Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431501 times)

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #540 on: Jan 31, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Unless somebody caught alot of walleyes last summer (not likely), the lake is still full of them.  We caught and released hundreds of fish in the spring of 08 that are still there.  My explanation for the lack of bite would either be the dredge machine or to much bait.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #541 on: Jan 31, 2009, 10:41 AM »
I fished by the west aerator until after dark yesterday and could only manage 1 dink walleye and 1 yellow. The DNR estimated that 12,000 eyes were harvested last year.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #542 on: Feb 01, 2009, 12:19 PM »
ill have to agree with wally linder it doesnt have anything to do with the numbers in the lake cuz we all know its full of fish its just finding them and getting them to bite.  when i fished saginaw bay a couple years ago the locals called it the dead sea.  to our suprise we ended up catching more walleyes there then i have in a long time.  maybe it was luck or just right place right time but we seen fish on the camera and most would swim in look and leave but we did catch quite a few.  what i think is wrong with clear is to much food supply and way to much pressure on the eyes usual habitat areas.  last time i was there i caught 3 nice eyes which were all released and i was in the middle of know where by my self away from the crowd.  i talked to some guys who had fished farmers and by the island and hadnt graphed any fish all day.  this is my opion and yes i know we all got our own when it comes to clear.
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #543 on: Feb 01, 2009, 01:36 PM »
im not saying there arent any eyes there,  but i am saying its nothing like it used to be.    and its pretty hard to believe anyone caught hundreds of nice walleyes last spring.  good, "photo at the bait shop" sized walleyes are what im talking about here.   no toothpicks, and none that require a tape measure.  i dont mean record fish or anything like that, just quality.  i know there are plenty of yellows,  sometimes it seems like an almost annoying amount but thats great.  i might be able to go along with the "too much pressure on usual habitat areas" but its still a numbers issue.  lets not forget that this little tourist town has, i wouldnt say doubled in size, but grown pretty close to it in the last twenty years.  i know they stock alot more fish but theres also alot more people, and we all know there was no permanant shanty town back then.  no one was selling shacks or any of that equipment yet.  so the handful of guys who were out were making their own.  also there was never fifty boats cramed into a 100 square foot area north of the island every afternoon in the summer.  i cant believe the cops havent been involved when someone slams a huge casting spoon into the side of another guys boat that thinks its ok to troll within 10 yards of everyone else.  i wouldnt go that far, but ive seen it happen.

does anyone know if theyre going to be done dredging after this year, or will it go into next summer?

Offline coketeck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #544 on: Feb 01, 2009, 04:53 PM »
Fishing has been good on Farmers but as others have said get on where no one else is and you will have even better fishing. And thanks to the small pickup that drove over my tip up last night. Didnt care for the way it set up anyway.

Offline goosehntr_69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #545 on: Feb 01, 2009, 10:21 PM »
Dredging will continue into next summer. 

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #546 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:49 AM »
I agree with uber and coke. Clear lake had a real good year class that got hit hard... real hard! Yes, i do think that year class got fished out. It will be many years before we see that kind of fishing again. Fishing for the eyes this winter is a waist of time :(

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #547 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:19 PM »
I agree the walleye fishing has been slow this winter. I think the fish are their you just have to find them. I'd say that the folks fishing out of a permanent shack are way less likely to catch fish then someone that is out drilling lots of holes in different areas looking for active fish.

I know on open water I'm moving to find fish willing to bite and I believe the same holds true for hard water fishing.

I also agree that a couple years ago their were a ton of 17-20 inch walleyes taken from the lake. I'm sure this has affected to fishing were seeing at Clear now.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #548 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:51 AM »
i have talked to everone i can in drop downs and portables.... same story. Yellows and Few small eyes!?

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #549 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:51 AM »
I fished by the west aerator until after dark yesterday and could only manage 1 dink walleye and 1 yellow. The DNR estimated that 12,000 eyes were harvested last year.
I believe that is the DNR's estimate of eyes harvested but I also believe that they have WAY underestimated that quantity...  just my opinion...

Offline walleyekelly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #550 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:03 PM »
It would have helped clear lake if they had introduced a new slot size last year like the Iowa Great Lakes did a few years back. Sure you get stuck throwing some nice eaters back but the fishing remains good. Just a thought.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #551 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:50 PM »
Agree Walleyekelly!

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #552 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:41 PM »
The yellows were hitting good on farmers tonite. I iced 14 in about an hour at sunset. Didn't even use the tent, it was really nice sitting out.  Oh yeah, I also caught one dink walleye.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #553 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:34 PM »
Caught 75 yellows and 2-15' walleyes this afternoon. Glad the boys old enough to clean'em.

The walleye were very fat. Have caught 6 keepers in the last 3days. the warm spell this weekend should only improve the eye fishing.

