The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: got a free auger - what do I have here?  (Read 5577 times)

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
got a free auger - what do I have here?
« on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:40 PM »
A generous fellow citizen in my area has given me a free ice auger so I can try ice fishing.  I haven't done anything with it besides verify that the motor turns over (feels like compression is good).  Have not cleaned it up or fueled it.  Want to find out what I have here, and steps to get it running.  I know NOTHING about ice augers, but I've fixed small engines before.

Previous owner was gifted it as well, so provenance is cloudy and if all I have is scrap metal, at least it was free!

Magnum III Plus ice auger

8" Mora auger.  Some rust on the blade.  Should I just touch up the blade with some silicon carbide sandpaper to get the rust off?

Tecumseh TC300-3026C-02426 engine

The label calls for 5 oz of 2-cycle oil per gallon of gas, which makes it 24:1 mix, but some manuals I have downloaded indicate this engine takes 50:1.  Go by the tag, right?

The gas tank has fallen off and I can't immediately see how to fasten it back to the motor body.  Fuel lines look OK; I'll probably spray some Seafoam to get it running the first time

I assume there should be some sort of air filter before the carb body?

Basically anything you can tell me about this thing would be helpful.  I plan to attack it this Saturday to see if I can get it running.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: got a free auger - what do I have here?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:47 PM »
I'd go by the tag on the motor when it comes to the mix ratio.  I've seen the mix ratio 24:1 years ago on the Tecumseh motors.  The first thought I had looking at the blades is they're Jiffy blades.  Are there any other stickers or plates on the motor with model and serial number information?  If there is could you please post it because it may give more information.  I would also take the blades off and look for identifying information on them.  My first guess is someone put a Jiffy bit on this power head. 

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:51 PM »
pretty sure jiffys spin the opposite direction.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Strikemaster auger, but likely an old bit with different blade design.  Can search internet for OPE or Strikemaster for possible parts.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:57 PM »
I use a synthetic covers all mix ratio ...I prefer Opti 2 ...mix some SeaFoam and good to go...

Drock ice has carburetors should that one be to far gone ..give them a call

http://drockicecenter.com/

my buddy got one from them for a carb that just would not be rebuilt ...the previous owner used it as a post hole digger so dirt/dust may have worked its way into the carburetor  ...also the carb nut loosened and went into the cylinder ..luckily no damage ...a lil TLC and carb good to go . The carb should have a sponge type filter which needs to be oil saturated to grab dust and work properly . That is a Chipper style blade ..can be sharpened by hand with patience and practice.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:59 PM »
  Tank is hold on with two springs and a band between them.   Blade is a chipper blade and by the looks of it its gong to need sharpening.
Pop the plastic cover off the air cleaner and pull the cleaner off.    Operate the choke and know its orientation.  You have a diaphragm carburetor and chances are the dias are dry and you'll need to prime it to start and probably repeatedly till its pumping and metering fuel.   Pour about a teaspoon of  mixed gas into the carbs throat. Turn the switch to on(up) and pull it over.   Its going to fire and die. Prime again and repeat.   If you can getting to stay running fine otherwise the carb will need cleaning and a rebuild kit.  Fuel mix. I know it says 24:1 but you can go 50:1 with a good synthetic oil like Amzoil Saber.    Need more help just ask.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:03 PM »
 One more thing.  If you take the carb off pay attension to the spring that connects the governor to the throttle linkage and note how the plunger operates the throttle because its impossible to explain over the internet.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:10 PM »
I'm reading different opinions on the mix ratio.  Some saying the newer Strikemasters can be run on 40:1 or 50:1 as long as it's synthetic oil, but old ones still need 24:1.  Some say 24:1 sprays unburned oil out the exhaust and is way too rich for smooth performance.

I have some Echo 50:1 premix for for weedwhacker, or I could mix a fresh batch of 24:1 with Stihl 2-cycle oil.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:13 AM »
This is definitely not a newer auger, no where near it, and I'd stick to the ratio that's on the plate on the motor. 

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:01 AM »
A generous fellow citizen in my area has given me a free ice auger so I can try ice fishing.  I haven't done anything with it besides verify that the motor turns over (feels like compression is good).  Have not cleaned it up or fueled it.  Want to find out what I have here, and steps to get it running.  I know NOTHING about ice augers, but I've fixed small engines before.

Previous owner was gifted it as well, so provenance is cloudy and if all I have is scrap metal, at least it was free!

Magnum III Plus ice auger

8" Mora auger.  Some rust on the blade.  Should I just touch up the blade with some silicon carbide sandpaper to get the rust off?

Tecumseh TC300-3026C-02426 engine

The label calls for 5 oz of 2-cycle oil per gallon of gas, which makes it 24:1 mix, but some manuals I have downloaded indicate this engine takes 50:1.  Go by the tag, right?

The gas tank has fallen off and I can't immediately see how to fasten it back to the motor body.  Fuel lines look OK; I'll probably spray some Seafoam to get it running the first time

I assume there should be some sort of air filter before the carb body?

Basically anything you can tell me about this thing would be helpful.  I plan to attack it this Saturday to see if I can get it running.

