Author Topic: BWCA Lake Trout - More Video Highlights  (Read 505 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
BWCA Lake Trout - More Video Highlights
« on: Feb 07, 2018, 04:24 PM »
Underwater footage taken with Aqua-Vu of what happens down deep

I was using both my lines in my shelter (no tip-up outside):
- one with an artificial lure, usually a tube jig
- one with a minnow with a hook and spit-shot sinker.
The two holes are on either side of my boots.

It was very interesting to watch what happened.

Had a great day.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline throughtheroof

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: BWCA Lake Trout - More Video Highlights
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Love it!! I absolutely HATE how you can't take on screen info off aqua vu though! Marcum will be next for me.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:42 AM »
Thanks for a great vid!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:48 AM »
I can take most of the screen info off the Aqua-Vu. The exception is the bottom right corner, but that does not bother me. I like the small size of the Micro Revolution 5.0 and the cable reel that is built into the back of it. Makes deploying and storing it fast and simple.

My biggest complaint is that battery life is VERY dependent upon screen brightness and they have set the default at 6. I fish in a shelter and 2 works great. BUT, every time I turn it on I have to remember to reduce the brightness or it will limit battery life to 4-6 hours. One thing that I did that resolves any issue is to bring a small external cell phone battery charger (smaller than my iPhone) and use that as a auxiliary battery. I could go 10 hours of viewing/recording.

Here is a link: https://mashable.com/2013/02/21/jackery-external-battery-pack/#1OjkW5IAnEqh
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline snoprojoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:02 AM »
Unreal how the Trout had the tube completely engulfed and still the no hook set. wonder if a stringer hook would have helped any?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:33 AM »
I had the same question. I changed the jig head and placed a treble stinger over the eyelet of the jig head and then placed the whole thing inside the tube jig- so the stinger was in the skirt of the jig. After that, perhaps it was coincidence, they didn't hit the jig. My suspicion is that the stinger changed the action enough to make them cautious. I removed the stinger and they started biting it again.

My main idea, after all of this testing, is that a tube jig head with hooks on both front and back might be great - similar to a jigging Rapala with hooks on each end. If the bite is slow, I see MANY times that the fish bite on the tube jig head first and then spit it out before they reach the hook. A double hooked jig might catch some of them.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline RipLipp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:15 PM »
I was thinking along the same line as you. Have the hook in the front of the tube jig instead of behind.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Here is what I created to insert into the tube jig - a modified Rapala jig.  I removed the plastic tail and will lengthen the link to the bottom treble hook. 

This gives me a hook in front, behind and at the bottom. Should work well. The fish will make the final decision.
Veritas Odium Parit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.