Author Topic: Where would you look for crappie here?  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where would you look for crappie here?
« on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:06 PM »
http://gf.nd.gov/gnf/maps/fishing/lakecontours/trenton2004.pdf

Where would you fish here there is little to no "structure" some flooded willows northeast but never had luck. I have picked up a few here and there and know people who nail them in the winter but don't know where they fish.

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where would you look for crappie here?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:46 PM »
If I'm reading the map right, I'd say the deepest part of the lake, since it's only about 9 or 10 feet. I usually target 15-30 feet of water under the ice around here.

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Yeah this lake is kind of a tough one. I'll try the deepest part next time. There are tons of northern though so if no luck on crappie itll be a northern day!!  There a few walleye too. Hmm....

Offline tjkpopup

• IceShanty Rookie
  • TjK
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:53 PM »
id say try to find weeds, rock piles, i do good in shallows for crappies around here but they like weeds and such obstacles....

but to the right side of the shallow spot by the #7 in the deeper water, if you dont know where weeds etc are...

drill lots of holes, bounce around...  if you have a cam or flasher u should be able to find something
Ice Fishin Computer Tech

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:31 PM »
I just ordered a marcum lx5 that I'm waiting to get in the mail but I'm gonna bring that on my next outing there. The big issue with this lake is there's no structure other than some contours. And mud haha. I might have a lot better luck locating them with the lx5 though. And if i fall in all i gotta do is stand up!! There's some GIANT slabs in there too so I'm definitely on the hunt.

Offline Duck-Slayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2013, 01:41 PM »
I got alot of relatives that live in Trenton.... crazy how busy and expensive it is back there.... don't miss the weather thou...
Matt
Duck-Slayers new nickname is "DUD-switch".  Just for the record......  BITE ME

TEAM SPUDSICKLE..... 
2012 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2012 Cascade Ice Cup Derby winner - Perch
2013 Hard Water Classic winner - Perch
2013 Ice Shanty winner - Perch
2014 Hard Water Classic 2nd - Perch

Offline rswope2004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:01 PM »
i would agree the deepest part.  I would pound those points north and south east of the deepest mark indicator.

Offline slushbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2013, 02:13 AM »
Also agree on those deeper spots.  Looks like you have a steep drop that falls into 7-8 fow up there on the north inside shore.  Drill a line of holes from the drop out into the 8 fow area.  Just before daylight try that drop and as the sun comes up move on out.  That lx-5 will help but remember to use the 8 degree cone up near the drop, the wide cone will jack with you due to the drop unless its more on a ledge.

The fry like to hold near that ledge if its rocky to hide and the crappie will get in there and feed.  Not knowing more about the bottom this just my 2 cents bud.  Hope ya get a bucket full.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2013, 03:48 PM »
Fish the deepest area until late ice then go shallow.   I would try that pinch point between the two deep area, it's like a funnel and might be a hot spot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.