The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flasher/Fish Finder  (Read 9094 times)

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flasher/Fish Finder
« Reply #30 on: Jan 24, 2018, 06:12 PM »
I went with the Garmin Striker DV5 with ice transducer.  One more week and I'll be able to bust it out.

Hutch, not sure if you're still keeping up with this thread or not, but I was curious what you thought about the Garmin/iceducer combo?  I bought a Garmin Striker 4 for use on my canoe last spring while Cabela's had it on sale, but rigged a setup so I could use it through the ice as well.  It works, but it's cumbersome, so I broke down and ordered the iceducer and am currently waiting on it to arrive.  I'm hoping you love it, as I'd hate to think that I could have spent a couple hundred more for a flasher.

Offline Hutchmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2018, 10:41 PM »
RuralMT I ended up going with the Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle after finding it on Amazon for $50 off MSRP and can say I haven't been happier with the purchase.  While I never had the standard boat transducer, I have had zero problems with the iceducer you can get for the unit.  I'm more of a graph guy anyways and have not experienced any type of lag or issues picking up small perch jigs with the iceducer in 50+fow.  I  can actually pick up the spikes hanging off my jigs when hunting for perch.   I've also used it with buddies who have had the gamut of flashers (Marcum, Humminbird, Vexilar) and the one thing I've found is I don't have any issues canceling out the noise from their units.  I've also kept competitive with these guys on fish through the ice.  I'm not sure about the Striker 4, but if it has the chirp sonar paired up with the iceducer I don't see how you can't be happy with it.  I would recommend this to anyone and have been extremely impressed with Garmin. 

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2018, 12:04 PM »
Not to revive an old thread, but I wanted to add my $.02 on the offchance that anyone else is considering going the Garmin route instead of an actual flasher.  I finally got my iceducer for my Garmin Striker 4 and I absolutely love the setup!  I personally prefer using a graph over a flasher and the iceducer performs spectacularly.  It's easy to spot my jig on bottom while fishing over 70' of water and is extremely easy to setup and use.  It's the best $80 I've spent for fishing and together with the unit itself, only cost me around $250.  Plus, I have the added bonus of being able to mount it on my canoe and use it on open water.  I highly recommend this setup!

Offline Perch-Eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Have you used the flasher much ? Does it have a bottom lock so you ca watch the bottom 6 feet like the Vexilar ?

Ken..........

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Have you used the flasher much ? Does it have a bottom lock so you ca watch the bottom 6 feet like the Vexilar ?

I've only tried the flasher mode once and it was before I really understood how to read one so I quickly gave up on it.  I'm going out the next few evenings and this weekend though and will give it a shot.  I'll give it a shot and post what I think about it.

Offline madfrog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2018, 07:36 PM »
I have the Garmin Striker 4 portable bundle and I can't be happier. I don't have any problem with the transducer that comes with it. It does everything I expect it to do. I assume the Striker 5 is even better with the bigger screen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.