Author Topic: new beaver dam tip up spool style?  (Read 4136 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
new beaver dam tip up spool style?
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:01 PM »
so I was putting some double h easy reels on my beaver dams for quicker line retrieval when moving or packing up.well while trying to snap on the easy reel I snapped the spool off the shaft.these are the dark grey cast aluminum spools? with 1/4 nuts holding them on that beaver dam went to after the solder on type.i ordered new one and these are goldish color and are held on by a tiny allen bolt in the side of the spool.nothing holding it on the bottom.unsure if I like this design,for one you wont know if the bolt is loose unless you unspool all the line,2 is tiny allen head suck and strip out/rust,sieze above water and I just imagine under the water.3 nothing to hold it on underneath the spool it can just fall off.im still a fan of the old school solder on bd tipups I guess i don't like good things to change designs.Or am I just paranoid?!lol

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: new beaver dam tip up spool style?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:32 PM »
Better than the nut on the bottom imo but I don't think I'll buy them new again unless they go back to solder

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Interesting Doc. First, I'd never seen the "Easy Reel" product but since I run Polars I wouldn't be looking for stuff that already exists on my stuff. Love them little Polar handles for picking up!

Second, correct me if I'm wrong, looks like the spool is fine but you snapped the shaft. How is that possible unless you are the Incredible Hulk? All the shafts I've seen Polar and Beaver Dam are stainless steel and will only bend and not break unless you do a lot of repetitive bending. Regardless of the location, can you see if the break was all new or was cracked/flawed just waiting for a little stress?

Last, I've never been a fan of BD spool attachment. When they were soldered on it was a nightmare to repack. I know, I did hundreds when I worked at the tackle shop. When they went to the nut on the end, that was the best but I don't know why they didn't stick with it unless it was some sort of patent thing. The set screw would make me uneasy too. If it's an Allen that's a plus but I'd be inclined to replace it with a properly hardened set screw anyway. Then I'd mark where it engages the shaft and make a slight indent with either a drill, Dremel or file to keep the spool from spinning or sliding on the shaft. Finally, when I slapped it all together I'd put a drop of LockTite on that set screw.

I know, sounds like a lot of fooling around but there's not too much you buy today that doesn't benefit from some aftermarket engineering. Even my beloved Polars have had their cheap, stamped nuts replaced with SS nylocks, a custom spool/shaft retainer for transport and a rubber sleeve to keep the line guide from spinning (that pen clip thing was useless). I do like the spool retention on the Polars. I can pull one apart, clean, re-lube and re-assemble in about 15 minutes.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:51 PM »
I forgot to add but it has a flat notch where the set screw goes.yeah the shaft snapped so easy.straight break too.not jagged.these bd tip ups are only 3 years old and ive alreAdy had to switch flag assemblies due to rust.my older bds just plain out do work with no problems.bet bd went away from the nut fastener because people were breaking the spool shafts..jmo

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:13 PM »
I forgot to add but it has a flat notch where the set screw goes.yeah the shaft snapped so easy.straight break too.not jagged.these bd tip ups are only 3 years old and ive alreAdy had to switch flag assemblies due to rust.my older bds just plain out do work with no problems.bet bd went away from the nut fastener because people were breaking the spool shafts..jmo

Bet it broke right at one end of the flat spot too, probably the top. If you look at the break, is part of it dark and part of it bright? Any dark would indicate a crack or imperfection prior to the break.

Some of my Polars are over 30 YO, been apart many times and I've never snapped a shaft.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:22 PM »
It broke off flush right where the top nut is straight across with 1 thread left on the top part of the shaft.everything is dark across the break..no shine.probably been cracked for awhile im thinking.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:21 PM »
If you decide to stay with the solder style BD reels, here is what I rigged up by using a magnet and a handle off an old Zebco to wind up the spooled off line - simple on and off.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:39 PM »
That’s a sweet deal there Rump.  Pretty helpful when it’s especially cold out I’m guessing.

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:00 PM »
I made a winder exactly like that (except an Okuma handle) to wind up line on my new BD's. The problem is that new DB spools are not magnetic. My winder looks great but that's about it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Right the new grey or gold spools are not magnetic.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2019, 10:54 AM »
I made a winder exactly like that (except an Okuma handle) to wind up line on my new BD's. The problem is that new DB spools are not magnetic. My winder looks great but that's about it.

Right the new grey or gold spools are not magnetic.

Well, that’s a bummer!  Works great on the oldies, though. I think my newest BD is the 1992 30th Anniversary model and the spool is magnetic on that one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.