Author Topic: You know its cold when....  (Read 2178 times)

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
You know its cold when....
« on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:39 AM »
Schools are being delayed and cancelled around the state because of the temperature, not snow! My school had a 2 hour delay because of the -20 to -30 windchill... Even though its still -5*f here in nashua. Should have made some serious ice last night. The weekend is looking very promising for my first time out this year. Tight lines fellas be safe out there!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: You know its cold when....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:45 AM »
 People in states where it REALY gets cold must think this is funny.... people will have their kids snow boarding and skiing in the mountains in a lot colder.....more "dangerous" temperatures...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:50 AM »
My old highschool still sends their kids...berlin was -42 this morning... when I was a kid they would send someone to the state barn to start the buses every hour...what's next too high of a pollen count?
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:51 AM »
More schools are closing or having delays because of lawsuits against them.   They are afraid that if Little Billy gets frostbite because he had to wait outside for the bus, the parents will sue the school.  :P
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:52 AM »
We are creating a nation of wimps.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:54 AM »
I drive to school, but last year or the year before they cancelled school in nashua because the busses wouldnt start.. Time to start plugging those diesels in!! Thats the biggest reason i like my gasser in the winter... No glow plugs to warm up and no hard starts on cold mornings.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Troutpursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:57 AM »
You go to open the third door to your truck and the handle splits in two and the door remains closed.   :unsure:

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:08 AM »
HD with the 2 hour delay you should have poked a few holes this morning and did some jigging..  ;D

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:09 AM »
our grandfathers are rolling in there graves if it wasn't for rugged types we would be speaking German you hit the nail on the head dr gee also x2 on parents suing the school our nation is in trouble

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:36 AM »
Yup

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:12 AM »
i didnt get out jigging but i did check a few ponds in southern nh... ill definitely be fishing this weekend ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:30 AM »
When you go to the kitchen sink to fill your coffee pot and turning on the faucet doesn't do anything... at least the bathroom plumbing was still flowing.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline PapaAthona

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:52 AM »
My father walked 10 miles uphill to school in these conditions......both ways.  At least that's how he puts it.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:32 AM »
More schools are closing or having delays because of lawsuits against them.   They are afraid that if Little Billy gets frostbite because he had to wait outside for the bus, the parents will sue the school.  :P

Little Billy got frostbite because Billy's mom and/or dad didn't care to buy Billy winter clothes because Billy wanted a Xbox, or Billy was too stupid to know that -20 is really cold and he should dress appropriately!!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Billy was too stupid to know that -20 is really cold and he should dress appropriately!!!!

I have two sons in HS, a Jr and a Sr.  You think either one of those morons wore a hat or coat today after their 2 hr delay?  Not a chance.  A hat would mess up their 'fade' and a jacket would mess with their 'swag' and ruin their 'cred'. 

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:54 AM »
I have two sons in HS, a Jr and a Sr.  You think either one of those morons wore a hat or coat today after their 2 hr delay?  Not a chance.  A hat would mess up their 'fade' and a jacket would mess with their 'swag' and ruin their 'cred'.
haha.. i gave up on the "swag" thing a while ago.. 5AM baseball workouts before school at 7 make it hard to care how you look. ahhhh the life of a student athlete  ::)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:00 PM »
same here at school today....kids running around in shorts and t shirts ...im the same...only time I wear a coat is ice fishing...I really don't even own a winter coat...everything is a shell of some sort that can be layered underneath
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:45 PM »
too funny... if I had kids and they were kept out of school due to it being "too cold" ... I'd take them fishing!!! but... then I'd probably get arrested or screamed at by all the "oprah mom's/dads" out there for being the worst parent ever and they'd want to tar and feather me or something...   crazy!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:51 PM »

Exactly. It was -12 here yesterday, actual temp, with a -35 WC. All the schools in town, along with all bus services, closed. Second time this year. Many city services closed up. The outlying schools and country areas were open, they criticized the heck out of us for it. In northern Minnesota, where is was REALLY cold, schools were 2 hours late. It's MINNESOTA, for cripes sake. With all the info and clothing types available today, you can't dress the kiddies warm enough to run to the bus?!  Piffle.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:16 PM »
Exactly. It was -12 here yesterday, actual temp, with a -35 WC. All the schools in town, along with all bus services, closed. Second time this year. Many city services closed up. The outlying schools and country areas were open, they criticized the heck out of us for it. In northern Minnesota, where is was REALLY cold, schools were 2 hours late. It's MINNESOTA, for cripes sake. With all the info and clothing types available today, you can't dress the kiddies warm enough to run to the bus?!  Piffle.  ::)
People would rather spend their welfare on the newest phone that they'll use for a couple years than spend it on warm clothing they'll be using a lot longer.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2015, 01:23 PM »
My kid thought it was dumb. She even said "that's what jackets are for!"

I guess I'm doing something right, anyway...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline kl3377

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:34 PM »
My backyard ice rink is freezing over faster than I can fill it up.
 My six year old left hockey practice in a cold truck last night all sweaty wearing shorts and a hoodie.  Definitely my boy.
A watched lake never freezes.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2015, 05:12 PM »
 ::) :tipup:  I have to travel to southern NH for less ice and warmer temperature!! :P
Dick

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Soccer moms, equal rights, and everyone needed to feel good about themselves is causes us to go backwards ! Let's face it we don't keep score in youth sports cause we don't want kids to know they lose ! Making a generation of pu@&"ies....

But look on the bright side, all these choices ended us with Obama!

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:21 PM »
All too true. I had no problem going into school today, and as everyone around me complains of the cold, im just thinking about all the ice being made ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Soccer moms, equal rights, and everyone needed to feel good about themselves is causes us to go backwards ! Let's face it we don't keep score in youth sports cause we don't want kids to know they lose ! Making a generation of pu@&"ies....

But look on the bright side, all these choices ended us with Obama!

Yep :-\
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2015, 06:33 AM »
HD - where do you get bait around Nashua besides Brookline?  Good luck tomorrow
Good things come to those who Bait!

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2015, 06:48 AM »
Marks bait off of lake street or granite state rod and reel.. Granite state has better hours and better service than mark... But marks is cheaper by $1.50 per medium dozen and closer to me so i go there. Both good options

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:07 AM »
HD - where do you get bait around Nashua besides Brookline?  Good luck tomorrow
I went to Granite State Rod and Reel last night, $4.50/dozen for shiners that were roughly medium sized. Pete's in Hudson was supposed to get shiners yesterday, but he said his delivery never showed up. He said he would probably get them today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.