Author Topic: Looking to buy a New shack... reccomendations?  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Jynx

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking to buy a New shack... reccomendations?
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:16 AM »
I'm looking at getting a new 2 man shack. I have nothing to pull it with on the ice so it would be hauled  by hand, soweight is a consideration. I know I want a flip over, and am looking at the following.  Frabill AEGIS 2250, ESKIMO SIERRA, Quickflip2, flipmo2, and the  OTTER XT CABIN.

I haven't really been looking at clams, as they seem to have a higher weight and cost for the size, compared to the others.

I drive a tacoma, which has a fairly short bed length.
Things I'm looking at is quality of materials/workmanship, durability,  ease of use and how well they pull thru snow/ slush.

Which way do you guys recommend, and why?
Any reviews from person as l experiences?

Any advice is helpful.

Thank you
JYNX

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking to buy a New shack... reccomendations?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:21 AM »
i have the sierra and like it real well lotsa of room for 2 people

Offline honest john

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:55 PM »
I just got an Eskimo Sierra Thermal this year and I love it.  Packed up it is 60 inches long.  Also with both seats, I believe it weighs 82 pounds.  I highly recommend a Smitty sled.  Not only can you easily pull it, but you can use the skiis as a ramp for loading and unloading.

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:59 AM »
Love my Otters

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:54 PM »
don't forget to look at shappell bay runner 2 and shappell fx200i. 76#'s. 72#'s for the non insulated.

i had a frabill and returned it.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2018, 01:55 AM »
A friend has a Polar Bird . It seems to be top quality and has a removable floor . Very nice !

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:28 AM »
I just got an Otter XT Pro Cabin, last weekend was the first time out with it and it is great. My previous flip over was a Frabill Trekker DLX. Going to the insulated Otter is great. The Otter is roughly 10lbs heavier  but I havent noticed it much. I installed the hyfax runners (had them on the Frabill too) and it pulls easy when there isnt much snow (if I am going a long distance on the ice I use an ATV but if its just a short walk, I will pull by hand). Besides being insulated, everything from the poles to the sled is a big upgrade. I have no complaints with the Frabill I had, it worked great for 7 or 8 years, but it was time to replace it and I got a great deal on the Otter

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2018, 03:44 PM »
I'm looking at getting a new 2 man shack. I have nothing to pull it with on the ice so it would be hauled  by hand, soweight is a consideration. I know I want a flip over, and am looking at the following.  Frabill AEGIS 2250, ESKIMO SIERRA, Quickflip2, flipmo2, and the  OTTER XT CABIN.

I haven't really been looking at clams, as they seem to have a higher weight and cost for the size, compared to the others.

I drive a tacoma, which has a fairly short bed length.
Things I'm looking at is quality of materials/workmanship, durability,  ease of use and how well they pull thru snow/ slush.

Which way do you guys recommend, and why?
Any reviews from person as l experiences?

Any advice is helpful.

Thank you
JYNX

Hello Jynx, I'm in a similar position, I'll be buying a either a new 1 man or 2 man flip shelter probably before next year, and I'm considering many of the same shelters you are. I made a big huge comparison chart of shelters that will fit in the back of my Forester that you might be interested in:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z5I0nsjJZGPsn5zUDKxPGBAWq6v5txhYKdJR1golvBg/edit?usp=sharing

I'm not quite done with it yet, but still has lots of info, I think.

I haven't made my decision yet, but am leaning toward the Sierra Thermal or the Frabil Bro Sidestep.

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2018, 09:19 PM »
Jynx, I would recommend the otter. I own a Fragill(pun intended) and an otter and the otter beats it in every way imaginable. Otter also has the best customer service from the reviews I've read.(Not needed on mine so far) The material is very thick and durable, and doesn't absorb water in the rain like other insulated shacks. Thier sleds are also super tough and will last a lifetime with the hyfax kit installed.(not needed if hand pulling)

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Hello Jynx, I'm in a similar position, I'll be buying a either a new 1 man or 2 man flip shelter probably before next year, and I'm considering many of the same shelters you are. I made a big huge comparison chart of shelters that will fit in the back of my Forester that you might be interested in:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z5I0nsjJZGPsn5zUDKxPGBAWq6v5txhYKdJR1golvBg/edit?usp=sharing

I'm not quite done with it yet, but still has lots of info, I think.

I haven't made my decision yet, but am leaning toward the Sierra Thermal or the Frabil Bro Sidestep.

Wow, that chart is awesome. you had some time on your hands haha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.