura marsh we should have some quality water here in a few years. And don't forget all them zebra mussels we have in the lake also, they help improve the water clarity also. >:(  So when you pick up your portable to take it to another location make sure you hose it off so you don't transfer them mussels.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #622 on: Dec 07, 2009, 03:11 PM »
We need to wish this storm away! :tipup:

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #623 on: Dec 07, 2009, 07:05 PM »
crappy buster     you are right   hope we get to have a beer this year also     i dont know about the girls you all bring in   but fun time      any ways      keep your hook wet    lol

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #624 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:34 AM »
All this snow and wind that's coming is really going to put the kibosh on fishing for awhile.  >:(

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #625 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:48 AM »
I would say prolly a 75% chance of no one driving out this year.  And no wheelhouses out. >:(

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #626 on: Dec 09, 2009, 02:46 AM »
crappy buster     you are right   hope we get to have a beer this year also     i dont know about the girls you all bring in   but fun time      any ways      keep your hook wet    lol

Wait a sec! CB can't get know girls in the love shack! Now me on the other hand has them stacked in there from last year! LOL!

Best be bringing your own beer over :nono: and leave our bottle :%$#!:

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #627 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:57 AM »
Stick a fork in her shes done! forget about the poon 2!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #628 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:20 AM »
I'm sure glad 1 of my lakes is still open, she can cap after today.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #629 on: Dec 10, 2009, 03:34 AM »
Any ice reports on clear lake? Thinking this weekend will be a go!?

:icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.