Author Topic: Is the CHIRP advantage real?  (Read 755 times)

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Is the CHIRP advantage real?
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Looking to upgrade electronics for next year and it seems like so many units of the various manufacturers have the CHIRP capability. On water of less than 40-50 feet of depth, what does it really gain us? Does it help in weeds? Soft bottoms? Hard bottoms? Do you turn it on and off for certain conditions and what might those conditions be? What is the board's opinion, now that it has been out a few years?

I've read back on this board looking for conversations about it but don't find many defined observations about it.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Is the CHIRP advantage real?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 07:18 PM »
Seems like it might be, hard to find much info on it, I'm looking at a Garmin striker 4 for my son, seems like a decent unit.

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Is the CHIRP advantage real?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:49 PM »
It helps with target separation. The multiple frequencies give you a more clear image. I have a HELIX 7 Gen1 (non-CHIRP) and a HELIX 7 G2N (CHIRP) ice units and the target separation is very noticeable. The Gen1 is now used as just a GPS on my snowmobile.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.