Author Topic: Morning Walleye Fishing / Locating Baitfish  (Read 2809 times)

Offline gibber13

• IceShanty Rookie
Morning Walleye Fishing / Locating Baitfish
« on: Feb 14, 2010, 01:45 PM »
How late in the morning do you target walleyes?  During the weekdays the earliest that I can get on the Ice is around 8AM.  Am I setting up too late to bother with Eyes?

How do you locate baitfish under the ice?  I have a Marcum, but have never noticed anything that would resemble baitfish on it.  I have an aquaview as well, but its such a pain to use due to the water clarity of the lakes that I fish.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Morning Walleye Fishing / Locating Baitfish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2010, 03:43 PM »
How late you fish for Walleye depends on the weather.

If it is overcast you can fish longer for them than when the sun is shining brightly.

I don't try to look for baitfish, that takes too long.   If you have a good map, try and figure the migration routes used by the fish.

When I am targeting Walleye,  I look for a likely route from deep water to where the fish will most likely be hunting for food.   I set up on the route, and drill lots of holes all at once.

You don't want to be drilling holes once the bite has started.  In the evening, the fish will start to move in from deep water to where they are going to feed for the evening.  In the morning, the fish will start to slip back to deep water to spend the day the higher the sun gets.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline IceMan08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2010, 03:49 PM »
On the lake I fish for walleye I rarely seem to catch any past 11a.m., then the pike seem to wake up and start biting.

Offline RedfishHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Guy Martin
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2010, 03:40 PM »
I mostly fish rivers for walleyes and past 9am....I rarely have a bite....they move back in deeper water and become letargic until feedding frenzy.
This is not lake fishing mind you....I have no experience ice fishing for walleye on lakes....only panfish...and pikes...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.