Author Topic: Walleye Tip up setup  (Read 12452 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Walleye Tip up setup
« on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:49 AM »
I always run my tip ups for pike but will be using them for walleye this weekend. On my tip up I run 30# tip up line, a lot of people don't like it because it absorbs water and freezes but I haven't had any problems where I couldn't stand it anymore and I like it because its a little thicker and doesn't seem to bite into your hand, with a 30# steel leader. For switching to walleye I left the steel leader on then took a 6-8 ft piece of 10lb flouro and tied a barrel swivel to one end and my treble to the other. I just clip the steel leader into the swivel and its good to go. I also added a dab of super glue to the knots to keep them from slipping.

Given I have not tested this set up out yet, but I think it will work fine. I was given some tips by a long time walleye fisherman on how to rig my tip up. It is exactly the way he told me with the addition of the steel leader for easy switches between pike and walleye.  I'll post back once I've tested it.

Let me know what you guys think in the mean time. Thanks.

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
Re: Walleye Tip up setup
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2010, 02:16 PM »
I use tipups for walleye often. Your setup is good, but the steel leader is not needed. 10lb test fluorocarbon will do just fine.

Other tips; use premium hooks like gamakatsu. Also, regrease your tipups if you haven't already. Frabill makes a good cold temp grease. Its amazing how smooth they work after a new greasing.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2010, 10:01 PM »
Thanks for the input. I just left the steel leader on so I could switch from my flouro leader to a quick strike rig (walleye rig to pike rig) quickly and easily.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:24 AM »
I agree with Trogdor,

You may want to add a glow bead or two, but your setup sounds fine with the #10 lb.

Wiener

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2010, 10:03 AM »
I would not use the steel leader caught many pike with only 6 # mono, did lose some hooks but you will get more bites.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Set up worked fine. Caught a couple walleye and couple perch. My 2 tip ups actually caught more fish than the other 6 we had out that were rigged specifically for walleye. I would probably add a couple glow beads next time though.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Glad to hear that the changes worked for you.

try a tipup with a glow bead on the leader. 

A small blade that flicks when your minnow moves might help also.

Good luck.

Wiener

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Probably try that out this weekend. Thanks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.