Author Topic: How many holes with one battery do you get?  (Read 11929 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: How many holes with one battery do you get?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:01 PM »
I'm not the OP your asking this ? to but I use a Ridgid 1/2  18v (R860071B). I've looked on the drill and batteries and I don't see any AH. All that's on the bat is LI-ION 27 WH.

I'm no electrician I searched for a Wh to mAh calculator and found one that said 27Wh at 18v equals 1500 mah. this really doesn't tell me anything, it could men 100ah for 15 hours or 50ah for 30 hours.

If they are the "slim" batteries they are probably 1.5 ah ....mah =milliamp hours
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:21 PM »
I use a 20v Dewalt with 4amp hr batteries ,using a 5" lazer auger with 18" of ice we drilled 93 holes first time out . The air temp was single numbers when we started that day.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:52 PM »
I use a 20v Dewalt with 4amp hr batteries ,using a 5" lazer auger with 18" of ice we drilled 93 holes first time out . The air temp was single numbers when we started that day.
.      Damn I hope after that many holes u caught some fish !!

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Some days are tuffer than others ,funny though on though's type days seems no matter how many places you drill they just aren't biting,?????

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Contractors use the better ones all day and every day in all sorts of weather. I would certainly cover it while not in use but a little rain should not be that big of a deal. On the bitter cold days I remove the battery after I drill holes and keep it in the shanty where it should be warmer.

Gam
Exactly!!!  I wouldn't leave it outside the shack in the rain but a bit on it while drilling should be fine.  I generally pull the batt.'s when I am out there but have only a couple of day trips under my belt where i left them on and exposed to the cold.  They performed well all day but cannot speak expertly on the effects of cold on batteries.  I don't risk it on a weekend trip, I would have to assume the cold would eventually drain them a bit.  Even through three feet of ice in Northern Minnesota, the drill and auger setup only takes a few seconds to cut and it doesn't load the drill to where it seems to be working very hard.  I have had it chug a bit on lag bolts when working with wood, but never on the ice!  I wish I could convey how incredible a setup this is but until you have one and use it, there is no way to accurately explain the efficiency with which it operates.  I rarely use it without at least one guy or sometimes groups of fisherman come over to watch me drill holes as an example.  I can't overemphasize the need for the drill to be brushless though.  You will burn up a regular drill eventually.  I can't believe I ran a gasser for so long! 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:08 PM »
M18 5AH battery (brand new) 8"Mora -9f. Drilled 30+ holes in 10" hard ice, had one bar left on the battery power scale.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Stop being so hard headed. We tell you what is needed. That battery will not work. Step up or step out.
Chill out Bee...just asking and getting great advice. Talking to a tech guy at work said he thought a bigger battery on my drill might not handle the extra juice (over heat the smaller wires), thus I thought I'd present this to experts like you. I do get it, I need a bigger battery. Just wasn't sure my drill and bigger battery were compatible. Or do I need to get a new drill with bigger battery. Eventually, that's what I'm going to do.  But before I invested in that, wanted advice, which I've gotten. Thanks everyone.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Chill out Bee...just asking and getting great advice. Talking to a tech guy at work said he thought a bigger battery on my drill might not handle the extra juice (over heat the smaller wires), thus I thought I'd present this to experts like you. I do get it, I need a bigger battery. Just wasn't sure my drill and bigger battery were compatible. Or do I need to get a new drill with bigger battery. Eventually, that's what I'm going to do.  But before I invested in that, wanted advice, which I've gotten. Thanks everyone.

Your tech guy at work is either misinformed or not understanding. He probably thinks you are talking about getting a bigger voltage battery, like going from an 18 volt to a 20 volt in which case he is right. We are telling you to get the exact same voltage battery as the one you now have but with a much larger capacity as in a 1.5 Amp Hour to a 5.0 Amp hour which just holds more charge but delivers the exact same amount of juice but for much longer.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #68 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:50 PM »
I just drilled 25 thru 14" with a MKE Mud Mixer and a 5Ah battery. Started to slow down on the last couple and showed one bar. Probably could have gotten a couple/few more.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Your tech guy at work is either misinformed or not understanding. He probably thinks you are talking about getting a bigger voltage battery, like going from an 18 volt to a 20 volt in which case he is right. We are telling you to get the exact same voltage battery as the one you now have but with a much larger capacity as in a 1.5 Amp Hour to a 5.0 Amp hour which just holds more charge but delivers the exact same amount of juice but for much longer.