Stay away from crowds. The water is very clear the fish are sensitive to noise.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #554 on: Feb 05, 2009, 10:51 PM »
U lucky dog u! u got the last 3 in the lake. thanks for the report. i am going to be hitting up the west side this weekend.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #555 on: Feb 06, 2009, 08:56 AM »
I had to finally post cause these are the only keeper walleyes I have caught this year.

I agree the balance of the walleye population has swung to the unfavorable side. Hope the DNR takes this down cycle and puts 17 to 22 slot into effect. I just hate seeing 19 & 20 inchers being cut! I personally keep only walleyes under 18", I know it's a persons right to keep those bigger fish. I have been in that arguement before, just my opinion ( even though I'm right)!!

Thanks for all the great info on this site.

Going out again tonight. Taking the kids out, should be a fun night.

Good Luck All

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #556 on: Feb 06, 2009, 06:00 PM »
Shantytown whats  your buddy crappiebuster been up to? I haven't seen any of his posts here lately.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #557 on: Feb 06, 2009, 07:59 PM »
went out again tonite with the kids....caught 40 tonite.....no walleyes though.....been fishin in 12 feet water in the west end....usin buck shot rattle spoons.....hope this helps everybody catch fish....good luck   ;)

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #558 on: Feb 06, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Are you getting the yellows all afternoon, or just the last half hour of light?

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #559 on: Feb 06, 2009, 10:14 PM »
caught about 45 between 2 of us. 1 dink walleye 12". using some minnow to catch the yellows. alot on just the head.  good luck. grizz

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #560 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:02 AM »
the other day we caught them all the way from noon to dark.

Offline coketeck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #561 on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:02 PM »
Wow a great weekend on the ice. Plenty of yellows for the table. Thanks again luckydog it was good getting out on the ice with you. Drive safe this week.

Offline junior71991

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #562 on: Feb 09, 2009, 02:40 PM »
The fishing for yellows hasn't been too bad but all the walleyes I've caught this year have been under the length limit. Moved the shack last week.
Common Sense......Ain't That Common Anymore!

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #563 on: Feb 09, 2009, 04:07 PM »
I fished CL yesterday from 3 to 7 NOT A BITE!!  First time I've ever been to clear with out a bite, but we tried Hy Vee reef for eyes didn't catch a darn thing
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #564 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Are the yellow bass worth eating or just fun catching.  Have drained a couple of lakes down around creston and other places because they had to many yellow's in their.  Was wondering why they are such a popular fish around that area.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #565 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Are the yellow bass worth eating or just fun catching.  Have drained a couple of lakes down around creston and other places because they had to many yellow's in their.  Was wondering why they are such a popular fish around that area.

They are really fun to catch, and aside from walleyes, Id rather eat yellows than any other fish.  They make great table fare, and the yellows at Clear Lake are different from other lakes, in the fact that they get pretty big.  The yellows range from 8-12 inches on Clear, with a good share of them being in the 11 inch range, which makes a good fight and a great fillet.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #566 on: Feb 10, 2009, 04:20 PM »
I agree with Nick.  Great eating.  I was apprehensive when I first tried but pleasantly suprised.  They are right up there with Crappie in my book. Walleye, of coarse, #1.  No fishy smell or taste at all.  Also, they fillet out real nice.  An 8" fish will still get you a decent fillet, and all in one piece I might add. No problems with bones.  May want to take the red strip out though as with many fish (bass family), especially if going to freeze. I would classify them as more of a panfish than bass, though. They are also a thicker fillet than a gill. They are real fun to catch & better than a gill & they do run a nice size at Clear L with a great number of eating size. I don't think I caught one under 8" all year.

Hooked on yellers!!!!!

Offline coldfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Do you like my lighted doorbell button?
« Reply #567 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Pulled our shack off today. the ice has gone to he//. Reflections off of houses on N. shore has opened up some huge holes. We used the quad today to pull the shack off. Not enough sack to take the truck out.

Last night the water from on top of the ice was running in our holes so fast they looked like a toilet flushing. The holes were 5" across last night and 16" across today. Perm shacks have made a mass exedous.
Be careful out there everybody.

CESAR

FISHIN TILL THE BOTTOM DROPS OUT!

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #568 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:26 PM »
Pulled our shack off today. the ice has gone to he//. Reflections off of houses on N. shore has opened up some huge holes. We used the quad today to pull the shack off. Not enough sack to take the truck out.

Last night the water from on top of the ice was running in our holes so fast they looked like a toilet flushing. The holes were 5" across last night and 16" across today. Perm shacks have made a mass exedous.
Be careful out there everybody.

CESAR

Not good, Clear Lake was my last hope.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #569 on: Feb 10, 2009, 07:01 PM »
I drove down to farmers this morning and the water was running in to the lake like a river. Still a few shacks out there, I counted about 20 , some guys was pulling there shacks off as I was sitting there. The ice is turning to mush. There is no water on top. My advice is to not go on, if you do stay away from the aerators as the ice around them gets thin pretty fast in this warm windy weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.