Author Topic: slow cutting kdrill  (Read 12424 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: slow cutting kdrill
« Reply #60 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Why would you need an ultralight drill auger if your fishing in a cabin on the ice all day lol..
I think it would be because of fumes from Gas Augers. Reopening holes isn't my thing either but you can't leave a shed on a lake in my Area.
<===Lefty===

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:15 PM »
I don't understand why they tell you to do that, I never have and it's not been a problem

That's good, I've needed to lift my Mora 6" to clear chips in deeper ice, but running a gear box, it takes it like a gas auger...

I can see the need for old holes on a hard side..

You can reopen holes with a Mora, its just not as pretty. You need to feather the downfeed more than usual.. I'm sure the gearbox might make a difference on old holes too..

<°)))>{

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 22, 2018, 03:25 PM »
Yeah, my buddy with a house next to mine on the lake uses a shaver blade to reopen holes in his house, sometimes it's rugged but not exactly a problem. His is an Ion. The big thing I notice is the shaver blades with electric are effortless. There is absolutely zero down-pressure needed. A chipper blade like a Jiffy or my K-drill seems to need a slight amount of down pressure. His Ion basically sucks itself into the ice, it's amazing.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:48 PM »
Because I also fish mobile and I don't want two augers. I have the same kit for fishing mobile that I do for the hardside. Nothing stays in my hardside because it all gets stolen all the time, it comes off the ice every night and I want a nice light auger. Someday when you are more experienced at fishing you might understand lol

Oh, so because you fish from a "hardside" or Shanty as the rest of the world knows them as, im not as experienced as you..Huh who knew.. Here i thought i didnt fish from a shanty because i dont like sitting on my duff in the same spot all day..

Im sure everyone who buys the kdrill does so because they fish from "hardsides" and have to reopen holes regularly lol.. Or maybe, just maybe, thats a small percentage of the owners, and most use them just like every other drill auger out there. But again, what do i know.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Oh, so because you fish from a "hardside" or Shanty as the rest of the world knows them as, im not as experienced as you..Huh who knew.. Here i thought i didnt fish from a shanty because i dont like sitting on my duff in the same spot all day..

Im sure everyone who buys the kdrill does so because they fish from "hardsides" and have to reopen holes regularly lol.. Or maybe, just maybe, thats a small percentage of the owners, and most use them just like every other drill auger out there. But again, what do i know.

LOL! lighten up buddy, it's a dumb forum. Relax, maybe you'll enjoy yourself! Lol
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:49 AM »
LOL! lighten up buddy, it's a dumb forum. Relax, maybe you'll enjoy yourself! Lol

Oh i get it, you just sling insults at random people on the internet for fun. My bad. You're much funnier now.  :cookoo:
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Jeezus, this is worse than the Chevy vs Ford Debate... ;D  Fish your own way.....If someone wants to run a K drill...let them run a K drill....IF someone wants to run something else like a Mora....Then they can run that.....Too many people think their own chosen way to get the job done is the only way... ;)  We have a saying in hiking  "Hike your own hike"... The same needs to be said about fishing...The old bazturd out there with a spud and a Schooly rod is probably kickin everyone's azz anyway... ;D

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:51 AM »
It's no secret that a shaver type blade is less agressive and will drill more holes on a battery charge than a chipper blade.  Speed and number of holes drilled shoudn't be the only deciding factors.  You need to consider weight (8" vs 8" and whether or not you will be using a clam plate)  you need to consider redrilling old holes and maybe using it on dirty ice and how much of ice you are drilling (extension).    This guy does a good jog of doing a simple demo and describing the pros/cons of each.  There are instances when a shave blade is preferred and others when a chipper works better.   If you are looking to save a few bucks and just want to make some holes, I think the best value is a good ol hand auger with a drill attachment and device to keep it from falling through the hole.   If you want to step it up and still use a shaver, get a nils and if you want a chipper get a kdrill.    Be sure to not cheap out on the drill/battery and you wont' be disappointed with your auger selection. 

Good review...Thanks for posting..