(Image removed from quote.)

it is a strike master. they were made from like 1990 to early 2000's then strikemaster made the switch to the solo engines. my first gas auger was a 1991 MagnumIII. Most parts can still be found for them especially if you search online. send me a PM with a email address for you and I can send you a PDF copy of the service and repair manual for this auger. also as for oil mixture the old mixture was 24 to 1 but when I had mine I ran it 80 to 1 using the amsoil  full synthetic 2 cycle oil and had no issues.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Fisher Kat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:21 AM »
I have one of those.  Got a new clutch from Strike Master a couple years ago with no problem.  I run mine at 50:1 with a good 2 cycle oil.  I couldn't open the pics, but my Mag III spins clock wise.  Jiffy's spin counter clockwise. Good luck with it!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:08 PM »
What does the engraving say that's between the bolts that hold the blade on?

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:25 PM »
Call Strikemaster on the fuel ratio.   I recall their was a service bulletin changing from 24:1 to 40:1  which made for a lot less mess and not as much smoke plus better running.  I run 80:1 Amsoil Sabre in my auger, weed wacker, chainsaw and everything.  Nice just using 1 gas can.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2017, 01:37 PM »
X2 what Old Bear said.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Call Strikemaster on the fuel ratio.   I recall their was a service bulletin changing from 24:1 to 40:1  which made for a lot less mess and not as much smoke plus better running.  I run 80:1 Amsoil Sabre in my auger, weed wacker, chainsaw and everything.  Nice just using 1 gas can.

I'm searching for a contact phone # for Strikemaster and I keep getting re-directed to a Rapala website - did they get bought out?  Does anyone have a valid # for me to call?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:59 PM »
I'm searching for a contact phone # for Strikemaster and I keep getting re-directed to a Rapala website - did they get bought out?  Does anyone have a valid # for me to call?

Yes several companies are under the umbrella of Rapala.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:02 PM »
I'd replace the fuel lines and filter in the gas tank just for good luck. Only takes a few minutes and can sidestep an early headache.
If it runs a little rough I'd also put in a carb rebuild kit, same reasons. I prefer fastest way to good running two cycles!

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • live in Canton Mich grew up on clarklake
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:37 PM »
I run tru fuel 40:1 In my mag 3 Strikemaster no problems I leave the fuel in it in the off season it starts rite up 4 ice fishing seasons without a problem

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:45 PM »
X2 maizen

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Does it look like this?

<°)))>{

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:17 PM »
Does it look like this?

<°)))>{

looks similar but my muffler is different than yours

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:35 PM »
found 10 free minutes today to mess with this thing.  Bungee-corded the gas tank on the frame, mixed up some fresh 24:1 synthetic and put a few ounces into the tank.  First problem, pretty good leak between the gas tank and fuel line.  Second problem, the fuel line is rigid and sticking straight up which puts the fuel filter above the fuel line unless the tank is full.  I'll replace the fuel line an filter (hopefully tomorrow) and see what's next.

Other things I noted-

I thought my auger was missing an air intake filter, but then I read this in the manual " Most models of 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines use an air cleaner except engines that run in clean environments like snow throwers or ice augers. On these applications, a filter is not necessary and could collect snow or moisture and prevent proper engine operation. " so can I safely suck air straight into the carb without a filter?

I believe I have a TC300-series engine and a Walbro diaphragm carb.  Reading the manual, but any tips appreciated.  The choke seems to have three fixed positions - nearest to the body is full choke? then half choke, then run?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2017, 07:50 PM »
Yeah, that's one of the best engines ever made for an ice drill.. Pretty light weight too..

Mine cuts 2 inches a second, still over 25 years later..

Your tank was held on with a spring that stretched around it..

Seafoam her real good, new gas lines, and a plug and I'll bet she purrs...

<°)))>{

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2017, 10:03 AM »
is there supposed to be a rubber grommet between the fuel line and gas tank, or does the filter just press-fit into the tank?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Rebuild kit for a Walbro carbureator is cheap and a 5 - 10 minute job to put in. Several You Tube videos on it - very simple.

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2017, 07:55 PM »
Installed a new fuel line, fuel filter, and spark plug today.  Poured a couple capfuls of Seafoam in the air intake.  Pulled the starter about 20x on full choke to get it to puke up the Seafoam, then she burped and was off and running!  I backed off the idle speed screw to prevent the auger from turning at idle.  Here's a video of the running behavior.  I don't have any thick ice in my yard to test it on, so I just revved it a few times.  Is this about typical for the throttle response for this engine?  I've never used an ice auger before, so I'm not sure what to expect.  The other 2-stroke engines I've used are a chainsaw and string trimmer, which have a lot less rotational inertia than this 8" auger bit.

https://goo.gl/photos/9btBvCJos9YFsVw96

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Seemed good to me plus you held it practically horizontal and didn't miss a beat ...now if the blade is sharp you should be aces .

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Sounds great man!! You might be able to bring to the idle down more, especially after a little run time with seafoam..

This is my Eskimo, same exact engine, but with shaver blades, 2 inches a second..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1MWRyYBSw00

<°)))>{

Offline renekowski

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:06 AM »
it is a strike master. they were made from like 1990 to early 2000's then strikemaster made the switch to the solo engines. my first gas auger was a 1991 MagnumIII. Most parts can still be found for them especially if you search online. send me a PM with a email address for you and I can send you a PDF copy of the service and repair manual for this auger. also as for oil mixture the old mixture was 24 to 1 but when I had mine I ran it 80 to 1 using the amsoil  full synthetic 2 cycle oil and had no issues.

Can you email me that manual my email is [email protected]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.