Author Topic: Building Quick-Strikes  (Read 18074 times)

grumpymoe

Re: Building Quick-Strikes
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:37 PM »
So Grump,  You just let them swallow it and then deal with it, which is made easier by the barbless hook? 
....please....as I said...when I get the odd one that decides to inhale the bait, I have a better chance of disgorging the hook from the gill side without harming the fish.....this is an endless discussion with sportsmanship....and I dont discourage anyone from using any of the techniques posted.....just my choice.....and yes.......not one fish released that left doubt in my mind as to survival.......regards to everyone who posted on this topic....Grump

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #31 on: Dec 01, 2005, 04:11 PM »
I won't comment specificially on STANGE, but the In-Fisherman mag in general only has about 1 topic or article in any given issue that is of any use to me. Don't get me wrong, I love what they do, their TV program is top notch, but how many times to I have to see or read about catching smallies on gobie-like tubes? Teach me how to catch eyes in wstn. erie during the height of the mayfly hatch and I'll listen!
FYI K-zoo should be fishable in 2 weeks or less!!!!
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2005, 08:06 AM »
I read about another way to build a rig similar to a quick-strike, here is how they say to do it.
1.Materials: Herring or smelt, gorge hook and threading needle.
2.Thread the gorge hook cable to the needle.
3.Thread the needle through the bait, mouth first to tale end.
4.Pull tight so the 2 prong of the hook line up with sides of the mouth.
5.Place a single prong hook through tail end of bait, then loop cable through the eye of the hook twice.
6.Make at least 6 of these set-ups and store in freezer bags.

If anyone tries this rig, let me know how you do with it. :tipup: ;)

WW

WW, i have never used this technique but have heard of it and talked to people that have. basically i was told that it works good but not good enough to justify all the extra BS, i would have to agree, if your say a fly fisherman and dont need to make anymore flies and need something to do with your hands, or say a cool project to show your kids how to make or something like that it may be worth while to do it, but me personally, i am just gonna stick to the quick strike rig and sardines.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2005, 06:38 PM »
Yeah thats just what I read in a magazine, I to use the quick-strike rigs or just a single treble center punched through the smelt/minnow.:P
Grump I like your double strand rig I,may have to make a few like that. It would be great with fluorocarbon. It's clear but still strong. I to use barbless.
The photo is a bit fuzzy what is that black thing near the top?
How do you rig the bait on your single hooks?

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

grumpymoe

« Reply #34 on: Dec 04, 2005, 07:13 PM »
its split shot...sorry about the fuzzy pick i promised to repost.....it really depends on the bite...aggressive hits...through the mouth and in the side.....sometimes just through the tail.....most of the time just behind the dorsel under the skin.....keeps them moving around....Grump

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2005, 02:48 AM »
....are you saying that Doug Stange doesn't know what he's talking about??.....gimme and everyone else here a break....please....Gru mp
\

I actually like Doug Stange and have corresponded with him for years. But he's not correct on everything. No one is. Not me or you either.
Just because I disagree with something he says or one of his theories doesn't mean I think he doesn't know what he is talking about or that he's just full of it. Probably almost half of the things he says have made a much better fishermen out of me, and that goes for all of In Fishermen. It's NOT infallible and NOT EVERY tactic works.
Grump, you are the one who needs to give me a break. I am simply expressing my opinion in a tactful manner and you are acting like I'm guilty of blasphemy. Why can't the two of us just get along and agree to disagree?
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Bo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:00 AM »
This weekend we built some QS rigs based on some of the helpful info on this board.
We had some 30# fluorocarbon, so we used about 2' of this (maybe more).
We bent the eye of a size 6 treble (so that it hangs parallel to the fluoro leader) and slid it on the leader.
Then we slid on a bead under it followed by one of those little rubber bobber stops.
The bobber stop can be slid up and down, so you can adjust the position of the upper treble without using shrink tubing.
This works great.  Hard to get the bobber stop on the thick leader, and it wrecks the bottom section of the leader, which you have to cut off.
But it is a really slick way to do it.
Then we just tied another treble on the end of the leader.
A spinner with beads and a clevis can be added above the rig using the same bobber stop idea, so that you can move the spinner close to the bait or several inches above, as desired.

