The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Any one try this yet?? Jiffy chippers blades on a nils ??  (Read 3970 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Any one ever try to make a cutter  head to fit a 8 inch nils with chipper blades form a jiffy stx auger??  Also any one have pictures of there jiffy chipper blade mounting .. if you do are they angled or just flat??  I know you need a center point in plans too.. I am planing to make a cutter head similar to a k- drill out if two jiffy chipper blades a center point ftom a eskimo or make one will figure that out once I get there..figuRed I can mont blades to flat metal and weld a tube into the center that will accept the cent point and holder for center point.. really trying to figure if the jiffy auger is flat or curved up and tured down do they bite faster. But hopefully I can find pictures etc for this project.. or will have to buy a jiffy bit sooner or later.. hopefully when finished all will work like a k-drill  except I can turn by hand or power..any how thanks for any pictures or pointers you can give.. I figured this would be easier then cutting and ripping apart a mora to make it work?? And it has a  offset handle so will see how it cuts .. thanks for any help you can give on this project.. the bore seems except a 7/8 of  inch tube on the nils wich is about 3/4 inside Dia .. guessing similar Dom tubing will work?? Then just mount flat stock 1x .25 x what ever blade mounting lenght should be?? But need to get good look at blades to see if at angle to ice as in ceartin parts of the blade touch were other dont.. or is flat against ice when it cut ice?? So if you hot pictures please post for ideas..

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Any one try this yet?? Jiffy chippers blades on a nils ??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2018, 01:32 PM »
You do know that Jiffy's run counter Clockwise?
<===Lefty===

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2018, 02:08 PM »
That's fine for a hand auger but if you use a drill it won't work..  cause they say dont drill in reverse.. I know this .. wondering how it would work if augerING holes  by. Hand.. with some thing like I am thinking of.. I can always get s jiffy power head later if it works .. see icescratcher  rebuilt a auger with less fighting  thinking maybe making a hole ager head and shaft if I have to..  was wondering cause jiffy blades are cheap to buy $17.50 for 10 inch blades per each.. if they will mount to flat stock at 90*  to the auger shaft that's all I will need then I can make the flightings later..  I got other off set handles I can use besides nils like a mora boren with off set handle .. this is the picture I am looking at that I am thinking they are mounted 90* to the auger shaft?? But wondering if the blades are held at a conical angle like stike master blades are on their chipper style??  Wich would make project that much harder..

Here's picture I am looking at think there flat Mounted.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2018, 02:43 PM »
I literally have no idea what you’re trying to accomplish. I mean, I think I get the gist but from what I can gather, wouldn’t it just be easier to buy the k-drill then bend some conduit to form an offset handle? Why would you want to hand drill with chipper blades? Unless this is all over my head or I’m reading your post incorrectly, I’m completely lost on why someone would go through this much work when cutting a whole in the ice has honestly become the least of our modern ice fishing concerns. I’m also wondering why the Nill’s isn’t good enough on it’s own. Replacing a Nill’s head for something different negates the purpose of the Nill’s to begin with, doesn’t it?

Also, what is bad about running a brushless motor in reverse? I’ve never heard of something like before and I’m legitimately asking.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:08 PM »
I literally have no idea what you’re trying to accomplish. I mean, I think I get the gist but from what I can gather, wouldn’t it just be easier to buy the k-drill then bend some conduit to form an offset handle? Why would you want to hand drill with chipper blades? Unless this is all over my head or I’m reading your post incorrectly, I’m completely lost on why someone would go through this much work when cutting a whole in the ice has honestly become the least of our modern ice fishing concerns. I’m also wondering why the Nill’s isn’t good enough on it’s own. Replacing a Nill’s head for something different negates the purpose of the Nill’s to begin with, doesn’t it?

Also, what is bad about running a brushless motor in reverse? I’ve never heard of something like before and I’m legitimately asking.

Running a drill in reverse can void's warranty and can burn out a drill motor.. /wreck a gear box.. that was from the rigid warranty and operation manual that was read at..

Also I think these chipper blades are cw jiffy chipper blades .. not ccw chipper blade like the current models are.. I may be wrong though?? See link.. for Cw chipper blades..

Also I think I am bored and I hate paying $30 just to sharpen a nils head or $100 to replace it so just though I would mess with a little idea..  and try the blades at this link might try it on a cord less drill will see..

