Author Topic: Walleye help please  (Read 2815 times)

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
Walleye help please
« on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:45 PM »
Hey everyone....searching this thread tryin to get info on some walleye fishing I plan on doing this ice season. What do you rig your tip ups with? what pound line? mono or braid? leader or no leader? steel or fluoro? trebles? large bait small bait medium bait? depth to fish them? etc?

How does everyone jig for them? what pound test line? leader or no leader? swedish pimples? jigs tipped with something? rapala jigs? buck shots?

Thanks for any walleye advice!!

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Walleye help please
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2012, 09:35 PM »
I tie a barrel swivel off my main line and run a 8-10 lb leader of fluorocarbon about 4-6 foot long for my tip ups......18-26 foot is my best depth for where i fish.....i run a medium size shiner minnow about 6-8 Inches off the bottom on a treble hook with a couple split shot spaced out a few inches above the hook.....i like to find a depth change and run a few sets on each side of the drop off.....i also set up a medium action jig rod with 8-10 lb fluorocarbon usually( p- line) buck shot rattles tipped with perch bait have been my go to lure for the last few years a dead stick bait next to your jig hole will target fish that are attracted to the rattle.....friends of mine also do well with swedish pimples and flash spoons.....jigging rapallas seem to produce well on slow days...hopemthis helps you get started  ;D
Budweiser pro staff

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:28 AM »
thanks alot for the info. anyone else?

Offline walleyemagic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • () Eyes There out there somewhere()Team NY
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Almost same setup as EyeHi 

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2012, 03:07 PM »
well i guess I got to get some 10lb fluoro for leaders. What about main line? I have heavy braided on all my tip-ups, but realize you guys recommend a long fluoro leader. will this heavy braid hurt anything?

what size trebles do you use for walleye?

Offline Pklures

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • PK Lures -- Catching Fish Redefined!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2012, 03:28 PM »
Most walleye anglers have a favorite way to fish for them. One thing is common. Very few use leaders. But swivels can be added with out hurting the action of the  Spoons Low vis Line is a key and 6 to 10 lb test. The lures used are again a personal choice. Lots of Great one on the market. Check your local Tackel shop they have a wealth of information Good Luck. :icefish:

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:16 PM »
We live fairly close by.... Where are you loooking to fish ? I recomend the long leader beause of the clear water in the st lawrence  river.....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:18 PM »
Most walleye anglers have a favorite way to fish for them. One thing is common. Very few use leaders. But swivels can be added with out hurting the action of the  Spoons Low vis Line is a key and 6 to 10 lb test. The lures used are again a personal choice. Lots of Great one on the market. Check your local Tackel shop they have a wealth of information Good Luck. :icefish:
Just goes to show how different anglers approach fish.....every friend of mine uSes a leader around here due to ultra clear water....
Budweiser pro staff

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2012, 10:05 PM »
I have never fished for walleye and was just feeling out the methods everyone uses. I would like to possibly take a trip to somewhere and fish eye's. everyone uses fluoro leaders correct? 10 lb leaders good? also is it ok to have heavy braid main line? all of my tip=ups are set up for pike fishing with 50lb braided line. if I run a 3-4ft fluoro leader will this be alright?

I dont have a vexilar or anything so i can just move around a body of water looking for the fish like some can. maybe sometime I can pick one up, got to fix the snowmobile first

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2012, 11:27 AM »
Same as Eyehi for me. I use 27# Woodstock braid on my tip-ups with a heavy snap swivel. This allows me to change between Pike & Eyes depending on the trip.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2012, 11:31 AM »
Jiggin raps in all sizes, and slender spoons with minnow heads seem to do the trick while jigging!

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2012, 01:50 PM »
i picked up a jiggin rap the other day. it is a glow one. guess it is just going to be an experiment.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2012, 01:56 PM »
I too am learning how to catch Marble eyes. Hooked into one on a silver blue Lindy darter the other day. The meat was way good compared to a mushy old trout.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2012, 04:02 PM »
I have never fished for walleye and was just feeling out the methods everyone uses. I would like to possibly take a trip to somewhere and fish eye's. everyone uses fluoro leaders correct? 10 lb leaders good? also is it ok to have heavy braid main line? all of my tip=ups are set up for pike fishing with 50lb braided line. if I run a 3-4ft fluoro leader will this be alright?

I dont have a vexilar or anything so i can just move around a body of water looking for the fish like some can. maybe sometime I can pick one up, got to fix the snowmobile first
3-4 foot should be a long enough lead.....i use shorter leads in murky or stained water.....once the bays on the st lawrence have good ice make a trip down and i will show you how i set up  ;)
Budweiser pro staff

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:12 PM »
I might have to take you up on that offer ;)

thanks for the tips everyone!!

Offline rayfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2012, 08:48 PM »
I fish the st lawrence in the summer. We consistantly jigged up fish with a jig fish lure. 1 ounce to 4 depending on the current. Drop down and rip up, drop down and rip up...they always hit on the way up. In the river green and black were the best colors. We bought them at the 1000 island bait shop. good luck

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:02 AM »
thanks for the tip

Offline RodBreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a RodBreaker!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:07 PM »
i picked up a jiggin rap the other day. it is a glow one. guess it is just going to be an experiment.

Have yet to be skunked with perch style jigging rap and lindys Rattl'n flyers Tipped with minnow heads.  As for tip ups, I would recommend keeping the 50# braid and the 3-4ft leader should be just fine. Small blood red lazer treble with walleye minnow should do the trick.
"Never trust a man who doesn't hunt or fish."

Teddy Roosevelt

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:55 PM »
thanks for the tips

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.