Author Topic: gps  (Read 875 times)

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
gps
« on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:04 PM »
as anyone use a hand held gps with navionics I have navionics on my phone but would like to have it on my gps don't know how to do that

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
Re: gps
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2014, 05:08 AM »
I have a Garmin handheld GPS and use it but you aren't going to get the Navionics chip for $10 for it like you can get the app for your smartphone.

There is a way to put maps on a Garmin handheld GPS for free which involves downloading a program from Garmin called Basecamp, then downloading map files from gpsfiledepot.com. Once you have your map files downloaded and you have your GPS plugged into your computer and it is recognized by the Basecamp program, then you can upload the map files onto your Garmin handheld.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:05 PM »
I'm willing to be wrong but I don't think Basecamp is a marine based program but rather a topographic land based one. Navionics chips are EXPENSIVE. Try find them used on evil bay.

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2014, 07:55 AM »
I'm willing to be wrong but I don't think Basecamp is a marine based program but rather a topographic land based one. Navionics chips are EXPENSIVE. Try find them used on evil bay.

Your not wrong, in this instance Bathymetric or Topo doesn't matter, I'm using Basecamp to do nothing other than moving the file I downloaded to my GPS unit. If you download map files from gpsfiledepot.com; a lot of the files need Basecamp to upload to your Garmin gps unit.  My Garmin 62s uses gpx file sets and not all the file sets you can download are in that format. By downloading them into Basecamp they can be modified to the gpx format then uplaoded to a Garmin. There are plenty of tutorials on gpsfiledepot to teach you to do this operation and many other in Basecamp.

There are a metric butt load of map sets out there that are free! If you can get map file sets already in the gpx format it's as easy as plugging your Garmin into your computer and transferring them to the GPX file on your Garmin.

For instance; the ND Game and Fish has a GPX map set for Garmin units that not only have lake maps of the lakes they stock but also a base map of the whole state of ND with towns, cities and streets, plus all the various hunting units plus all the state, federal and private land open to public hunting. The files set that Navionics uses for the lakes of ND are virtually the same as the ones in the NDGF map set.

FREE IS BETTER, it just takes a little work!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.