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Jiffy-10-39-39-Ice-Auger-Blade-Teeth-for-2130-drill-Model-50-90-only-/142647140806?txnId=1487096526004

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:11 PM »
Any one ever try to make a cutter  head to fit a 8 inch nils with chipper blades form a jiffy stx auger??  Also any one have pictures of there jiffy chipper blade mounting .. if you do are they angled or just flat??  I know you need a center point in plans too.. I am planing to make a cutter head similar to a k- drill out if two jiffy chipper blades a center point ftom a eskimo or make one will figure that out once I get there..figuRed I can mont blades to flat metal and weld a tube into the center that will accept the cent point and holder for center point.. really trying to figure if the jiffy auger is flat or curved up and tured down do they bite faster. But hopefully I can find pictures etc for this project.. or will have to buy a jiffy bit sooner or later.. hopefully when finished all will work like a k-drill  except I can turn by hand or power..any how thanks for any pictures or pointers you can give.. I figured this would be easier then cutting and ripping apart a mora to make it work?? And it has a  offset handle so will see how it cuts .. thanks for any help you can give on this project.. the bore seems except a 7/8 of  inch tube on the nils wich is about 3/4 inside Dia .. guessing similar Dom tubing will work?? Then just mount flat stock 1x .25 x what ever blade mounting lenght should be?? But need to get good look at blades to see if at angle to ice as in ceartin parts of the blade touch were other dont.. or is flat against ice when it cut ice?? So if you hot pictures please post for ideas..

Chipper blades need to be flat, and work completly different then the shaver blades. It would be extremely cool if Nils would have a cutting head made that would be a chipper style though.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:12 PM »
The blades do sit at a 90 degree. They bolt down flat and the blade itself sticks up with a bend in it.
<===Lefty===

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:29 PM »

Running a drill in reverse can void's warranty and can burn out a drill motor.. /wreck a gear box.. that was from the rigid warranty and operation manual that was read at..

Also I think these chipper blades are cw jiffy chipper blades .. not ccw chipper blade like the current models are.. I may be wrong though?? See link.. for Cw chipper blades..

Also I think I am bored and I hate paying $30 just to sharpen a nils head or $100 to replace it so just though I would mess with a little idea..  and try the blades at this link might try it on a cord less drill will see..

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Jiffy-10-39-39-Ice-Auger-Blade-Teeth-for-2130-drill-Model-50-90-only-/142647140806?txnId=1487096526004

Thank you for clarifying.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:47 PM »

Chilly, why not just go to a machine shop.....have them build a cutting head that inserts into the nils auger which can take a Jiffy or strikemaster chipper blade. I'm guessing it would be fairly easy to do. A simple tube with a point, round steel disk, and a little flighting, and it's pretty much done.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:50 PM »
It would be extremely cool if Nils would have a cutting head made that would be a chipper style though.

Was thinking about you and your quest for a 10 inch hand auger..  so I sent you a pm about these blades..  might be worth a shot to build a chipper head.. that you can throw on your nils?? With out modifiing auger it's self..  tell you the truth those are the last and only blades I seen like this right hand cut direction un like current ones that cut left handed..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Chilly, why not just go to a machine shop.....have them build a cutting head that inserts into the nils auger which can take a Jiffy or strikemaster chipper blade. I'm guessing it would be fairly easy to do. A simple tube with a point, round steel disk, and a little flighting, and it's pretty much done.

That what's happening.. only problem is strike mater blades are on a angle were jiffy are flat I am assuming and and jiffy blades cut back words compared to nils heads on jiffys current blades so you would have to flip the flightings voiding nils warranty and a bigger pain in arse then worth..  but found a small quantity of right hand cut blades that will work with our changing flighting direction..

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2018, 01:28 PM »
I owned a 10" mora hand auger... I was in my 20's and that thing was a man killer.. I think I paid $150 for it...I sold it after two trips for $25 in the want adds....now 40 years latter...if I need a 10" hole my ancient jiffy model 30 fills the bill nicely.. the rest of the work is done silently by my ion 8"... good luck on your endeavor.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2018, 01:48 PM »

Never heard of that...

I run mine with right and left hand drills..

With wire wheels in whatever direction suits the job...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:01 PM »
I just read everything in this manual..

Only thing I can find is that it says the drill was not designed to hammer in reverse... Probably because the ratcheting teeth to make it hop, are one way only.. But you can run it in hammer mode in reverse, you just won't be getting any hammer action..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2018, 02:06 PM »
Also, before you move forward...

There is no way to reverse the flights, flipping the bit upside down, they will still turn the same to work the same..

To reverse the flights, you would have to remove them from the shaft, and completely fabricate new flights..

There are augers out there that move metal chips in CNC machines, maybe you can use a section of one of those?

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2018, 04:35 PM »
Also, before you move forward...

There is no way to reverse the flights, flipping the bit upside down, they will still turn the same to work the same..

