Author Topic: plastics  (Read 10737 times)

Offline trkyhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: plastics
« Reply #30 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:21 AM »
red ice picks mid season when they are looking for bloodworms. Bounce off the bottom a few times and then let it sit. as soon as my line moves sideways i set the hook.
Yes Virginia....Santa does ice fish

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 17, 2013, 10:56 PM »
Fishing was tough today but I put together a decent catch; enough for the two meals I was looking for. I was using horizontal jigs with straight tails. 10 -12 size range. My latest fav is the Northland Tapeworm; also a crappie killer. Hooking some weeds and pulling up sharply and then dropping back produced a few nice fish. They almost all had to be teased into biting. Without a flasher I might have caught a couple. My take home minus a really nice Pumpkin seed I caught later. My buddy didn't fare as well with jigs and wax worms. His fish is the smallest just short of 8. Largest went  9.25"

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2013, 10:22 PM »
I remember one of the guys from the TV show "Ice Men" stating one time "If it don't glow, it don't go." Not sure if you guys agree, but he did fish blue gill and their relatives for big $$$. A tip, I took from him was when going to an unknown body of water "look for truck boogers (brown snow from wheelwells) in the same spot." It means somebody is going back to that same spot frequently.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline Frenchman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2013, 06:48 AM »
Yooper,

I am a big fan of glow presentations however, I do not always "charge" them.  This allows me to give a subtle presentation when it is needed and a glow presentation in lower light conditions or wit aggressive fish. 
Paul
Formerly Out_Of_Ideas
All I wanted to do was watch someone Ice Fish!

Offline jigtwins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:43 PM »

Some plastics that I make/use.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:48 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Very nice. Looks like ones we used to make, nothing like a "leggy" profile

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 21, 2013, 07:22 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

These look awesome!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline wickedwind

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Jigginfireman couldn't have put it better,here in S.E Wisconsin on certain bodies of water your the odd man out if you use bait. Plastics have been around here for a long time. Thanks in no small part to a guy named Herman,who I might add still fishes more at 92 than most guys a third his age, who hand cut the first versions I saw out of Jelly worms.With the price of bait ever on the increase plastics have found there way into most buckets,at least around here.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2013, 12:46 PM »
i haven't really tried plastics for bluegills, but i know they're a necessity when targeting crappies.

i really like the northland bro's bloodworm in glow and brown. other than that i usually use tiny tube jigs and the northland impulse minnows.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 31, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Berklet atomic fry is another good choice. I got some of the micro lil ones and i downsized to them the other day. Fishing was slow but once i put those on it picked right back up!
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 01, 2014, 03:36 PM »
Panners were on a negative plastic bite yesterday; as much as I love the convenience and shot at the bigger fish often I must lure 'em in with waxies, spikes and finish 'em off w/ plastics...
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Jigginfireman couldn't have put it better,here in S.E Wisconsin on certain bodies of water your the odd man out if you use bait. Plastics have been around here for a long time. Thanks in no small part to a guy named Herman,who I might add still fishes more at 92 than most guys a third his age, who hand cut the first versions I saw out of Jelly worms.With the price of bait ever on the increase plastics have found there way into most buckets,at least around here.

WickedWind,
I spent an hour with Plastic Joe the other day and restocked my supply of plastics. He also makes incredible line through the rod jigging poles. It is amazing how much you can learn by actually taking the time and having a nice conversation. We are blessed to have people like Herman and Joe in our back yards!!!
WiMeatHunter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.