Looked like a really good homemade QS rig.  We tried it out.... no fish that day.  They were not biting at all.
We used the movable trebles to rig medium sized tullibee, and also tried putting a salted minnow on each of the trebles spacing them out a few inches.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2005, 10:49 AM »
Sounds cool, Bo.  Very creative.  I might try it with the knotted bobber stops.  Should be easier on the leader.  I love all the ideas that come off this forum.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:05 PM »
I won't comment specificially on STANGE, but the In-Fisherman mag in general only has about 1 topic or article in any given issue that is of any use to me. Don't get me wrong, I love what they do, their TV program is top notch, but how many times to I have to see or read about catching smallies on gobie-like tubes? Teach me how to catch eyes in wstn. erie during the height of the mayfly hatch and I'll listen!
FYI K-zoo should be fishable in 2 weeks or less!!!!

That is true, but they have given me lots of ideas and new tackle and lures to try and use. So a lot of what they say is good advice. However you are right. They concentrate primarly on the Canadian Shield area and Great Lakes, far too much. Fishing conditions, especially in the West, render a lot of In Fishermen tactics either useless or needing to be adjusted for the area.

grumpymoe

« Reply #39 on: Dec 05, 2005, 09:03 PM »
That is true, but they have given me lots of ideas and new tackle and lures to try and use. So a lot of what they say is good advice. However you are right. They concentrate primarly on the Canadian Shield area and Great Lakes, far too much. Fishing conditions, especially in the West, render a lot of In Fishermen tactics either useless or needing to be adjusted for the area.
....and what does this have to do with quick-strike rigs or the discussion????.....its starting....pardon me....incessantly boring to hear how Colorado and the western fishing waters are completely opposite to what most of the angling world regards as typical.....start your own fishing show so we can tune in...or tune out.....Grump

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 05, 2005, 11:46 PM »
....and what does this have to do with quick-strike rigs or the discussion????.....its starting....pardon me....incessantly boring to hear how Colorado and the western fishing waters are completely opposite to what most of the angling world regards as typical.....start your own fishing show so we can tune in...or tune out.....Grump

I was responding to what he said was all.

Offline Yooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 11, 2005, 02:19 PM »
Quick, Question,

I try and keep my bait horizontal (SMELT) when fishing for pike. Does it really matter ???            Any Info appreciated

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:51 AM »
Quick, Question,

I try and keep my bait horizontal (SMELT) when fishing for pike. Does it really matter ???            Any Info appreciated
I try to keep my dead baits horizontal unless I'm resting them on the bottom.  I think it makes a difference.  Others may think differently.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

grumpymoe

« Reply #43 on: Dec 12, 2005, 10:38 AM »
I agree....any bait suspended should rest horizontally......dead baiting the bottom will attract the pike looking for a meal it doesnt have to chase.....au natural whatever ways its presented...Grump

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #44 on: Dec 12, 2005, 07:53 PM »
Hey there grump buddy, I just thought I would throw in my opinion too on QS rigs and there hookups from what I've experienced, I just couldn't resist. For the rest of you I also fish manitoba, and have been using QS rigs with barbless hooks for years on large pike.  When my flag goes off in the lake I fish, 95% of the time it is a large pike 34" plus, I rarely hook small ones using large bait in this lake.  I have been fishing this way for about the past five years or more and have landed dozens and dozens of large pike and can only recall of one incident in which a pike around 32-34" swallowed my bait deep and had to be kept.  All the rest I have ever caught are hooked in the corner of the mouth and very easy to remove with the barbless hooks some even spit the hook when they hit the ice.  On other lakes where I fish smaller pike a QS rig definitely deep hooks more fish, and on these lakes I usually fish the pike to keep a few to eat.  And a gorge hook rig and QS are not even close in my opinion although I haven't used gorge hooks much, I just think a gorge hook has to be swallowed too much to get a hook-up, different than the QS rigs.  And thats my opinion.  :)

