The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Heater Question  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
Heater Question
« on: Dec 01, 2010, 02:38 PM »
So my ice fishing heater runs through those 1 lbs bottles in under 1 to 1 1/2 hours on low (it's the MR. Heater that is made for the small bottles) . Does anyone else think that it really fast especially on low and if it is i want to know of other heaters that last longer and work well in super cold weather

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Heater Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2010, 02:40 PM »
you should buy the adapter that will allow you to use the 5lb bottles
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2010, 03:08 PM »
I own two buddy heaters that I use the 1lb bottles,  inside my Otter Medium cabin which stays with the sled. On low I will get 4 hours without turning the unit off. The one I use for hunting inside box blinds with windows open I get only get 1-1/2 hours of time. Not sure if it is because one setup is closed with no wind and the other is exposed to the elements. It is deer hunting season in pa,opened Monday and I just had the heater in the box blind, went through a bottle within the 1.5hrs went back to truck and took out the 20lb tank. No problems now sat remainder of day.
Ron

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2010, 03:26 PM »
yeah save the enviroment and get a hose and 5lb tank. seriously though just get a tank.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2010, 05:42 PM »
I personally have found that the Mr. Buddy brand of heaters are garbage. I had two of them going in my shack on a windy day on Canyon Ferry (imagine that, wind on CF) and they were not keeping it warm at all, and burning through the propane at about 1-1 1/2 per hour. I went to the marina at the silos, and they had a heater on sale from last year for 79 bucks, a Lil Pup brand, made in Cleveland (but hey its still the U.S.!!) and it was able to heat my shack alone in the wind, on low, and 1 bottle lasted 3 hours on high!!! I couldn't believe it. I think more money is spent on advertising and marketing for the Mr. Buddy company, all their stuff is kind of flashy, and they don't focus on using high quality parts. Basicly they are made by10,000 8 year olds in China, in huge factory. My suggestion would be to look into a better heater. I know it sounds crazy, I never would have believed it had i not been catching a bunch of perch and freezing my butt of, so i had to get a new heater at that moment. Otherwise I am too cheap, lol. On another note, i probalbly saved as much money in propane in the last 2 years as i would have spent on the heater. My other two Mr. buddies were 129 bucks a piece, and just plane out crap. I don't even bring them in my sled anymore, just more weight to pull around.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2010, 07:57 PM »
I personally have found that the Mr. Buddy brand of heaters are garbage. I had two of them going in my shack on a windy day on Canyon Ferry (imagine that, wind on CF) and they were not keeping it warm at all, and burning through the propane at about 1-1 1/2 per hour. I went to the marina at the silos, and they had a heater on sale from last year for 79 bucks, a Lil Pup brand, made in Cleveland (but hey its still the U.S.!!) and it was able to heat my shack alone in the wind, on low, and 1 bottle lasted 3 hours on high!!! I couldn't believe it. I think more money is spent on advertising and marketing for the Mr. Buddy company, all their stuff is kind of flashy, and they don't focus on using high quality parts. Basicly they are made by10,000 8 year olds in China, in huge factory. My suggestion would be to look into a better heater. I know it sounds crazy, I never would have believed it had i not been catching a bunch of perch and freezing my butt of, so i had to get a new heater at that moment. Otherwise I am too cheap, lol. On another note, i probalbly saved as much money in propane in the last 2 years as i would have spent on the heater. My other two Mr. buddies were 129 bucks a piece, and just plane out crap. I don't even bring them in my sled anymore, just more weight to pull around.

Did a quick search but couldn't find anything by that name?

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:01 PM »
Did a quick search but couldn't find anything by that name?

Me too.
Ron

Offline DieHardIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:07 PM »
sounds like a plan...The 1lbs bottles suck to use anyway...ill switch the heater setup but i was also thinking of running a lantern in the shack bc they last forever and can put out some decent heat...we'll see how that works
You gotta watch those lanterns I almost killed myself with one acouple years back. Make sure you have a couple vents open they put to CO out.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2010, 08:14 PM »
had a lil pup heater myself was great till i lost it or  ::) i think somebody stole it  ???
made by Paulin

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Don't know if this helps in your decision making at all but here goes.  I have one of those Mr. heaters that goes on the propane tanks like you would use on a barbeque....  I shot a little buck on Thanksgiving and over the couple days after I was cutting it up in my garage.  I took a little break which turned into me forgetting about it until the next morning.  Long story short with a full tank running on low it ran for about 18-20 hours and I am still using it.  I only filled it once for all of last season.  I used it my quick flip 2 man and rarely had it on for long periods of time without shutting it off because it got really warm.  Its a bit heavy to carry around on a full tank I will admit, but its warm as you could want.  
(For anyone wondering I did not spoil any of the meat on the deer as my garage is flippin cold and I use it mostly to warm my hands and the warm air feels good when your working.  That thing heats a shanty nicely but is hardly enough to heat an entire garage.)
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:44 PM »
i have a heater that you attach the 1 lb bottles to that stands up like a heater or lays down and you can cook on it.  it has worked well. 

