The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: gas or propane?  (Read 905 times)

Offline Tim B

• Team IceShanty Regular
gas or propane?
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:50 PM »
hey guys I think i'm going to have to buy a new auger and I wanted to get a general consensus of what type of auger I should look at. can also give opinions on brand while you're at it.  thanks

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: gas or propane?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:35 PM »
Just got the new Eskimo P1 Rocket propane auger and  I am thoroughly impressed with it.  It's light and eats up ice fast.  It's my first power auger so I don't have anything to compare to but I did a lot of research prior to making this investment.  I'm extremely happy with my choice!

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:47 PM »
If you want something to pass down to your kids or grandkids get a Tanaka 350 (2-stroke) with a Strikemaster flight in 8” or 10” hehehe.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Tim B

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:15 PM »
what do you guys think about the older jiffy 30? my friend has one and he likes that

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:05 PM »
what do you guys think about the older jiffy 30? my friend has one and he likes that

A buddy has a Jiffy 30 (Tecumseh) bought around the mid-1990’s.  He takes care of his stuff and it is still going strong today.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:00 AM »
I use a model 30 from the'70's era. Replaced a head gasket this year. The 30 is my go to auger. I have the pro 4, model 34, and a 76. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a 30 in decent shape.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2018, 06:43 AM »
I'm a low to no maintenance kind of guy, propane is the way to go IMO.  If you like fiddle farting with small engines in the middle of winter, mixing gas/oil, playing with carb settings, go with gas.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:09 AM »

They are heavy.  I had an 8" gas for several years, got tired of lugging it around, so bought a gas Strikemaster, it is lighter, cuts a hole quicker and just nicer to operate (in my opinion), I would guess there are other good brand options also.  I finally got around to selling the Jiffy 30 this last fall, there were no tears in my eyes when it was gone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.