The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Rod Holder  (Read 3436 times)

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rod Holder
« on: Mar 10, 2009, 11:31 AM »
Wondering if anyone uses a rod holder that prevents rod and holder from going down the hole? I did lose a rod at Clark Canyon this year while I was fighting a fish on other rod. Have searched some but did not come up with anything.

Thanks

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Re: Rod Holder
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2009, 12:15 PM »
Wondering if anyone uses a rod holder that prevents rod and holder from going down the hole? I did lose a rod at Clark Canyon this year while I was fighting a fish on other rod. Have searched some but did not come up with anything.

Thanks

You searched for the missing pole, or for a pole holder.  ;D ;D 
I also would love some good ideas.  I've thought about different PVC setups, but haven't come up with any good ideas.  I need something that packs down tight, something that holds a rod well (prevents it from going down the hole), and something that can let the pole go quick when I get a bite and I want to grab the pole and set the hook. I've got a few ideas wirling around in the brain, but haven't built it yet. 
Zimm, if you find a good one, I want in too.  ;D ;D

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2009, 12:25 PM »

Atach your rod holder to a 5gl. bucket lid , then put the slush from your hole on the lid..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline MasterPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2009, 01:02 PM »
I put some together real quick with a wire feed, scrap metal, and some metal pipe. I'll post some pics later

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2009, 04:39 PM »
I bought a couple at the Silos Bait shop on Canyon Ferry.  I think they were called something like the legendary Dickey rod holder.  I did an internet search that produced nothing so that name might be wrong but if you ever make it by there they do sell them.  I'll take a picture when I get home and post it so you can get the general idea.

Offline EyesHaveIt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2009, 05:10 PM »
YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE "ROD SAVER"  MADE BY DICKY.  CALL RICH AT RICHES TACKLE IN THREE FORKS.  HE HAS SOME. 406 285 4540

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2009, 09:12 PM »
I attach 10' of rope to the pole and a ice screw. Screws came with my pop up, so I always carry them anyways.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2009, 09:59 PM »
I searched for Dicky Rod Saver on Yahoo and it brought to this link.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=61390.0

Looks interesting to me. I will call Richie..

Thanks Again

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2009, 11:54 PM »
i have one that i made out of a broken wrench and sheetmetal from a comibine. it freezes to the ice pretty quickly and doesn't get pulled in

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2009, 10:25 AM »
I searched for Dicky Rod Saver on Yahoo and it brought to this link.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=61390.0

Looks interesting to me. I will call Richie..

Thanks Again
I have used those rod holders before and they work great found them at shiptons

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Called Riches and he has some. So will stop in Saturday on  my way to Bozeman and get a couple. He told me the guy that use to make them is no longer with us but his son started making them again but they are still a little hard to get.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:56 PM »
Sounds like my type of rod holder Andercee!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2009, 02:13 PM »
I've used those quite a bit in the past, and have a few.  Haven't used them in a few years.  mainly because they are old now, and the springs are all wore out, they don't work like they used to.  Would probably be worth getting some new ones I guess.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline MasterPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2009, 03:49 PM »

It sticks inthe slush real good and seems like it would hold my pole plenty tight as long as the drag isnt too tight. But just in case i drilled a hole in the back to stick a nail in the ice if I'm expecting a hog.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 12, 2009, 11:21 AM »
My neighbor is getting a little older and he gave me his old rods.  I usually give him some of my perch fillets and since he won't go icefishing anymore he gave is rods to me.  Anyway, in the stash he had some real old rods and those dickeys rod savers.  I really didn't think they would work but we unintentionally tested them yesterday.  I set the one rod yesterday and went back to another to start jigging.  When I looked up all I saw was the handle sticking out of the hole.  The frickin things work thats all I can say.  I grabbed the handle got up the fish and was delighted not to have lost my neighbors antique ice rod.  Six of them easily fit in the side pocket of my rod bag and would hardly take up any more space in a bucket already filled with rods.  I don't know but gotta believe they are cheeper than a rod and to know it will stop on from going down makes them worth every penny.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2009, 12:38 PM »
My neighbor is getting a little older and he gave me his old rods.  I usually give him some of my perch fillets and since he won't go icefishing anymore he gave is rods to me.  Anyway, in the stash he had some real old rods and those dickeys rod savers.  I really didn't think they would work but we unintentionally tested them yesterday.  I set the one rod yesterday and went back to another to start jigging.  When I looked up all I saw was the handle sticking out of the hole.  The frickin things work thats all I can say.  I grabbed the handle got up the fish and was delighted not to have lost my neighbors antique ice rod.  Six of them easily fit in the side pocket of my rod bag and would hardly take up any more space in a bucket already filled with rods.  I don't know but gotta believe they are cheeper than a rod and to know it will stop on from going down makes them worth every penny.

PERFECT, that is the report I wanted. THEY WORK!!!
Thanks, will be on GTown Sunday

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:00 PM »
I will tell you what I'm running next season...A deal called "The Guardian" by ice fishing accessories made in ND....the reel an Okuma EB20 baitfeeder...expensive but tested out like a dream come true..takes all the angling error out of it though...fish don't drop the bait I can watch the spool spin as baitfeeder drag lets line out with perfection...rod stays put...no more running I quietly walk over..don't even have to take rod out of Guardian..pick it up an either reel or flip the lever and reel it switches over to front fighting drag smooth as silk...no fear of anything going through hole..nothing...check it out The Epixoreb20 and the guardian...as much as I love my traps...unless they are far away where I need to see a flag...they might be obsolete...Save you pennies guys! Next season I hope for 6 setups on canyon Ferry!
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Stopped by Riches Tackle in Three forks on my way to Bozeman and picked up some Rod Savers, $4.50 each. Sure cheaper than loosing another rod and reel down the hole. Surprised at how much ice fishing tackle he has. Worth the stop is you are going by there. Just a little shop behind his house but has alot of tackle.

Thanks EyesHaveIt for pointing me that direction. He sure was curious how I found out he had them. I told him it was though a guy on Shanty but he did not know anything about Shanty. I said must have been a customer of his that told me. Do you stop there? If so tell him it was you and Shanty!! :)

Zim

Offline EyesHaveIt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2009, 12:00 AM »
I STOP IN AT RICH'S WHEN I HAVE TIME.  HE IS A GREAT GUY AND LOVES TO TALK FISHING.  HE CAN GET ABOUT ANYTHING THAT YOU MIGHT WANT.  EVEN THE HARD TO FIND OR FORGOTTEN BUT GOODIES.  HE WILL EVEN SPECIAL MAKE JIGS, LURES, SPINNNERS.  GOT AN IDEA?  RUN IT BY RICH AND HE MIGHT JUST BE ABLE TO GET ER DONE! 

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Could I get directions or address to Riches please. Thanks, icejigs.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Could I get directions or address to Riches please. Thanks, icejigs.
I am not sure of address but google this and it will get you close, marked good once you get close with signs for tackle shop
250 Old Town Rd, Three Forks (Gallatin County), MT 59752-8616, United States

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.