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:53 PM »
my heater is a dynaglo shaped like a mr heater and i can get 3-5 hrs on a small bottle
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Im not sure what the difference is but I got a tuff buddy... looks like a buddy heater but it is yellow instead of red. usually runs 4-5 hrs on low, 1-2 hrs on high.  usually that is enough but if it is really cold and we have the 6x12 shack out I will bring out the sunflower... just need to be careful about ventilation.  I wish I had the old wood ice house with a little wood stove, that littl bugger would get toasty.
l

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2010, 06:29 PM »
I have several little buddy heaters and have had good luck with them for many years. 

Regarding the adapter for the larger bottles, I recommend the 5 foot hose.  I've heard and seen problems with the 12 foot hose.  Seems the heaters have problems staying lit when it gets frigid.  Haven't had that problem with the 5 foot hose.  This is also plenty of length to leave the 20 lb bottle outside and run the heater inside.

I second the push for getting away from those 1 lb bottles.  Environmentally unsound to use a bottle for a few hours and then have it in the landfill forever.  I hear of people refilling them, but I don't like to mess with flammable vapors myself.

Also, those 5 lb bottles are pricey.  For some reason they are about 3 times the price of a 20 lb bottle.  Very handy on the ice though.

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2010, 09:15 PM »
My lil pup is a Paulin brand, thank you... i couldn't remeber the manufact. I am glad that there are so many people that like their Mr. Buddies, now i know how they stay in business, they do have happy customers after all. Maybe i just got unlucky and got two dad ones... I don't know, but i am warm and happy now when i fish, and i hope that for the rest of you too.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2010, 06:58 PM »
I have a Lil Buddy Heater that has given me no problems.  I am thinking of getting a 5lb tank and hose just so I don't have to switch out bottles so much anymore.  A 1lb tank is supposed to last around 4 hours whether it is on a heater, single burner stove or lantern.  If you're refilling them they'll last about 3.

Offline Smeltkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:01 PM »
Do you put your 1lb cylinders in the freezer for a day before filling them?

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Do you put your 1lb cylinders in the freezer for a day before filling them?
It's 1 degree F outside so I guess you could say they are chilled.  Bring the 20lb tank or whatever you are using inside for a bit.

Offline Smeltkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:13 PM »
No idea then. My filled 1lbers don't last as long as a new one but it doesn't bother me as I know I am saving alot.

Offline etsice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2010, 07:52 PM »
I have a Big Buddy "Mr Heater" and it will burn 4 hours on high using 2-1 lb bottles. I am happy with it, keeps my two man warm. I was disappointed knowing that other heaters could be turned 90 degrees and used as a cook stove, sooooooo i got inovative and cut up an old grill and now it is a permanant fixture to my heater. Just wide enough for a coffee pot or a small skillet...can cook most anything on that. Anyone interested I can post some pictures if you would lilke.

Montana...the first and last place I'll call home!!!

Offline Smeltkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Ha Ha

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2010, 03:42 PM »
If you boil over on top of your lil buddy you'll probably do some damage to the ceramic burner.  Not to mention any food junk that could clog it up.

Offline Wapiti Warrior

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:05 PM »
http://paulinproducts.com/outdoor_heaters/heater_cooker_3500-ez.htm

This is what I have and have used it for years. I actually installed it in my old pop up camper (removed the old heater) and used the camper elk hunting in -20 weather. We sat in there and played cards, was very comfortable.

John

Offline Smeltkiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2010, 05:15 PM »
If you boil over on top of your lil buddy you'll probably do some damage to the ceramic burner.  Not to mention any food junk that could clog it up.
Tin foil gaurds while cooking does wonders.

Offline shantybum

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy fishy fishy
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2010, 05:17 PM »
Anyone ever use the old alcohol type heaters with the wick? I think some are called marine heaters. I read somewhere that you have to use special alcohol for them or you get soot. That doesn't make much sense to me as I thought alcohol was supposed to be a clean burning fuel. I just wondered if any of you guys have personal experience with these types of heaters. Thanks.
The truth is considered hate only to those who hate the truth.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.