The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How many is too many?  (Read 3906 times)

Offline 12BHNTN

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How many is too many?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2016, 01:22 PM »
Most reasonable and balanced discussion I've read in a long time.  Thanks guys.  Glad to know I'm sharing the ice and resources with so many level heads.  Cleaning 50 perch is a chore, but when the resource allows I sure do appreciate the experience and enjoy the rewards for months to come.

Tight lines!

Offline Thundersticks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:28 PM »
Glad to hear some fellow fisherman are being sensible when it comes to perch limits. I go by ten a day myself. The decline in perch numbers in canyon ferry and hauser lakes came from over harvest by fisherman,not because of walleye predadation.the perch population was in decline long before walleyes showed up. Ling have more to do with perch numbers than eyes. For six and a half years now since I moved back to helena from Western Mt, i hear all the time, we just don't  catch big walleyes like we used to. I see fisherman  on shore,in boats, & on ice catching walleyes ranging from 5-6 inches and up. If it's a  walleye, no matter what size, in the bucket,live well, or on the stringer it goes. Keep it up. In couple more years you will succeed  where fwp's couldn't.  You will eradicate walleyes out of Canyon ferry,hauser,and even Holter. That's a  sad but true thought.

Offline perch poacher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2016, 10:41 PM »
I also go as 10 as a limit as does my fishing partner-enough for a meal.  I caught two 12+" perch that went back as spawners in 15 FOW.  Hopefully we will reap the rewards in the future.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #33 on: Dec 28, 2016, 11:04 PM »
Hopefully we will reap the rewards in the future.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.