The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: George town Stock plan..WOW  (Read 1386 times)

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
George town Stock plan..WOW
« on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:43 PM »
I was looking at the FWP stock plan for George town lake. Now I understand why the fishing is so good for the salmon. They (FWP) stock the lake with 105,000(Kokanee) fish every year. Did not see what the stock plan was for trout or Brookies. And it looks to be there are no preditor fish in this lake, NICE! The question is.... are there any lunkers in there?

Offline Htech77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: George town Stock plan..WOW
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:47 PM »
I think they are expecting the state record brookie out of there sometime. Currently 9.06 lbs! Let's see it Ice Shantians ;D

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:11 PM »
I was looking at the FWP stock plan for George town lake. Now I understand why the fishing is so good for the salmon. They (FWP) stock the lake with 105,000(Kokanee) fish every year. Did not see what the stock plan was for trout or Brookies. And it looks to be there are no preditor fish in this lake, NICE! The question is.... are there any lunkers in there?

You mind letting us know where you found this??? Check the MT stocking report and haven't seen it for awhile. Last I saw was like in the 2002 report. I know they stock the heck out for rainbow and pretty sure still for koks too...on a side note, been trying hard for that record brookie, but mainly during soft water. Closest I got is 6.21lb @22" male, but this was about 4-5 years ago.  Ever since you can keep them haven't seen any reaching close to 5lbs, but still try!!!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:06 AM »
Exactly toolucky. They are all getting bonked. Took no time at all to see the decrease in the size of Brookies. I know it's just rhetoric but of all the people I've talked to about it, none say the bookies are getting bigger in Georgetown:( I'd like to learn more about the plan...did anyone have a link? Thanks for the post MThardh20.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:12 AM »
I found the 2011 plan, there is no mention of Kokes being planted in Georgetown, I think that 105k was a specific strain of bobo's.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:40 AM »
According to the MT Fisheries information system, Georgetown Lake has been stocked with 307,234 Brook Trout between 8/31/2005 and 6/28/2011, Mostly from the Giant Springs trout hatchery. The rainbow trout stocking was 1,259,526 and between the dates of 5/23/2005 to 6/23/2010. The FWP website has no record of rainbow trout stocking in 2011
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:00 AM »
http://fwpiis.mt.gov/dotNetApps/MFISH/Reports.aspx?LLID=1132915461814&begmeas=0&endmeas=1
Link to MFish data. Shows many rainbow stockings, a few brook trout stockings, and no salmon stockings.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:02 AM »
Well that didn't work but you can still go to MFish, http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/mFish/ and do a search by waterbody and select fish stocking and it will give a report with numbers and lengths of stockings that were done on that body of water.

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:16 PM »
Yes,MT Zoo fish. I think your right they maybe trout not Kokanee. #2 I still cannot find the code to spicies. Just assumed.

Offline WilleyBooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:13 PM »
Hey,

They don't stock kokanees in Georgetown as stated above. Kokanees reproduce there by themselves, too well, because they stunt out and never get bigger than a foot. I assume the lake trout population in G'Town is growing and that'll take care of the stunting problem.  ;)

For you folks who use mfish -  a FWP employee told me a few weeks ago that they quit updating mfish a year or two ago. So, stocking information for 2011 might not be in there and no stocking info at all for 2012 is in there. They abandoned mfish and are building a new data base but that project is 2 years behind. If you want recent stocking info, you have to get it the old way for now - contact the local fishery manager or the manager of the hatchery where the fish came from.

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:06 PM »
Fyi...here just some basic info from MT Field Guide for Kokanee.
 http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_AFCHA02040.aspx

Offline The Rezerend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:36 PM »
Thanks, WilleyBooger, I just figured that they were behind in updating their public data.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:26 AM »
Yes, thanks for the update on the MFish database. They could at least post a note on the site that they aren't updating it anymore and working on a new program.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2012, 01:48 PM »
Fresh water kokanee salmon, reproduce in fresh water? new to me

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2012, 04:32 PM »
Fresh water kokanee salmon, reproduce in fresh water? new to me
Yer jokin right?

Offline grizzlyjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:21 PM »
Whatever they are doing they need to keep it up I love fishing Georgetown...got two trips under my belt this year been really good

Offline montanahardwater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2012, 11:56 AM »
I was under the impression that stocked salmon, just like the ones in Helena Vally Reg Res were all stocked. that they were a sterile fish. All stocked by a hatchery under FWP regulations. Salmon returning from salt water back to fresh water, either native or a hatchery released fish, yes they spawn in fresh water. I get it. I was allways under the impression fresh water stocked salmon die off after 5-7 years, dont mature until then. and if they could spawn. they need to have Moving water, Creeks or river to assist with the spawn and fertilization process. is this happing in george town?

Offline WilleyBooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2012, 12:22 PM »
I don't know all the information on kokanees spawning at Georgetown Lake but they try to spawn in large numbers at the springs by the pump house in late October and November. I assume they produce offspring there, or there wouldn't be so many spawning every year. Easy fishing with orange or chartreuse leech fly or jig. There may be other springs where they spawn, or at least give it a try. They used to spawn in Stuart Mill Creek. FWP trapped out that population about 25 years ago but they started spawning there again about 7 years ago. FWP planned to trap out that population again but I don't know if they ever achieved that, or even actually attempted to trap them. I don't know if any spawn in the North Fork of Flint Creek but it could be a possibility.

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:39 PM »
There are a few more places they like to spawn.  Towards the dam, there is a small bay right off the highway that seems to be a popular spot.  Anywhere you find water that is more oxygenated, (springs, inlets, etc.) you find the spawners.  On the issue of sterility... GTL has not been stocked with salmon for some years.  Interestingly, people who were around when they first planted kokes say that the original fish were in the 1-2 pound range.  My grandfather, passed on now, was one of these people.  It would be cool if anyone could confirm this.  It has been, literally, decades since they were planted, seemingly enough time for the population boom/impact on growth. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.