To reverse the flights, you would have to remove them from the shaft, and completely fabricate new flights..

There are augers out there that move metal chips in CNC machines, maybe you can use a section of one of those?

<°)))>{

Yup I know.   if you read that link those blades cut clock wise.. this is  cause there old stock the current stock of blades from jiffy cut counter clock wise..

this means the ones I bought cut same way as nils heads turn same as most hand auger blades turn.. 

I think that's were I read it was about hammer drill but your not running in hammer mode lol's.. 

So no Need to change the flighting of the auger cause they are old stock blades.. just got to make a auger head to see if it works??

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:55 AM »
 You'll have to control depth of cut. In your picture the round ring does that.   On a shaver style blade the heel of the blade in relation to the edge controls depth of cut.   Also the ripper blades in your picture won't hold up as well as a conventional chipper blade. 
  Before you invest any more time on the idea you could put a handle on a Kdrill and see how well it works. I'm thinking not so good as you need the RPMs to cut.   Dulled chipper blades work to a certain point but have endless power from an engine.  You know that guy that takes 5 minutes to drill a hole.  If your hand drilling you'll give up.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:16 PM »
You'll have to control depth of cut. In your picture the round ring does that.   On a shaver style blade the heel of the blade in relation to the edge controls depth of cut.   Also the ripper blades in your picture won't hold up as well as a conventional chipper blade. 
  Before you invest any more time on the idea you could put a handle on a Kdrill and see how well it works. I'm thinking not so good as you need the RPMs to cut.   Dulled chipper blades work to a certain point but have endless power from an engine.  You know that guy that takes 5 minutes to drill a hole.  If your hand drilling you'll give up.

Wondering same thing My self and think your right that's why I don't want to buy a k drill.. but think they need a better design on the nils heads.. for one they cost a arm  and a leg another is sharpening them..  you got to pay to have it done no mater what.. you also have the problems of dirty ice with blades going dull and not being able to open old holes with their heads.  If they came up with more sharpening facilities maybe they would sell more??  or come up with a tougher head with replaceable blades instead of replacing whole head??  That's when people notice that sharpening and replacement is expensive as they are.. there not going to keep buying them.. and the failure of a company from lack of sales happens..

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:00 AM »
  You most certainly can open old holes with a Nils.  Coming up with a better design? Its that design that sets Nils apart from all others.
 That blade has been around for a very long time and its not going anywhere.   We have a local bait shop here with a blade exchange for SM Jiffy, and MO for $30. $39 without exchange.  Thats not so cheep either.

I've thought about making an auger that cuts out a cylinder.  But you can't leave them laying around on the ice.  Sell round blocks of ice, in the winter? :)

I'm not discouraging you on your quest to design another blade system.  Just pointing out some basic points to take into consideration that might result in pulling out less hair.  Might be better take brand X auger, remove 1/4" along the cutting edge and attach carbide inserts.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:47 AM »
Marine General has the Strikemaster 10.25" (chipper blade) replacement drill for $79.99. Looks like a good place for you to start.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:48 PM »

We have a local bait shop here with a blade exchange for SM Jiffy, and MO for $30. $39 without exchange.  Thats not so cheep

About same price as a nils sharpening job with shipping ??

I've thought about making an auger that cuts out a cylinder.  But you can't leave them laying around on the ice.  Sell round blocks of ice, in the winter? :)

Is that a coffe can with a piece of carbide on side of can as the cutter for the edge of the can type of deal??

You most certainly can open old holes with a Nils.  Coming up with a better design? Its that design that sets Nils apart from all others.
 That blade has been around for a very long time and its not going anywhere. 

Ya it cuts well but there are problems with the head i am sure you are aware of them. Like cost of the head  and sharpening avaibility to sharpen the head..  so how many people still sharpen them?? And what's the avarge cost to replace the head?  and what's the cost to sharpen them?
Then compare the replacement and sharpening cost of a sm type curved blade to a nils wich one is cheaper to maintain.  I know nils won't last long if you hit dirty ice same with strike master..  when you compare costs there's not much left for nils for trying to sell some thing..  when it tougher to have sharpeNed and more expensive then strike master curved blades .. at that point wich do you think the consumer will chose once they figure it all out?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:00 PM »
Why not a Mora again?

Suck to hand drill?

<°)))>{

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Why not a Mora again?

Suck to hand drill?

<°)))>{

Was thinking that but the nils was easier to try it out with out modifiing the auger and volding warranty type stuff lol'slike wont be able to sell it after words  all that is going on is a head change on the nils. Just pulling red cutting head off..    then  putting different cutting head on.. in other words. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.