New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Season Summary  (Read 2055 times)

Offline hwangler001

• IceShanty Rookie
Season Summary
« on: Mar 29, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Just a quick note on this years ice fishing season. I would have to say very disappointing for me. Warm until late January, then bitter cold until just a few weeks ago. I found fishing to be for the most part extremely poor this year here in CNY. I hope you had a better season. See you next year.Hwangler001 signing out.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Season Summary
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2007, 09:54 AM »
The season was short for me...only about 2 months long...but one of my better ones. lots of lakers, $350 won in a tournament. can't complain.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2007, 10:52 AM »
Just a quick note on this years ice fishing season. I would have to say very disappointing for me. Warm until late January, then bitter cold until just a few weeks ago. I found fishing to be for the most part extremely poor this year here in CNY. I hope you had a better season. See you next year.Hwangler001 signing out.

Wasn't the best for me either but got better near the end. See you next season Dave.

FrankM

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2007, 11:58 AM »
Mine started out slow but ended up with some nice perch out of Lake Erie.  Any year it gets cold enough for Erie to freeze is a good ice fishing year in my book.  Now let's get this unsafe ice melted off so I can get the boat out!

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2007, 02:55 PM »
lake george still produced with lakers and perch,and a couple of nice northerns.but the other lakes i fished were not like years past.brant,saratoga,sacandaga lake.caught fish but it was slow.

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2007, 05:17 PM »
slow at the begining, once the king froze it got good and kept getting better. ;D
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2007, 05:27 PM »
Man, doesn't it always seem like the season went by fast??  I know it didn't really start around here until we were into January a bit...  but even so, managed to get out there a ton of times...  but it's never long enough..

Offline mattmull10

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Not bad, but i can do better!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2007, 06:07 PM »
I agree slow,

I didnt get out much and when i did get out it was at times more social than fishing but none the less it was a slow year.  Some nice perch, a few small trout........ That sums up like 8 or so outings. Job really cut into my fishing time this year........  Atleast its almost bass season
My new Motto for the New Year #@%& it i'm going fishing

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2007, 07:09 AM »
begining of year was hot for eyes
mid ice i wish i would have owned a shanty but was pointed in the direction of iceshanty
only really nice catch during mid ice ;D
late ice was the best for me this season
for some reason i finally got a shanty about 1 week before ice went out on oneida
all i know is i cant wait for next year to use my new scout
nice to catch up with ya percheyes had fun this year drivin around cny :)
hope to do more catchin than fishin next year

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2007, 07:10 PM »
i got out 18 times this year...not too bad. targeting big pike with no results. however i did manage to catch by biggest pickerel,bullhead,crappie and largemouth bass. so not a total blow out.

Snot Roket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2007, 08:16 PM »
My season was pretty succesful considering how late we actually got ice at home.  I logged a total of 41 trips on the ice this year!  :o The action was relatively slow all year here, but there were a few good nights for the crappies, and the perch action at the end of the year was top notch.  Ended up landing the following species:
Northern Pike, Walleye, Yellow Perch, Bluegills/Seeds, Crappies, Rock Bass, Chain Pickerel, Rainbow Trout, Largemouth Bass, and a few others that I can't remember.  Can't say that I caught any real big fish this year, although I continued my streak of catching a personal best fish while ice fishing(20" rainbow...not that big, but FAT...and a hell of a time on an UL with 3# line!)
I started off the year by driving 4 1/2 hours on 3 consecutive Saturdays just to find safe ice (first trip was New Year's Eve)... And of course, like I do every year, I fished with a bunch of new people from IceShanty!  :thumbsup:

I ended the year on a good note, limiting out on 2 consecutive trips with perch like these:

Now it's time to bust out the open water gear (and the turkey hunting gear, of course!)

-Zach

Offline lcrep2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2007, 08:30 PM »
year started off slow, But ended up real good with good cathces of slob perch.  Freezer is full, Now time for the spring run.  See ya next year.
 ;D ;D

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2007, 09:34 PM »
I pretty much had a good season once it got started, Three times Grampa Jack and I caught over 100 perch each on LG. About 60% were dinks and thrown back. So all and all it was a good time on the ice. See ya on MFF.

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2007, 12:04 AM »
Good, bad, and then Great.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2007, 06:11 AM »
My season was great, started out in early december, and stopped once pike season ended. I caught a bunch of pike over 10lbs, and saw a 24lb landed by ilikepike, I got a bunch of lakers out of schroon while waiting for the king to freeze, including a 7lber, which was pretty nice for schroon I thought. Overall a great year.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline ilikepike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if the fish arnt hitting eat venison
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2007, 12:49 PM »
overall i had a great yr started real slow, ended up with nice fish, the sac was a little slow for me this yr, unlike other yrs always did real well there.the tourney from fuel and food was tough getting around so i could not get where i like to fish,but i did end up with a brand new shappell ice rover 1 man from there random drawing what a sweet contest.plus got a few good prizes from iceshanty awsome stuff man.now im gettign ready for turkey season.ill be getting real busy with work here real soon so i wont be able to come here as often as i like to but hope u all have a good summer see ya soon (chewy)
hows your big fat sucker

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2007, 03:43 PM »
As far as fishing goes, I had a GREAT time this year. As far as catching goes, not so good. Am fairly new to the sport & must be doing something wrong. Participated in several tourney's, had a BLAST! Met LOTS of GREAT folks out on the ice. Food & Fuel ROCKS! Had a BALL! Spent two cold, nasty, wet WONDERFUL nights on Sac. Caught a few snags, no fish iced. Won a doorprize, just for showing up. $15.00 entry fee, door prize $25.00. Can't beat that (hitch for a jet sled to be pulled by an ATV). Son just bought an ATV, so now, I'm all set for next ice. My wife tells me there is something wrong with me (I agree). I go out in all kinds of weather, rarely catch anything, even more rarely bring something home to show for the effort, and still have the greatest time of my life, EVERY time I go out. I usually stay out on the ice, overnight, as I don't get to go too often, so I make the most of it when I go. This way, I combine my love of camping with my love for fishing, getting away from every day crap. As the old saying goes..."Even a BAD day of fishing is better than a GOOD day at work!".
My thanks to the local boys who took pity on this old man, pulling a ton of gear on foot & gave him ;D a ride on their sleds. Much appreciated. In my opinion, the best folks can be found on the ice, in the woods and in boats. God Bless ALL & see y'all next ice!

Offline XII Outdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • never fear the night, "The Star" shines bright
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2007, 09:53 PM »
definitely was a late start but I had my best season yet
some friends introduced me to so new (to me) excellent fishing locations
I got a new Ice Armor suit and a Fish Pro Trap and had a great time
hope it gets cold earlier next year though
I dont want the wait from hunting to ice fishing
hope you all did well
XII Outdoors............Ti mes-Two Outdoors