Author Topic: blades on leaders  (Read 2012 times)

wisconsin rookie

blades on leaders
« on: Dec 07, 2002, 12:26 PM »
Hi guys,

the other day i saw an entry on another forum where they discussed putting blades in the leaders of their tip-ups.  i'm kinda new and had never heard of this before.  anybody got any idea what they are talking about and how to set it up if it works??

thanks in advance,
bill

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: blades on leaders
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2002, 05:43 PM »
I'm not sure either, but if someone has some pictures, I would like to see them too.

Esox

JohnP

« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2002, 12:11 PM »
I don't have any pictures but this is what I do and I have increased my catch, no doubt. I tie my hook usually a small treble on the leader, about three feet is what I use,then I put on 2 small beads usually color to match the blade which goes on next, I use a small blade 00 or 0 size. I like gold, pink or green. then I tie the end of the leader to a barrel swivel on my main line. Then I put a split shot below the beads to hold them and the blade up about 6-12 inches from the hook. I like to spray paint some spilt shot different colors like red or white don't know if that helps but it adds a little more color for attractant and its something to do while I wait for ice!  I do some in different sizes so depending on the situation I can add or take away weight.
I make the same rigs up with wire for pike and pickeral only I use 2 trebles with one sliding on the wire (quick strike rig).
I usually get everything I need for them from stamina or janns netcraft.
Like I said they work for trout and toothy critters and have caught my fair share of bass and calico's with them as well.
Hope theis helps,
JP

wisconsin rookie

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2002, 05:44 PM »
thanks jp that's exactly what i was looking for.  i've heard conflicting stories as to whether or not it works, but i'm willing to try anything.  couldn't hurt right :}

thanks again,
bill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.