Author Topic: You Can Smell the Cold air coming  (Read 1007 times)

Offline bngalloNHVTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
You Can Smell the Cold air coming
« on: Sep 23, 2013, 06:42 PM »
I realize it is only the end of September, but it will hopefully only be a short time until the ice is back out there!

Someone recently told me though, that I guess (according to farmer's almanac) this is going to be an EXTREMELY cold and snowy winter! Now I realize this is farmer's almanac, but I just wanted to gauge everyone's thoughts on this!

Thanks again! I look forward to getting out on the ice as soon as it comes!

bngalloNHVTfish

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: You Can Smell the Cold air coming
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2013, 06:52 PM »
x2 I can smell the cold in the air. Im ready for it now. I don't hunt so i will fish until there is ice then fish some more..... The ice is coming no doubt.
Salmonemia

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2013, 08:59 AM »
Hope those farmers know what is up! Ice before X-mas would be awesome.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2013, 10:57 AM »
Sorry guys. Don't mean to burst your bubble, but the farmers almanac is the LAST thing I go by. I go by what hits the ground and how cold it gets. Let's face it, even the farmers are at the mercy or ol' mother nature. And they think they can predict what she's going to do?! It's been wrong more than its been right from where I sit. I remember a year they said a bad winter and January 1st I was out pulling a tree stand in a t shirt. Yes, a t shirt. It was 65 out that day in Brookline. Just saying, believe what you will. We will have ice, I have no doubt. And there will be snow, there usually is. The questions lie as to how much, how soon and where? Just the way it is here in the 6oh3. My .02
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2013, 11:00 AM »
I smell what your stepping in........

But still hoping for some cold weather early! Love fishing first ice on trout ponds.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2013, 04:58 PM »
You can keep track of the progress of the ice here.

http://espcgis.nesdis.noaa.gov/website/ssdsnow/viewer.htm

I smell what your stepping in........

I can smell it too.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2013, 06:49 PM »
Was reading the other day that Mount Washington had snow....and a wind chill of 1 degree above 0 ..it won't be long..
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline H82LUZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2013, 06:58 PM »
Now don't get me wrong fellas. I'm wishin for an early freeze just as much as the next guy. I just don't put much salt in that ol' book as many do. If you want to know if its going to be an early freeze this is a sure fire way you'll know. If you're standing on ice in December in the middle of a lake, it's early! LOL! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Thank you to all of you.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2013, 07:22 PM »
Never read the almanac nor
 Do I care to. Cold weather is coming
You can smell it in the air and see it in the leaves.
 The ice is coming no doubt. People are excited for it to get here. Hell I been watching this site everyday
 Since ice out. Can't get enough of this sport.

Salmonemia

Offline bngalloNHVTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2013, 08:08 PM »
I agree, the farmer's almanac is no sure-fire foretelling of how the winter is going to play out, I usually gauge the number of acorns, but I think it is still a bit to early for those to hit the ground

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2013, 08:21 AM »
I tracked the almanac for a few years, and it was never very accurate, so I don't put any stock in it either.

One of my favorite sights this time of year is when I'm driving to work and I see the steam coming off the little ponds and river I drive past.  ;D
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.