Author Topic: New to Sport…What Are The Limits Of My New Rods  (Read 872 times)

Offline thinblueline

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Sport…What Are The Limits Of My New Rods
« on: Nov 18, 2022, 08:28 PM »
I’m brand new to the sport. Used some sick time payout money to buy a few new rod/reel combos under the buy once cry once philosophy. It was from reading a lot of archived threads on this website that I gained somewhat of a loose consensus as to what I would buy. I will likely split time between fishing Green Bay for 1-3 pound whitefish, and inland lakes for perch, crappies and bluegills. What I would like to know from you ladies and gents is what is the sweet spot as it pertains to lure/presentation weight for each rod, and what are each rod’s limitations.

I bought a Thorne Brothers 28” Quiverstick and a 30” Power Noodle.

I also bought a TUCR 30” PrecisionNoodle, a 30” Bullwhip, and a 32” Precision.

I am kind of hoping the TB Power Noodle and TUCR Bullwhip can pull double duty on occasion as dead stick rods with a live minnow, and I’m hoping the TB Quiverstick has enough oomph to handle some 1-3 pound whitefish duty. As to lure/presentation weights, that’s where you guys come in, if you don’t mind letting me know what weight runs best on each rod. Thanks in advance!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New to Sport…What Are The Limits Of My New Rods
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2022, 05:11 PM »
I am not familiar with Thorne Bros rods so I cant comment on them other than hearing they are great rods overall.

Regarding the TUCR rods, I have a lot of experience with some of their lineup

The Precision Noodle and the Bullwhip are very similar with the main difference being the backbone. The sensitivity is very similar. For bluegills., crappies and perch, I prefer the Precision Noodle as the transition to the backbone is more gradual while the Bullwip has a quick transition to the backbone which would be better for lite biting heavier fish (maybe whitefish). If Im going for something that could be a bit heavier, I use the TUCR Fusion. The Fusion is the best crossover rod between panfish and walleye that I have ever used.

The TUCR Precision will handle any whitefish without a problem (along with walleyes for the most part) and works great with 1/8oz spoons or even a bit heavier

Offline thinblueline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2022, 07:52 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I think I’ll have to add a Fusion in the not too distant future.

Offline MontanaFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2022, 10:44 PM »
I won’t be able to answer your questions or be much of any help.. but congratulations!! Those are some expensive rods. I hope you enjoy them!

On a side note, after many years of using cheaper combos I finally upgraded and picked up a TUCR 30” bullwhip, 32” fusion, and a 32” commander. They should cover everything I plan on targeting. I haven’t been able to use them yet, but I’m counting down the days. I decided to pair the bullwhip and fusion with a size 20 pflueger president and the commander with a size 25 spinning reel.

Good luck!

Offline thinblueline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2022, 06:27 AM »
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not flush with cash, but I don’t abuse sick time, so after years of not burning it, I was gifted some back. I’ve read guys saying they wasted a lot of money filling buckets with cheap ice fishing combos before finally upgrading and wishing they had started that way…so I just decided to take the advice they didn’t know they were giving me.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2022, 08:56 AM »
Great choices! I’ve got all rods listed except the Precision.

The Bullwhip & Power Noodle are fine deadstick rods.

I’m not familiar with whitefish, but the Quiverstick is my most used rod. I target crappie, but have caught enough bass, catfish, and hybrid stripers with Quiversticks to be confident that they will handle any 3lb fish that swims.

What I keep tied on those rods:
TB PN = 1/32oz Gillgetter
QS = 1/10oz Swedish Pimple
QS = 5mm (1/16oz?) Tungsten & plastic
TUCR PN = 1/16oz slender spoon
BW = 5mm tungsten

I’ve used the QS with jigging raps & 1/8oz spoons, but I prefer the TB Panfish for that duty. I’ve used the BW with Rattlin Raps, but prefer the TUCR QuickTip for that lure. The QS and especially the BW are versatile rods that can be used with a wide range of lures & sizes.

Offline thinblueline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2022, 07:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply Mark. That’s some helpful insight you’ve given me!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2022, 10:02 PM »
St. Croix ML 28" Sahara 750 4 lb floro 5lb rainbow.

You are only limited by your drag-

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2022, 10:15 PM »
Can’t go wrong with the tucr rods.  I have the 32” bullwhip and 30” precision noodle and they hav me great for me.  You started off right.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.