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Wow! I have the 7 inch mora which I could put 8 inch blades on Makes the $250 k-drill look like it might be returned. That trigger breaking looks scary though.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Wow! I have the 7 inch mora which I could put 8 inch blades on Makes the $250 k-drill look like it might be returned. That trigger breaking looks scary though.
You know I was thinking about that trigger also. I think some one could modify it a little where it evens out the pressure on the trigger.
<===Lefty===

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Being I'm waiting for my plate to come in the mail I called Clam they said that they have never heard of a trigger problem ever. Not saying it did not happen to the guy it did. In another auger post someone posted pictures and it looks straight on looks like a installation issue? Before I forget I had the first clam plate had issues with that but the new ones are good is what i'm gathering.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Regarding the broken trigger issue, a few thoughts..

The Clam plate has been around long enough as to where if there was a trigger issue, it would have been brought up well before this season...

In the video he demonstrated how if he "locked" (meaning the position in the middle, between forward and reverse) his drill, the Clam trigger mechanism can put a lot of pressure on the trigger when you try to run it when you don't want it to function... Stupid.. Equals, locking your breaks really hard and stomping the gas pedal, and then complaining about a broken drive shaft.. When something isn't supposed to go, and you force it, it breaks... The drill didn't fail, the Clam plate did what it was supposed to do, the operator was to blame..

Why lock your drill then try to make it go??? Or when you get to the ice and your auger won't run, squeeze the trigger extra hard, yeah that'll do it.. Lol

A final note for anyone still worried about it, some bees wax, soap, chap stick, might work for a little better sliding on the works...

<°)))>{

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Ice Scratcher that makes sense, thanks

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #73 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:00 PM »
Regarding the broken trigger issue, a few thoughts..

The Clam plate has been around long enough as to where if there was a trigger issue, it would have been brought up well before this season...

In the video he demonstrated how if he "locked" (meaning the position in the middle, between forward and reverse) his drill, the Clam trigger mechanism can put a lot of pressure on the trigger when you try to run it when you don't want it to function... Stupid.. Equals, locking your breaks really hard and stomping the gas pedal, and then complaining about a broken drive shaft.. When something isn't supposed to go, and you force it, it breaks... The drill didn't fail, the Clam plate did what it was supposed to do, the operator was to blame..

Why lock your drill then try to make it go??? Or when you get to the ice and your auger won't run, squeeze the trigger extra hard, yeah that'll do it.. Lol

A final note for anyone still worried about it, some bees wax, soap, chap stick, might work for a little better sliding on the works...

<°)))>{
After watching the video again I would have to say the same. OE  Operator Error.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #74 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:10 PM »
This past weekend I placed my Dewalt/Clam Plate/8"Kdrill to front rack of my ATV ...then I placed a thick garment storage bag over it for the dust/salt/sand that I experience while traveling on the road.. bungeed that down...when I got to my location...my set up would not work ...couple choice words later noticed the trigger lock was engaged .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:17 PM »
Really this is very important...

While traveling, be sure to at least lock your trigger, even better, remove the battery..

That Clam plate trigger is easy to bump on, even a bare drill trigger can accidentally get pushed...

I've already heard a couple stories about augers coming to life at the wrong times....

<°)))>{

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #76 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:19 PM »
Really this is very important...

While traveling, be sure to at least lock your trigger, even better, remove the battery..

That Clam plate trigger is easy to bump on, even a bare drill trigger can accidentally get pushed...

I've already heard a couple stories about augers coming to life at the wrong times....

<°)))>{

I remove the battery ...had my drill jump alive on me securing some gear in my sled atop my ATV..learns ya quick.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:39 PM »

The 7" mora blade width is actua bigger than the 8" K-drill. 7" mora is 7.5" while the 8" K-drill is 7.25".

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 23, 2018, 12:49 PM »
I remove the battery ...had my drill jump alive on me securing some gear in my sled atop my ATV..learns ya quick.

X3!  Happened to me Friday.  Had loaded my sled with the larger items including the Mud Mixer/Nils and was tossing the smaller, more crammable stuff on top when something(may have been my beers) :whistle: I tossed in hit the trigger on the Mud Mixer.  Yeah, it wakes you right up!  LOL!  Cover was on and none the worse for wear, but the new rule is:  Battery is DISCONNECTED from power head when not actively drilling holes.  End of story.
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Quote: The 7" mora blade width is actually bigger than the 8" K-drill. 7" mora is 7.5" while the 8" K-drill is 7.25".

