New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1024799 times)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #990 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Ice Vader some of us know exactly what they were and what was the out come , that’s why I didn’t pursue it

Offline icevader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #991 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:54 PM »
Those days are gone anyhow...I think...

Offline icevader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #992 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:58 PM »
These days the sink trap goes by a different name...Jigging Rap...;)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #993 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:01 PM »
Those days are gone anyhow...I think...

yeah now we have sonars  :roflmao:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #994 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Now that’s not true I catch a lot of eyes on raps and spoons and they aren’t snagged and I use several types of spoons I don’t snag with them either if that was the case  I wouldnt carry a 12# tackle bag just for ice fishing , duh

Offline icevader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #995 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Oh sorry...was not implying that you snag...just defining what was a “sink trap” ... the actual definition of what was used by fishermen in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and...in some places on Oneida...today...Inter esting thing is that I remember when the first eagle portables showed up on the ice...in the early 80’s...wow...guys took them off their boats...brought them to Lewis Point...and oh man...all those suspended fish suddenly became targets and filled buckets...before that it was bounce, bounce, bounce and wiggle and wait...a foot of the bottom.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #996 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:16 PM »
Well ?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #997 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:19 PM »
Oh sorry...was not implying that you snag...just defining what was a “sink trap” ... the actual definition of what was used by fishermen in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s and...in some places on Oneida...today...Inter esting thing is that I remember when the first eagle portables showed up on the ice...in the early 80’s...wow...guys took them off their boats...brought them to Lewis Point...and oh man...all those suspended fish suddenly became targets and filled buckets...before that it was bounce, bounce, bounce and wiggle and wait...a foot of the bottom.

there was flashers  un the late 60's that I know of ....not colored like today

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #998 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:37 PM »
my dad had one ran off two 6 volt square  lantern batterys .....

Offline icevader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #999 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Yah...I remeber those...the small eagle graphs that were mounted on coolers or whatever...and hooked to twelve volt worked pretty well...in fact still do...I grew up with graph..so never made the switch to...vex...stuck on lowrance...I don’t see the difference except in shallow water perhaps...

Offline yankmyline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1000 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:01 PM »
I remember the old Lowrance Green Machine and the Hummingbird Bird Trap which I still have one.

Offline icevader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1001 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Yah...I rely on Lowrance elite x and raymarine dragonfly units that I set up as portable...I am stuck on LCD graph...just never made the switch...cost is a factor too...tried to outfit my Elite 7TI to the ice...but does not work with bad ground for touch screen and a scrolling speed issue...I am interested in the hummingbird units that present a stationary cone...no scrolling...might get one...

Offline icevader

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1002 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:18 PM »
For the price...the Garnin Steuker and lowrance elite x are very adequate

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1003 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:33 PM »
What the hell is sink trap you guys speak of??? Will they work on mud monsters and sluggish fish??? What’s the hot color....? Gold or chrome???? 🤔
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline taildancer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish-o-haulic
« Reply #1004 on: Feb 05, 2018, 08:39 PM »
.  I just got off the ice. Seemed like anywhere from 2-8 inches or so of snow on the ice.  Great for sleds, prob not horrible for wheelers, tough for dragging on foot. Found some biters. It’ll get interesting after Wed. Forecast calling for 6+ of additional snow

[/quote
Thanks fishshack

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1005 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:13 AM »
I was on a school of walleye probably 20 years ago off North Bay and a couple guys rolled up on me on wheelers and watched me catch one. They power augered holes about 20ft from me and dropped one of those kitchen sink spoons down the hole and started ripping it from the hole to about a foot over their head using a rod that was 3 or 4ft long and started snagging the crap out of eyes. Everything came up sideways.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1006 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Sounds like some real sportsmen Matt.

Offline bigdub22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1007 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:27 AM »
I saw pics of someones catch a bunch of years back.  Maybe 6 years or so.The device and a  wooden sled that looked like it had 100 eyes in it. They still poach them like that.  Device was just as vader described it. They used a rope though i think.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1008 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:13 AM »
These days Speed dial is a wonderful thing ,

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1009 on: Feb 06, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Now that’s not true I catch a lot of eyes on raps and spoons and they aren’t snagged and I use several types of spoons I don’t snag with them either if that was the case  I wouldnt carry a 12# tackle bag just for ice fishing , duh
No snagging here either. 5/8 ounce blades get bit really often if you know what line and method to use. Had a great rap bite last week where they were inhaling it on the drop. slack line= set hook

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1010 on: Feb 06, 2018, 02:53 PM »
If I see any law being broken on ice or open water... I won’t hesitate to make a call. Be real careful who your moving in on, and, attempt to break the law!!!  End of story!!!
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1011 on: Feb 06, 2018, 04:27 PM »
We are coming up for the weekend Friday, 2.5 hours away ,what amount of snow they calling for there to be on ice by Friday,?
Thx

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1012 on: Feb 06, 2018, 05:58 PM »
We are coming up for the weekend Friday, 2.5 hours away ,what amount of snow they calling for there to be on ice by Friday,?
Thx

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 10 PM EST WEDNESDAY... * WHAT...HEAVY SNOW. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 8 INCHES, WITH LOCALIZED AMOUNTS UP TO 10 INCHES, ARE EXPECTED.

Lake Effect after that. Already 2" to  6" on lake where I was today. Could all blow away by Friday. Hope not, seen enough winds lately.  ??? ???

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:

Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline swampking89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishin rules!!!
« Reply #1013 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:36 PM »
I remember when I was about 15 or so,my brother and I made some spoons out some actual forks that my mom was going to throw away.cut off the fork,drilled holes on both ends,attached hooks with o rings and off we went.my dad dropped us off at borio's,walked out east of the islands,spuded two holes,and started jigging.no bait.we caught about 20 nice slab perch and 3 keeper waldos between us.our dad met us at sundown and was so happy that we slammed on lures we made!! Best day ever!!

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1014 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:45 PM »
thx zeker,greatly appreciate info

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1015 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:24 PM »
Got out after work for the evening bite. Fished from 4-5:30. 3-6 inches of snow on top of 15 inches of ice where I was. Decided to try a bit shallower than I normally fish so I drilled over 20 fow. I like fishing a little shallower near structure before approaching storms. Started marking fish immediately but had trouble getting them to commit. Took the bait off my jigging rap and it was game on. Ended up going 7 for 10 on eyes. Two of the fish I landed were shorts and the other 5 were keepers. It was nice to get on em as I’ve been a slave to my job lately lol. That was my first trip out in 2 weeks. Should have my sled back soon so I can get out after this snow we are supposed to get.

NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1016 on: Feb 06, 2018, 10:34 PM »

Good job Bobby

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #1017 on: Feb 07, 2018, 04:49 AM »
Nice job, Dead!! :thumbsup: