Author Topic: Lake trout rod size  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Hossin603

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake trout rod size
« on: Oct 18, 2022, 08:34 PM »
I am thinking about getting a new jigging rod. I got my 1st one 2 seasons ago and I love it. I have a 25"ul which is great for crappie and perch. For lake trout and bass should I go 28" medium or 36" medium heavy?

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake trout rod size
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2022, 07:56 AM »
For bass you can get buy with the medium action.  The length depends on what and where you fish - if you are inside a shack, you may be limited in length for hook setting. Outside, you can use as long as a rod as you are comfortable with. 

The lake trout rod you are going to want a heavier action rod, and I would suggest going to a lot longer rod length.  You could be in the 36" to 48".  The length allows the rod to bend further down in the backbone.  You are going to get a lot of head shakes, and you want the rod to take up those. 

There are alot of good rod manufacturers out there - 2B/Elliott rods, Clam Jason Mitchell Mackinaw rod, TUCR, St Croix to give you an idea of what you are looking for.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2022, 07:28 AM »
36" is fine, no issues landing lakers to 17-18lbs on one.  Any longer and uf you are using a flipover youll be hitting the front of the flip every hookset.  Not ideal.

Offline Hossin603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2022, 10:52 AM »
Awesome thanks for the info. I am going with the 36".

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2022, 10:16 AM »
Awesome thanks for the info. I am going with the 36".

Very cool.  You dont need to spend a pile either, my favorite 36" is a cabelas prodigy and I think it was 40 bucks!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2022, 06:00 PM »
You’ve probably picked up a rod by now, but I’m a big fan of the 36”MH Clam Dave Genz Split Handle Series Ice Rod
Tight Lines!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2022, 07:02 PM »
You’ve probably picked up a rod by now, but I’m a big fan of the 36”MH Clam Dave Genz Split Handle Series Ice Rod

I recently ordered the 40H and 34H and they were on the porch today when I got home.  I'm a sucker for rods but these were pretty reasonable and the build seems good.  I'm a fan of the split handle.  We'll see.  Hoping to find something that can handle a few of the larger Kamooki's I've picked up over the last couple of years.  Hook sets in 90' have been tough in a hub but really tough in the flip with the bigger baits.

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2022, 08:38 AM »
I picked up the Frostbite drama queen rod (45 inch MH) and have to say its pretty ideal for lakers. Still loads up good on the smaller/average ones but handles a big one fine. I got a heavy action too but I think thats kinda overkill for NH. I do use it to target the bigger fish though...giant suckers on a circle hook and a clicker reel.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.