Author Topic: Little CAMAS  (Read 2800 times)

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Little CAMAS
« on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Love to Ice Fish at Little CAMAS (of course when there is water and trout in it ;) Anyone know if there is any ice fishing there this season?  I know it is hit or miss from year to year so just curious.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Little CAMAS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2017, 08:52 PM »
Last stocking was in 2012. I don't think it has had enough water after it dried up to restock.

Offline Adventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2017, 06:37 PM »
As of Sat Dec 23rd, 2017:

8 inches of ice, +/- an inch, from 15 feet to 120' from shore.

Approximately 3-5" of snow on top of ice. Hwy 20 is clear, you'll need 4x4 from hwy20 to lake.

In an hour or so on ice, had multiple bites, with one medium sized trout.

Two months back, October 2017, 18" trout were common, and catching limit in few hours was normal. The reservoir had algae for most of summer so there was no fishing pressure at all, which allowed trout to get up in size. And a good water year helped.

Any other Q's, let me know.

Offline turdfurgeson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Thank you Adventure. Great info!

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2017, 10:58 PM »
Hi Adventure, hey I sent you a personal message

Offline doingmypartagainstbirdflu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2017, 01:36 PM »
Were is that at

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Great to hear!  I stared this thread sometime ago...one of my favorite places, especially when I lived in Mtn Home when I was in the service.  Good to hear!  I know that road from Hwy 20 can get real sloppy once you get above freezing so good advice on the 4x4.  Took this photo on Little Camas some years ago (2011) the last time we had any ice fishing to speak of there.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.  ~Doug Larson

Offline Adventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2017, 02:38 PM »
Hi Adventure, hey I sent you a personal message
Replied

Offline Adventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2017, 02:43 PM »
Were is that at

Small reservoir 24 miles north of Mountain Home. Same hwy as going to Sun Valley from Boise. Easy to find on gmaps.

Offline Adventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2017, 02:52 PM »
Great to hear!  I stared this thread sometime ago...one of my favorite places, especially when I lived in Mtn Home when I was in the service.  Good to hear!  I know that road from Hwy 20 can get real sloppy once you get above freezing so good advice on the 4x4.  Took this photo on Little Camas some years ago (2011) the last time we had any ice fishing to speak of there.

Fall fishing had been great, hopefully ice fishing will continue like fall catch rates were.

This is from yesterday, don't stay long due to other constraints, but will return soon.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2017, 03:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing the photos...love that place.  I have great memories of Ice-Fishing there with a bunch of my Air Force buddies, including one guy who is no longer with us.  Nice to see, I need to to make a trip to my old Elmore County Stopping Grounds! Thanks, Merry Christmas!

Offline RustynMtnHome

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2017, 09:23 PM »
Took a trip out to Little Camas today .... there is 6" of clear ice .... with some slush on top but not that bad.

Heading out Sunday to do some actual fishing with hopefully some catching, will update accordingly

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:56 AM »
Took a trip out to Little Camas today .... there is 6" of clear ice .... with some slush on top but not that bad.

Heading out Sunday to do some actual fishing with hopefully some catching, will update accordingly
Thanks, interested to hear how it is going up there.  Also let us know how the road is between Hwy 20 to the lake?  I have seen folks get stuck out there when they leave in the afternoon once the temps get above freezing and that road gets real muddy and sloppy...stay safe and have fun!

Offline idtrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:18 PM »
Fished it yesterday ice is approx 8" thick the road into the lake is open and not a problem. Was very windy and fishing was very slow so I'm curious how others will do because for me it was not very productive.

Offline RustynMtnHome

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2017, 12:44 PM »
Been here about 1.5 hrs, no bites yet.

Fishing in about 15' of water .... First time out here so not sure exactly where to start for depth and location

No wind today ... Bright and sunny and lots of ice popping

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:08 PM »
I used to have great luck at Little CAMAS using a night crawler on a single hook with a split shot or two and fishing several feet off the bottom.  Also a chrome color Swedish Pimple with a piece of night crawler on it using a jigger totter has always worked for me on those stocked trout up there.

Offline RustynMtnHome

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Update .... Was out about 4 hrs and not one nibble .... didn't mark any on the Vexilar either.

Not much snow there, the road into the parking area is clear, the parking area isn't plowed but no issue getting in there.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2018, 09:25 AM »
Thanks for the reports!  I have put in a request to add this place to R&C board.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Slayder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:01 PM »
Over the 1/13 weekend we were on Camas for 3hrs fishing on mealworms and regular worms, two bites is all we got - no fish caught.

Another group gave up after 2 hrs, also nothing.

10in of solid ice.

Offline IDAHOAUGER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:08 PM »
Over the 1/13 weekend we were on Camas for 3hrs fishing on mealworms and regular worms, two bites is all we got - no fish caught.

Another group gave up after 2 hrs, also nothing.

10in of solid ice.
Sorry to hear that :-\ I can remember a time where we could not keep up with the number of trout we were pulling out of the holes. Anyway, thanks for the update...still good to get out on the ice..even if you don't catch anything... although it would be nice right..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.