Wow thats an eye opener is the 6 inch mora actually 7 inches?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:12 PM »
X3!  Happened to me Friday.  Had loaded my sled with the larger items including the Mud Mixer/Nils and was tossing the smaller, more crammable stuff on top when something(may have been my beers) :whistle: I tossed in hit the trigger on the Mud Mixer.  Yeah, it wakes you right up!  LOL!  Cover was on and none the worse for wear, but the new rule is:  Battery is DISCONNECTED from power head when not actively drilling holes.  End of story.

Shoot! Lol...

Just think if she came alive while under tow on an 8 mile trip behind a sled to Erie walleye grounds...  :o

<°)))>{

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 23, 2018, 02:11 PM »
buddy borrowed the kdrill (he went north before we had good ice here) and when he got back he said the first 20 minutes of his outing was the worst because he couldnt' figure out the drill.    at first he said it wouldn't go at all and then after a few minutes of fidgeting realized the lock was on.  THEN he was like, why is this drilling so poorly.  and after every hole he would get soaked by water.   until he realized that its supposed to be on 1.   

was pretty funny when he called. 

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Quote: The 7" mora blade width is actually bigger than the 8" K-drill. 7" mora is 7.5" while the 8" K-drill is 7.25".

The 6" mora is exactly 6 inches accordingto my tape measure. And as a correction, the 8" k drill is 7 3/8" actual diameter (according to an owner). So the 7" mora is 1/8" wider than the 8" K-drill. I'm not complaining, it just seems that there's a lot of variation between manufacturers

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:11 PM »
The 6" mora is exactly 6 inches accordingto my tape measure. And as a correction, the 8" k drill is 7 3/8" actual diameter (according to an owner). So the 7" mora is 1/8" wider than the 8" K-drill. I'm not complaining, it just seems that there's a lot of variation between manufacturers

What I’d like to know is what genius said, “Hey, let’s make it 7 3/8” in diameter to save some cash but call it an 8” Auger!”  Did they really think no one would notice???  Laughable stupidity and insulting!  Probably cut from the same cloth as the moron that decided to cut a 1 1/2” X 3 1/2” board and still call it a 2X4!

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #84 on: Jan 23, 2018, 05:32 PM »
That would be the Moron family. They go back many generations. 
<===Lefty===

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #85 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:08 PM »
Going back to the clam plate......

You guys are 100% right when it comes to the positioning of the drill.

While I have the Gen 2 plate....I learned things the hard way with it in year one. There are a lot of "adjustable" parts.....they all need to be adjusted correctly or issues happen.....One of the things I've seen guys posting on here was a spring modification so the lever will kick back disengaging the auger.....I had issues with mine sticking and not working like it should......once you get the adjustments correct and things correctly tightened down the drill trigger should line up correctly with the trigger and have enough force to kick out. Once set no issues.....no need for the spring......just looking at the way the guy had it set up on his drill in the video.....it doesn't look like he had it adjusted even close to what he should have. While you can just slap the drill in and it works......getting it to work smoothly that's some time to get the adjustments right.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #86 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:16 PM »

Better have your measuring instruments calibrated. 2 different k-Drills I've seen and measured are 7.50 inches. If the driving parts are good and running concentric you'll cut a 7.50 inch hole. Maybe someone will start a class-action lawsuit against whoever and everyone will get their money back.
Better yet next years blades will be bigger and will cut a 8.50 diameter hole. NOT out of the question as Mora and Nils 8 inch auger bodies are a full 1 inch smaller than the cutting head.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:18 PM »
One of the things I've seen guys posting on here was a spring modification so the lever will kick back disengaging the auger.....I had issues with mine sticking and not working like it should......once you get the adjustments correct and things correctly tightened down the drill trigger should line up correctly with the trigger and have enough force to kick out.

Exactly, no springs needed, my trigger spring works great to stop the auger, although I use a bushing to keep the trigger handle from falling toward the main (blue) plate, and flopping back and forth...

<°)))>{

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Jan 23, 2018, 06:53 PM »
I replaced my rubber band contraption with a castration band on the power lever to act as a stop like one of the other posters suggested (and very similar to Scratcher’s bushing solution).  Money!  Works perfectly!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Jan 23, 2018, 07:07 PM »
I replaced my rubber band contraption with a castration band on the power lever to act as a stop like one of the other posters suggested (and very similar to Scratcher’s bushing solution).  Money!  Works perfectly!

Yep, works the same, I probably would have used one of those, c-bands, but never been around em, thank God!  ;)

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.