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #45 on: Dec 13, 2005, 12:19 PM »
Grump, sir, is there something about this thread that just puts a bad taste in your mouth? I know that it is hard to get a real accurate idea of how someone intends to come off reading what they say as opposed to listening to them say it, but as I read your posts it seems to me as though you are coming off as, well, grumpy. I believe the basis of this forum is to allow a group of people with similar interests to come together and share information. However, this isn't science and this isn't math, its fishing. A tactic based activity. There is no defined right or wrong way to approach it. I for one appreciate this website and the knowledge I can obtain from its members, including you. I only hope that I can provide an equal amount of knowledge in return.

That being said, back to topic. It was my understanding the the premise for the Quick Strike Rig was 1) Increase the number of hook ups and 2) Reduce the number of deeply hooked fish. Isn't the idea to use two hooks so that instead of waiting for the fish to inhale to bait completly into its mouth (and even its throat) you can set the hook immediatly, increasing the chance of hooking the fish in its mouth or outside of the mouth? Its this idea that sparked me to make this my set-up for pike fishing. If this is false, and you guys find that you mortaly wound more fish this way than with the standard set up, please let me know.   
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

grumpymoe

« Reply #46 on: Dec 13, 2005, 03:57 PM »
its no worse than any other type of setup.....the only reason I stated my opinion and preference was for one reason....being able to release trophy and overslot sized fish period....If you are ontop of your game and not dozing off in a warm shanty with a tipup thats 100' away when the flag goes off then there's no problem....just a question to ponder......How many times have you been out fishing around other anglers with tipups and you see one go off????...ever remember someone preoccupied and takes 2-5 minutes to get to the rig???....wonder if the the fish has mostly swallowed the bait??...good chance...anyways....as I said...its just my preference and I dont have a problem with anybody fishing quickstrikes.....Grump

Offline jackbear

• IceShanty Rookie
  • grrrr......
« Reply #47 on: Dec 19, 2005, 02:47 PM »
Anybody got a picture of one of these rigs, I'm a visual learner I guess.

grrrr...... jackbear

grumpymoe

« Reply #48 on: Dec 19, 2005, 04:08 PM »
Anybody got a picture of one of these rigs, I'm a visual learner I guess.

...check the thread below..."dead bait presentation"...some good pics and success stories....Grump

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #49 on: Dec 19, 2005, 11:41 PM »
MasterAngler for consistently 32-34 inch fish what size of bait do you like to use? :-\

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline Sir Landsalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 05, 2006, 10:01 AM »
Jackbear:  Her's what I have been using: 4' of 40 lb. fluorocarbon, the front hook is a Gamakatsu #2 octopus with heat-shrink tubing to help hold it in place, and a Gamakatsu #6 treble in the stern. 

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:04 PM »

;D ;D :D :D :D :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline fishy99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2006, 02:51 PM »
Well today I built about 5 quick strikes using two #6 treble hooks with one attached to the 3 feet of 15 pound line and the other attached with a sliding slip knot to the main 15 pound line. This allows for adjustable bait size. I am hopefully going to get to try them this weekend on some tip-ups at the strap. I hope they work as well as everyone says. I will report back later with an image of the rig and hopefully with some nice weed shark pics. Good luck everyone. I love this site.  ;)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2006, 03:58 PM »
Sirlandsalot..that is a nice set-up..I tired one similar to it, but it was not a good rig..I lucked out though local guys sells in the bait shop..$2...pre-rigged Ontario Stlye  (1 treble, 1 Single Hook)..Much easier then putting on together

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.