The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fishing Lake Jean  (Read 10619 times)

Offline icefishing275

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing Lake Jean
« on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:04 PM »
I never fished and really never had the desire to fish here. But i heard this year that there are some nice fish and i want to fish it know. so if anybody can give me tips on to catch the panfish there and were iit would be greatly appreciated. ;D

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
Re: Fishing Lake Jean
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2010, 05:03 PM »
 Ask Byron, he's the expert on Lake Jean!  ::)
TEAM  PA.

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:39 AM »
I checked Jean today & it has a good 3 inches of solid ice & some light snow on some of it. If we get some rain out of this storm comming sunday & the three cold days after it should be good to go by friday.
Some pics.

Offline stormtrooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2010, 01:46 PM »
     If I lived nearby, I'd be on that 3 inches in a minute!

Offline BrewCrew27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2010, 03:50 PM »
if there was 3inches as of this morning, then making ice all day and all of tonight, there will be people on it saturday.

Offline icefishing275

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2010, 01:14 PM »
Ok... so me and a friend are going to fish Lake Jean next weekend because there will be about 4"-5" of ice. ;D
 BUT...... neither of us have ever fished Lake Jean so I was wondering were some hot spots are for panfish?  ???
If you can tell me any spots it would be greatly appreciated!!!! ;)

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Ok... so me and a friend are going to fish Lake Jean next weekend because there will be about 4"-5" of ice. ;D
 BUT...... neither of us have ever fished Lake Jean so I was wondering were some hot spots are for panfish?  ???

If you're going to fish for pannies, fish very early morning hours or late afternoon into the evening. Water is super clear there & the pannies don't hit good during the daylight hours. I have had good luck out from the dam in about 15 ft of water.

Offline slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:40 AM »
 BUT...... neither of us have ever fished Lake Jean so I was wondering were some hot spots are for panfish?  ???

I really think the hunt of finding the fish for yourself is just so much more rewarding. If it was a matter of sustaining your family i could certainly understand tho!!! tight lines.
YOU'RE IN MY HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline tribfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:38 AM »
If you're going to fish for pannies, fish very early morning hours or late afternoon into the evening. Water is super clear there & the pannies don't hit good during the daylight hours. I have had good luck out from the dam in about 15 ft of water.

IF275, 
Open your mouth wide and say "ahhh" you just been spoonfed. 
Whatever happened to doing your homework and figuring things out for yourself?

Gillholic,
Don't whine when 25 guys are in that spot Saturday.

TF

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:59 AM »
Wow  ???
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:44 AM »

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:12 PM »
Ask Byron, he's the expert on Lake Jean!

I almost choked on my tea................... .............thats funny :clap:

I love that lake, and hate it at the same time. About five years ago, I had one really good day - caught about 100 gills and perch - that was my one day................... ..Love it, but the truth is that most leave disapointed with the quality of the fishing. But in mid march on a warm sunny day when the swans are heading north, it dosn't get much better.

Good luck, move a bunch.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:34 PM »
I guess no one remembers the days before the internet....when it was "crowded" if there was 10-15 guys on the lake on a weekend and when quality perch were abundant.  Now I go there and see 15-20+ guys middle of the week, dink perch left to die on the ice after their eyes have been poked out to tip jigs, ect ect and the fishing isn't what it used to be IMHO.  :-\ :-\   Guess I'm just nuts for thinking spoonfeeding over the internet may have played a role in that  ::) ::)
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Yep.

Jean gets hit hard sometimes on a daily basis by the same guys. Keep hammering the lake and removing fish you end up with dinks and spooky fish.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2010, 04:35 PM »
you just have to fish a little harder
Dave

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:44 PM »
Hey Gillaholic...what color underwear should I be wearing when im fishin that spot??? :roflmao: :roflmao: :icefish:

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Living close to the lake, I fish it a lot. It is no secret that this lake freezes first and gets its share of anglers. However, when I fish during the week, I will most often have the place to myself until about noon.

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:30 PM »
A month or so In Jean is not a bad place to go. Any word on the ice after the rain?

Offline icefishing275

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2010, 06:08 AM »
A month or so In Jean is not a bad place to go. Any word on the ice after the rain?
There is a topic in pennsylvania reports and conditions about lake jean look there to see if they have any recent posts after the rain.

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:38 AM »
Hey Gillaholic...what color underwear should I be wearing when im fishin that spot??? :roflmao: :roflmao: :icefish:

Better wear camo so no one can see you if you decide to keep a fish-R-two! ::) ;)

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:47 AM »
Oh What ever you do, don't dare keep anything. The computer gods become enraged if fish are kept.

Offline bead head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:05 PM »
i was up this afternoon drilled two holes both had 4'' - 5'' ice .  time ta rip some lips !

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Oh What ever you do, don't dare keep anything. The computer gods become enraged if fish are kept.

I've been called a meat hunter quite a few times on here...trust me, I could care less if everyone goes and keeps their limits. You buy your license its up to you if you choose to keep your legal limit.

My problem is finding small perch scattered all over the place with their eyes poked out and that trend started up there shortly after it started getting posted on here how tipping jigs with perch eyes makes it deadly for big perch, like the ones that the lake USED TO produce regularly   ::) ::)

I used to think nothing of driving 140 miles EACH WAY to fish Lake Jean because it was never crowded and always produced nice perch. Now I live less than 30 miles and don't even bother more than once or twice a year. I can catch those 8-9" perch anywhere in the same "combat" fishing as up there.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:06 PM »
Keep all the fish you want. Just don't come home from the lake whining like a little girl that you can't catch fish like you used to. ;D I worked with guys like that, its annoying.

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:59 PM »
Keep all the fish you want. Just don't come home from the lake whining like a little girl that you can't catch fish like you used to. ;D I worked with guys like that, its annoying.

I agree
Dave

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:27 PM »
I never have any problem finding fish on Jean, just trying to poke some light at the reaming i took last year.

Offline BrewCrew27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2010, 02:46 AM »

AMEN

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2010, 09:20 AM »
hit it on the head, skihunter..meats meat and a mans gotta eat....theyre panfish...theyre plentiful..and delicious. all in moderation keep what youre gonna eat, period

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2010, 10:36 AM »

I'm assuming that's directed at me...I can count all the perch I've kept from the lake in the past 15 years on 1 hand (the only 1 was a slob just under 16" thats hanging in my parents den  ;D) ::) ::)   I very rarely ever kept fish from freshwater until a few years ago, never had a reason when I lived 10 minutes from the salt and had plenty of fresh flounder and seabass  ;D ;D

Even now I rarely keep perch. Usually only enough for a meal when I do. Crappies and eyes on the other hand I won't hesitate to take a limit  >:D >:D

Offline Gillaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Please don't take any perch fron Jean, There's only 500,000,000,000,000,000,004 Left in there! :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.