Gam
Thanks Gam....got it.  I appreciate your help.
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:08 AM »
I have a Milwaukee Fuel with 4ah batteries which is about 5 years old now. Just purchased an 8" Kdrill and get about 12 holes 12" of ice  out of each battery! This is not acceptable and I'm sure the batteries are getting tired. Therefore I just ordered 2 9ah batteries that should do the trick!

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:07 PM »
I wonder if Dewalt makes a 9 AH battery???  I have never looked!  I just got back from Rush Lake MInnesota and we drilled right around 20 or so test holes before dropping the shack.  Popped the six holes in the house and two tip up holes.  The battery was getting close to spent.  The ice was about 30 inches thick so I was not too upset.  I feel like 28 holes on one battery through 30 inches of ice is very acceptable.  I still had a second battery in my coat pocket. 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #72 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:23 PM »
I wonder if Dewalt makes a 9 AH battery???  I have never looked!  I just got back from Rush Lake MInnesota and we drilled right around 20 or so test holes before dropping the shack.  Popped the six holes in the house and two tip up holes.  The battery was getting close to spent.  The ice was about 30 inches thick so I was not too upset.  I feel like 28 holes on one battery through 30 inches of ice is very acceptable.  I still had a second battery in my coat pocket.

YES SIR ....not certain which chargers do and do not work on these

https://www.cpooutlets.com/dewalt-dcb609-20v-60v-max-9-0ah-cordless-lithium-ion-flexvolt-battery/dewndcb609,default,pd.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ifnoiceImnotfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:42 PM »
I usually get about 40-50 holes per 3ah Dewalt 20v. But sometimes when I am looking for fish I might drill more then 90 holes (got two batteries). So I just put in a 20ah 12v battery with cigarette lighter plug and 2 usbs. Then hooked up a solar controller and 12w flexible solar panel. Got it all mounted in my flipover tent. And bringing a small inverter so can bring my drill wall charger on the ice for those long days. Plus can charge the phone and speaker as well. Heck next time out, I might not come home.  :)

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:43 PM »
posted once before on the subject but since changed drill. Now im using the news dewalt 991p2 drill with 5ah batteries. Ive got a clam plate and 8 inch kdrill. Last weekend got the drill and went testing. Was on 7-9 inches o ice and drilled 103 holes before battery was totally dead. Noticed the dewalt is a lot smoother drill with the plate and the kdrill over the Milwaukee fuel. The dewalt is a 3 speed drill instead of two. Spins a bit slower in 1st (450rpm) then the Milwaukee(700) is why I think the hole count is so high. This weekend heading to some real thick ice and taking both drills to compare.
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline ifnoiceImnotfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:59 PM »
Thanks Gam....got it.  I appreciate your help.
Gam is right. Your Tech guy was probably thinking you were talking uping the amps not amp/hours  Uping the amps would not be good on the wiring. But amp hours (ah) is just a measurement of the how long the battery can run until drained. Like if your drill for instance can be used at a constant certain amount of power speed and torque and uses 1 amp at that setting. Then a 3ah battery will run for 3 hours at that level. But since the amp uses goes up and down with speed torque resistance etc. AND say the drill is using 3amps during use then the battery will last 1 hour. AND if the drill is using 6amps during that use then it will only last 30 minutes at that level. (I am trying to make amp hours easier to understand so any of you EE out there can keep the comments to themselves) :):)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 31, 2018, 04:09 PM »
My first day out with the new rig I drilled 32 holes in 9 inches of ice. I pushed the fuel gauge button and it still showed 4 out of 5 bars remaining. When I got home I put the battery on the charger which also shows the bars and it took about 5 minutes to be completely full and back to 5 bars. If we get 18 inches of ice by the time the king contest on the 18th is here I have no doubt I can drill 50 holes and still have juice to spare from one battery. Granted this is all brand new with super sharp blades on the auger and I think the age of the battery and the sharpness of your blades does play a big roll in all of this. I did a lot of research before I decided which drill to buy and it was a toss up between Makita, Rigid, Milwaukee and DeWalt. I went with the Milwaukee at $199 for the kit, drill, charger and 2 5AH batteries.

If anyone is looking for a nice SM gas Mag 2000 auger with 8 inch cut I know where one can be had for $175.

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #77 on: Jan 31, 2018, 04:28 PM »
I went with the Milwaukee at $199 for the kit, drill, charger and 2 5AH batteries.

Gam

That's a good deal on a 2704 ...where/when you find that?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 31, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Ebay and still there now but I think the shipping brought it up to $229

Gam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.