Author Topic: Heritage Lakers-Adjusting Trip Mechanism?  (Read 6058 times)

Offline JMS42687

• IceShanty Rookie
Heritage Lakers-Adjusting Trip Mechanism?
« on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Hi Folks,

I just bought a set of Heritage Laker traps. They're brand new and the trip mechanism feels like takes pounds to trip the flag.

Compared to my 30 year old Moosehead traps these are 10 times heavier to set off the flag. Does anyone have any advice on tuning the flag catch?

I've heard of people bending the catch but which way is it bent? Up and out or only our away from the flag?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as would pictures of what other anglers have done to theirs. Right now I can't imagine a finicky brook trout would take the bait and set the flag without knowing something was off...more so than just a hook in his mouth. My fear is they'll spit the bait.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Heritage Lakers-Adjusting Trip Mechanism?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:50 PM »
have you backed off the brass star nut ?

Offline JMS42687

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:16 PM »
Yes no drag interference just the actual weight from the mechanism that holds the flag.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:39 PM »
you can file the tab that holds the flag in, but you will get more wind flags the more you file it.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:50 PM »
twist the spring on top till it aligns with the trip mech

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:31 PM »
twist the spring on top till it aligns with the trip mech
X2.
 Doesn't take much sometimes.
It must be something in the water.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2015, 05:40 PM »
I use my Heritages for pickerel, pike, musky and lakers, no problems. I don't target brookies. I was thinking maybe waxing the trip mechanism might help?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline JMS42687

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to move the spring and see what happens. Hopefully this will help!

Offline chubs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2015, 07:27 PM »
i used a dremel with a small grinding stone in it to work the tab down some on mine, just take a little at a time until you get better results
if the shoe fits

Offline fisherman58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2015, 05:09 AM »
don't grind anything just turn the spring

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:51 AM »
By turning the spring you have 2 options
1- by aligning the spring with the trip mech its creates a more sensitive trip of the flag
2- by aligning opposite the trip mech it creates a stiffer trip of the flag

you can keep tinkering with the spring alignment till you like the set and trip
by any chance you using the plastic spools?

you can try to file down the trip mech some but once you go to far your gonna have to replace it or chase flags and only flags all day.

Offline JMS42687

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2015, 08:53 PM »
I turned the springs and they're definitely better, still not a hair trigger but I think they'll be fine. They are the plastic spools and the drag is not set. 

Thank you all for the tips!

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2015, 08:56 PM »
What do you mean by turning the springs?

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:17 AM »
The spring located on the top of the trap. If you set the flag you see the spring bends in the direction of the trip. If you rotate the spring around a bit you can get more or less tension on the tip of the flag.

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Its the springs.  Used them for years, I always remove the flags for refinishing them. And readjust them.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2015, 10:59 AM »
The spring located on the top of the trap. If you set the flag you see the spring bends in the direction of the trip. If you rotate the spring around a bit you can get more or less tension on the tip of the flag.

I figured that was the spring you were talking about just wanted to make sure..... so if you align the bend in the spring with the tripping mechanism it will trip easier?

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:28 PM »
I figured that was the spring you were talking about just wanted to make sure..... so if you align the bend in the spring with the tripping mechanism it will trip easier?

yes it should less tension on the spring
go the other way and it stiffens the trip

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:26 AM »
I found a great way to get around the flag hook on my Red HLs. I got a cardboard box then went into the garage and looked around my shelves and found a spot, placed the card board box on the self and put my HLs in the box and bought a set of Jack Traps. I've had no sensitivity issues since.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline JMS42687

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:25 PM »
I found a great way to get around the flag hook on my Red HLs. I got a cardboard box then went into the garage and looked around my shelves and found a spot, placed the card board box on the self and put my HLs in the box and bought a set of Jack Traps. I've had no sensitivity issues since.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I hear yea, I'm tempted to go get jack traps. I'm not really happy with these traps. The sensitivity issue is a little annoying and the reels are at a weird angle because they pressed the brass bar in at an angle. They're brand new but they're not the quality I was hoping for. 

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2015, 07:30 PM »
I hear yea, I'm tempted to go get jack traps. I'm not really happy with these traps. The sensitivity issue is a little annoying and the reels are at a weird angle because they pressed the brass bar in at an angle. They're brand new but they're not the quality I was hoping for.

All mine are straight.... I would've called them up and said something. I'm sure they would've took care of you

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:21 AM »

It seems that the newer ones with the plastic spools are not as top quality as the ones with the metal spools....

How is the tension on the spool?  I think I can loosen mine or tighten mine but I have the metal spools. 

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:31 AM »
How is the tension on the spool?  I think I can loosen mine or tighten mine but I have the metal spools.

I have the plastic and you can adjust he plastic spools the same as metal.... I went with the plastic because it doesn't freeze up as bad when out of the water like the metal spools tend to do

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2015, 12:01 PM »
I never had a problem with my lakers, I fish for trout, never missed a fish due to bad trip mechanism.  you do have to adjust them, but they been good to me.  Alot of fish.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:22 PM »
I took a file to the nub of my lakers. Don't have any wind flags and the sensitivity is there
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2015, 09:36 PM »
I have modified (sanded/filed) the flag catches on my Lakers, and then ordered replacements.

I have also turned the flags to adjust the tension.  I have a set of older Lakers (aluminum spools).
The wood was unfinished when I bought them.  I took them apart and varnished them.  I also pinned the
spool rods and plastic spring holders to prevent them from falling out.  I didn't catch as many fish using
them the following few years--I suspected the stink from the varnish might have been driving the fish away.

So I ordered a set of Jack Traps.  I like JT's larger spools, and greater sensitivity.  I immediately started catching
more fish using the JT's.  But I hate trying to set a JT with cold fingers.  It is much easier to set a HL with numb fingers.

You can reduce wind flags just by how you orient the trap in the hole by turning it so that the wind blows the flag
in to the catch.

To each his own.

Anyway, I wanted to share the fact that I regretted "tuning" the HL flag clips, so much so that I replaced them with originals.

MD

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:45 AM »
I fish for muskies with 8" trout and suckers and love the trip Tension. No wind flags no bait flags, and once in a blue moon when I throw shinners on for small pike, pickerel, bass. Etc I never had an issue. I wouldn't plan on using them for trout but have caught perch, walleyes, pickerel, pike, bass on them without issues.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2015, 05:47 AM »
did call? I have 10 lakers and all of mine are straight and every one I've seen in stores were straight. I can't even imagine they sent it from the factory with it crooked unless A box got crush in shipping and bent it?

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2015, 09:22 AM »
As an alternative to grinding off the tab that holds the flag from wind tripping, I took a pair of pliers and bent that tab up a little at a time until I got the sensitivity I wanted. You cant add material back on if you wanted change your setup some day, so I don't advise grinding it off. Bending it up will allow you to re adjust at anytime. :tipup:
Chasing Ice

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:22 PM »
I don't think in 15 years I have ever had a wind flag with my lakers.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2015, 01:46 PM »
I guess what i meant was in response to a concern on a previous post about getting wind flags after grinding the holding tab off.
Chasing Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.