The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Shanty runner idea  (Read 1147 times)

Offline 450foreman04

• IceShanty Rookie
Shanty runner idea
« on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:11 PM »
I am looking for runner ideas for a hard side I am building.  6x8, 2x2 framing, 1/4 in plywood.

Want some clearance but also enough surface area to slide easier.  I was thinking of taking a 2x10 and attaching a 2x6 horizontally (think upside down T) under it.  That would give clearance and a wider surface area.  Thoughts?  Too heavy?  Want to keep it fairly light but also easy to move in snow.  What are you using or have seen?

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!
Re: Shanty runner idea
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2012, 03:29 PM »
Less contact is less friction which makes it easier to pull.

The more clearance you have the less likely you'll be pulling a sow plow.

Using these concepts, look up "Smitty Sled." I built one and it works fantastic!

If you are talking about a permanent shanty, your idea would likely work.

You can attach some old used skis to your joists and it should pull like a dream. Wax the Skis and it'll pull you!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2012, 03:40 PM »
You could use cut strips of 3/4" plywood, then my friend suggested to me about putting plastic on the bottom cut from those blue plastic 55 gal drums, cut strips of the plastic and layer it onto the bottom of the runners. It would really pull like a dream on ice or snow. I am also in the planning stages of building a new one. The old one I have now is so heavy the only way I can pull it is with my truck. And the way its looking I wouldn't have it on ice until mid January.

Offline tjkpopup

• IceShanty Rookie
  • TjK
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:57 PM »
I used a pair of skis attached to a 2x4 vertically, screwed in from the bottom of the skis to the 2 by 4, with the screw set in... works like a charm.. on top of that i laid 3 2x4s across-ed and plywood over that... can pull by hand, (its not a full shaq, i put my HUB style portable on top of that...  for easy moving hole hopping
Ice Fishin Computer Tech

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:32 AM »
i have a similar set up for my clam 6800 skis with 2x4's works great
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.